cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay's short term gains for ditching Paypal

Is destroying Ebay's business IMO......Ebay lost sight of Sellers are Buyers, and Buyers are Sellers....which worked great under Paypal's Platform......change is not always good !

Message 1 of 44
latest reply
43 REPLIES 43

Re: Ebay's short term gains for ditching Paypal

@inhawaii wrote:

Again, please tell me how it affected buyers?

It never affected those that were solely buyers.

But as a buyer and a seller I only used to spend what was in my PayPal account.

Message 31 of 44
latest reply

Ebay wants Amazon's customers, not customers who are watching the pennies, and only spending what is in their PayPal account.

They have been trying for years to get those customers, and are succeeding in categories like books, music and collectibles. Categories in which they have not lost their past customers in.

The problem is, they cannot get Amazon's customers for the bulk of the things Amazon sells because Ebay is full of sellers who are not competitive and not reliable selling those items.

Last quarters results made it clear that Ebay does not have the right sellers for those items, the right products and the right prices. If it can acquire more of the right sellers, they could afford to lose some of the old style Ebay buyers on limited incomes.  A big IF.

Message 32 of 44
latest reply

I thought that was a big thing, cross selling from Amazon to Ebay....and vice-versa . same products just different selling platforms ?.....and there is cross selling from Walmart to Ebay, Home Depot, Lowes, Target....they are all cross selling

Message 33 of 44
latest reply

IMO I think it's one of the best changes they've made. There is absolutely no reason why someone who wants to sell on one website should be forced to make an account on another. Everything should be handled through the site that they're planning to sell on via one single account for that site and that site alone.

Message 34 of 44
latest reply

@toomuchstuffagain35 wrote:

There was no issue with fee "transparency" for those sellers who actually took note of what fees they were paying and for what.

No, but it was more hassle, because it was not all in one place.  At least, I found it so. 

-

Message 35 of 44
latest reply

Adyen  forced ebay to remove  24  category's  which included   Ticket's half .com   because  they would not process the payments  do to EU regulations  and laws  .   I was a dealer in 3 of the categories  are gone from the site  . Adyen  couldn't match the low fees paypal charged me for processing .    Far as the international market buyers  stopped buying from me do to the shipping  cost  .      

Message 36 of 44
latest reply

Yes it was do to the shareholders  the main one was carl icon   a Croney   of  orange 45.   

Message 37 of 44
latest reply

Yes you  are correct. 

Message 38 of 44
latest reply

Ebay  is still made up of second market  and third party sellers .   eBay  will never get Wearhouse's  because  they will not spend the money on them or for employee's to work them .  Ebay's business model was and still is  a platform  Venue  . Ebay still has in their UA  Both Utah  &  California   Contract  law .        

Message 39 of 44
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

... This topic is an old retread, anyway, and reminds me of the yet even older one when eBay went to Paypal only and sellers were wailing about no more checks and money orders and this was going to doom eBay.

Don't forget the wailing and gnashing of teeth when the change was from Billpoint to PayPal, which also was going to doom eBay.  That was around 2002-2003.

-

Message 40 of 44
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

IMO I think it's one of the best changes they've made. There is absolutely no reason why someone who wants to sell on one website should be forced to make an account on another. Everything should be handled through the site that they're planning to sell on via one single account for that site and that site alone.

With different rules, yet.

IAC, Paypal couldn't wait to terminate the contract with eBay, which was significantly holding them back. As of even two years ago Paypal's market capitalization was $295 billion v eBay’s $40 billion. This is all relative, however, as there is more growth potential in payments, but still, it was quite an acceleration from a company some pundits were moaning would tank without eBay.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 41 of 44
latest reply

2002? Weren’t people still using WordPerfect back then….  There are people today who were born in 2002 who now are close to graduating from college, wasn’t Meg Whitman the CEO of eBay (Meg who GenZ says)?  Do you think Billpoint had an impact on the price of tea in China? 😁

Message 42 of 44
latest reply

@chapeau-noir wrote:

... IAC, Paypal couldn't wait to terminate the contract with eBay, which was significantly holding them back. As of even two years ago Paypal's market capitalization was $295 billion v eBay’s $40 billion. This is all relative, however, as there is more growth potential in payments, but still, it was quite an acceleration from a company some pundits were moaning would tank without eBay.

And PayPal was tired of fronting the money to sellers, giving them fast payouts when payments had, in fact, not yet cleared (and PayPal ate the losses in cases where the payments never cleared and PayPal was never able to collect.)

PayPal no longer does that, by the way.  PayPal also puts a 21-day hold on payouts to new and infrequent sellers, sellers with too many customer complaints, sellers who deal in high-risk items, seller's whose selling patterns show unusual changes.

-

Message 43 of 44
latest reply

After they sold paypal, they then added more revenue by having their own processor. SMART BUSINESS MOVE. REMEMBER, we are all on here because ebay continues to survive.

Message 44 of 44
latest reply