cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's short term gains for ditching Paypal

Is destroying Ebay's business IMO......Ebay lost sight of Sellers are Buyers, and Buyers are Sellers....which worked great under Paypal's Platform......change is not always good !

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Ebay's short term gains for ditching Paypal

I thought you could use your 'pending payments' to 'spend', buying things on eBay....therefore, really NO need for Paypal (unless you WANT to use PP for buying, which you can easily still do); 

If using Paypal Credit, buy with that credit and then 'pay the credit back from the bank that eBay is depositing 'sales $$ from'.

Message 16 of 44
latest reply

Can't make offers (and sometimes bids) anymore without designating a "payment source" and that does NOT include either PP Credit or pay by 4 OR your 'spendable funds".

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 17 of 44
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

Can't make offers (and sometimes bids) anymore without designating a "payment source" and that does NOT include either PP Credit or pay by 4 OR your 'spendable funds".

Not only did 'offers' and this 'prepayment exist' when Paypal was here, so EVERYTHING is different, except what I asked- for 'typical' buyer/seller; can't a person now use 'spendable funds'??

Then, giving an exception for offers as I only 'buy things' and save the games (offers, auctions) for Dave & Busters.....

with that said, so does 80% of the worlds population- see now, buy now, gratification now...so for MOST, what I said works. 

Message 18 of 44
latest reply

Over and above the fact that eBay was pressured to sell Paypal (which eBay resisted for some time), the trope that 'sellers are buyers' here I think is grossly over-emphasized. It was never a closed system, particularly as time went on.

This topic is an old retread, anyway, and reminds me of the yet even older one when eBay went to Paypal only and sellers were wailing about no more checks and money orders and this was going to doom eBay.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 19 of 44
latest reply

@bennotbill 

As a seller it's no longer quick and easy to start selling.

And that's a Good Thing.

I suspect that having to struggle through Managed Payments registration, including giving a valid SSN and  valid checking account information means that it is more difficult now to hijack abandoned accounts.

No more money from sales in PayPal to spend on eBay.

I miss having money in my PP account, since I prefer to anonymize my financials online to strangers. But MP is still providing that anonymizing service to buyers.

I believe MP is working on making Held funds available to sellers for eBay purchases, but in the meantime I'm getting money in my bank account every week and available to spend anywhere.

Message 20 of 44
latest reply

Actually, I hated those days of checks and even cash in envelopes.....you were reliant on post office to deliver the funds, and banks to clear the checks first  before shipping....it was no fun running back and forth to the banks. Paypal on the other hand has always been a class act. If you had a problem with Paypal you could call them and get it resolved fast, with an American speaking person......ever tried calling Ebay ?

Message 21 of 44
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

You cannot use a rinky-dink method which does not permit credit authorization holds. If PayPal implemented an authorization hold, it might be capable of use. Similarly spendable funds.

Ebay does not accept CASH for make an offer either. Same problem.

Message 22 of 44
latest reply

@zip-a-deedoodah wrote:

Selling on a a whim on eBay back in the days of PayPal assumes you already had a PayPal account, if you didn’t that took all the whim out of the whim.

As most buyers already used PayPal, having a go at selling required only the slightest whim.

Message 23 of 44
latest reply

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but the switch from paypal to managed payments had no affect whatsoever on buyers.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 24 of 44
latest reply

@reallynicestamps wrote:

@bennotbill 

As a seller it's no longer quick and easy to start selling.

And that's a Good Thing.

I think the quick and easy part was good in most ways because it led to many people having a go at selling some of the interesting items that they had just lying around. It was these often odd, rare, and hard to find items that attracted many of the buyers to eBay.

Message 25 of 44
latest reply

It did, for buyers and sellers alike....some left and never came back.....people are now use to the managed payment system now, as they have no choice.....but that doesn't make it a better system than Paypal.....Paypal to me was much easier to follow than having to go to bank account and Ebay's monthly sales report and cross check sales/money received in checking account......plus you could use Paypal funds to buy out of your account, borrow money out of Paypal account.....everything was neatly under one account....Paypal

Message 26 of 44
latest reply

@carbideliquidator wrote:

It did, for buyers and sellers alike....some left and never came back.....people are now use to the managed payment system now, as they have no choice.....but that doesn't make it a better system than Paypal.....Paypal to me was much easier to follow than having to go to bank account and Ebay's monthly sales report and cross check sales/money received in checking account......plus you could use Paypal funds to buy out of your account, borrow money out of Paypal account.....everything was neatly under one account....Paypal

Again, please tell me how it affected buyers?

Buyers have no clue who is handling a sellers payments, paypal or managed payments.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 27 of 44
latest reply

@inhawaii wrote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong,  but the switch from paypal to managed payments had no effect whatsoever on buyers.

As it was finally implemented, no, it had no effect on buyers. However, the original proposal was to dump PayPal entirely from the eBay platform under Managed Payments, including as a payment source for buyers, which led to a jaw-dropping moment I remember during a phone interview with eBay many years ago now... maybe 2016, something like that.

I was incredulous when asked my opinion of the proposed (at that time) Managed Payments scheme in which buyers would not be able to use PayPal anymore. After going back and forth with the guy to be sure I was understanding him properly, I finally spluttered something to the effect that if they wanted to nuke 80%-90% of their sales overnight, that would be a great way to do it. Fortunately nothing ever came of that.

Message 28 of 44
latest reply

So this is the reason my shipping label fees are suddenly coming out my current funds or my bank account instead of Paypal? And I cannot change it back. 

Message 29 of 44
latest reply

Believe or not, there was a great majority of sellers on Ebay that also bought from Ebay......sellers are buyers, buyers are sellers....this was great for Ebay...they got you coming and going...and it was very, very easy under the Paypal account....you could track what you sold, what you could spend, what you did spend...all under one account...if you make it more difficult for sellers to buy, they'll just move on...and that happened...and some sellers closed their Ebay accounts altogether  after the change.......as far as the general public buying on Ebay through their credit card, managed payment system means nothing to them

Message 30 of 44
latest reply