cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay price guarantee selling iPhone 6s denied -- seems incorrect

I had received the price guarantee email (for $311.12) when I listed a 128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6s.

I sold two phones, mine and my wife's. Both had guarantees. My 64 gB model guarantee was honored, and I was sent the coupon.

When I did not receive anything on the 128 GB model, I called in. I was told it was deemed ineligable because of in my description I put "Two very small missing color spots on the back (see picture). " and thus it was deemed not meeting the conditions of the offer. Here's the listing photo of the back of the phone:

The back of the phone -- missing color spots are lower left side of phoneThe back of the phone -- missing color spots are lower left side of phone

I looked up the conditions of the offer, and per my phone conversations the following are the relavent eBay summary of the exclusions include:

• Listings must have an accurate title, description and photograph of the actual cell phone being listed.
  • Listings must have a reasonable shipping charge, defined as the lesser of $15 or the average, usual, and/or customary range for similar or identical cell phones.
  • Listings not created through the use of a catalog made available through eBay are ineligible.
  • Items in "For parts or not working/repair" and "Seller Refurbished" condition are not eligible for the Promotion.
  • Items with a cracked screen, non-functional camera, broken buttons, prior water damage, or otherwise in a poor cosmetic and functional condition are also not eligible for the Promotion.

I strongly believe I fully complied with this. I included pictures of the actual phone, front and back. I accurately described the phone -- perhaps too accurately. I cannot believe the two flecks in back picture reach the level of "poor cosmetic" condition.

Is there anyway to get this decision revisited and get the price guarantee applied?

It would be nice to get the $26.11 price guarantee coupon and the additional $20 gift card vs the questionable not eligible decision.

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Ebay price guarantee selling iPhone 6s denied -- seems incorrect

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

What does a promotion with a start date of November 16, 2015 -- more than 2 years ago! -- have to do with the OP's situation?  Talk about being inconsistent!

~~C~~

When it gives ebay an out.

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@cmodathome wrote:

I had received the price guarantee email (for $311.12) when I listed a 128GB Rose Gold iPhone 6s.

Is that stated someplace? I'm not seeing it in the conditions OP posted. How does the microscopic damage shown detract from "excellent" per the promo verbiage?

You and I are on the same page. Unfortnately, neither of us are eBay management.

Message 17 of 28
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

I would call that excellent any day of the week.

Like I said, ebay will do anything to not have to pay a dime to anyone - especially on the promos that probably changed their mind about selling it on here.

Think that this seller is going to use another promo like this or sell another cell phone here? I doubt it.

Yep -- I won't. I'm not a big time seller on eBay. But I am a member going back to 1998.

This indeed is costing eBay more good will the $ involved. It started with waiting and wondering when I would receive the coupon for the price difference, the other phone sent the coupon even before the phone was paid for. After never getting any email -- this includes not even an email saying I had been disqualified from the promotion, I called in. Even calling in was a horrible experience trying to find a number. But I talked to a CSR who looked at the picture and couldn't understand why it was denied. We both assumed whoever looked at the listing just saw the words and disn't bother to look at the picture. They submitted a goodwill coupon request because they did not know how to get the matter reviewed. At least this person called and left a message that their request had been denied.

This to me is really stupid on eBay's part. I don't understand the promotion and why they even bother offering it -- but eBay customer service compared to Amazon and other companies is terrible.

Message 18 of 28
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@duchess-at-speakeasy wrote:

What does a promotion with a start date of November 16, 2015 -- more than 2 years ago! -- have to do with the OP's situation?  Talk about being inconsistent!

~~C~~

Hi @duchess-at-speakeasy, the next portion of the Terms & Conditions clarifies that the promotion ends on December 31st, 2017. This would apply to the OP's situation.

Message 19 of 28
latest reply

SO the takeaway is ignore all the promotions because there is such a ridiculous amount of fine print and the whole thing is open to interpretations?

I long ago stopped shopping at Kohl's because their coupon / 99% off everything in the store stuff is so confusing and always nothing but a bunch of smoke and mirriors.

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 20 of 28
latest reply

@Anonymous

Fwiw Excellent is NOT the same as PERFECT..............

(and if it was PERFECT it would be worth a lot more, right?)

This is nitpickiness of the lowest imho

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 21 of 28
latest reply

@lookng2015 wrote:

@Anonymous

I've said it before in jest- but only half in jest- they should just simplify all that verbiage down into "the price guarantee no longer applies if the phone actually sells".

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 22 of 28
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@lookng2015 wrote:

@Anonymous

Hi @lookng2015, I checked on the listing process and can confirm that a definition of the cosmetic condition is provided when a selection is made. See the photo below for reference:

phone_listing_process.JPG

Excellent would be free of any scratches, dents or chips. Though there is no "Perfect" condition, Excellent would be the highest quality condition one could choose. 

I know that missing out on a promotion can be very frustrating and encourage reviewing all of the terms & conditions with any future offers.

Message 23 of 28
latest reply

Sounds like an excuse that an insurance company would use.
Message 24 of 28
latest reply

Wow, it states excellent condition, which it is, not "new" condition. Just another way eBay tries to get innocent sellers to list their phones when they are already at an extremely high risk of being scammed out of their phone and payment anyway. So disappointing.

Message 25 of 28
latest reply

Again, we have to differ as to what constitutes a "chip".

I have no idea how these listings are reviewed, but I suspect that had I not said anything about the missing color spots, this listing would have not been declared not eligable upon review of the listing. That is my primary annoyance in that I believe if the sentance was not included, the guarenteed sale promotion would have been honored -- and thus I strongly feel that the review of this listing should have been to the same level of review had I not included my sentance.

The other thing that is really poor customer relations wise is to not even notify me that the listing wad deemed ineligable for the promotion. It's **bleep** poor that I have wonder what's going on and then call in to find out.

Message 26 of 28
latest reply

fwiw eBay is notorious for finding ways to weasel out of honouring these type of promos (not to mention when they do give coupons out they often don't work)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 27 of 28
latest reply

I'm not sure who at eBay stepped up to the plate, but I received an eBay coupon for $40 for selling my iPhone.

I will consider this matter "corrected" / "fixed", but it does taint how I will look at any future special promotions.
Message 28 of 28
latest reply