cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay no longer backing its sellers who get unwarranted negative feedback.

Up until a few days ago Ebay was a great partner in removing unwarranted negative feedback. I never had to use any curtessy removals. Now when an ad specifically states an issue and shows an issue, the buyer can still leave negative feedback for exactly what the ad states. Opinion that goes directly against fact is defamitory and a lie. Ebay needs to go back to helping its sellers. We have been 100% Ebay sellers until now, 

Message 1 of 92
latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Re: Ebay no longer backing its sellers who get unwarranted negative feedback.

@tacdom wrote:

Ebay no longer cares about sellers. We are the ones that pay millions in seller fees and now they will let a buyer blast your company when the error is clearly the buyers mistake. We call daily about nasty feedback that has nothing to do with us, and since the removal process has disappeared, these nasty buyers get to run wild. It doesn't even matter if it is in your item specifics about a product, ebay no longer cares. As long and it is not vulgar language or a threat, that feedback stays. 

Thanks  for nothing ebay. Glad you enjoy our money. 

You don't help yourself any by posting responses in all caps, which denotes yelling in the written word.  Polite, professional and factual responses serve sellers best.  Most of the negative FB you have does not breach any of the Ebay rules for FB, which is likely why they wouldn't remove it for you.

Don't get me wrong.  I respect and know how annoying this is.  And every time you have reason to pop into your FB page it digs at you a bit.  I do understand.

Ebay has recently tightened their belts on what FB they will remove.  But still they do remove FB that breaches policy.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 76 of 92
latest reply

We have been having a problem of late with the feedback from customers using drop shippers.  We used to be able to get the feedback removed, but something has changed of late.  In short, what generally happens is a buyer will buy a parts unit and have it shipped to a US address.  From there it gets shipped overseas.  Right before the 30 days is up, we get a message saying some usually doesn't work or they had to buy a part and they want a partial refund.  We then asked them to return the item, but they couldn't because it went overseas.  Then they leave negative reviews.  Again, this is generally on parts units.  It's extorsion; you give me a partial and I won't leave negative feedback.  It's hard catching all these little drop-ship locations.  eBay has been good about working with us on these cases, but it's changed.  Now it's automated and we can't do anything about it.  These buyers are violating eBay policy and are no longer covered by the MBG, since they are in violation, how the heck are they allowed to leave feedback?

Message 77 of 92
latest reply

@reuseitjax wrote:

We have been having a problem of late with the feedback from customers using drop shippers.  We used to be able to get the feedback removed, but something has changed of late.  In short, what generally happens is a buyer will buy a parts unit and have it shipped to a US address.  From there it gets shipped overseas.  Right before the 30 days is up, we get a message saying some usually doesn't work or they had to buy a part and they want a partial refund.  We then asked them to return the item, but they couldn't because it went overseas.  Then they leave negative reviews.  Again, this is generally on parts units.  It's extorsion; you give me a partial and I won't leave negative feedback.  It's hard catching all these little drop-ship locations.  eBay has been good about working with us on these cases, but it's changed.  Now it's automated and we can't do anything about it.  These buyers are violating eBay policy and are no longer covered by the MBG, since they are in violation, how the heck are they allowed to leave feedback?

I think you mean buyers using Freight Forwarders.

The most recent negative FB [last 6], do not qualify for removal going by the rules of feedback Ebay has, just going by what the buyers wrote.  

They still can return the items, they just choose not to.  In the future, encourage them to open a Request for Return.  Tell them without that, there is nothing you can do to help them.  You are happy to work with them, but they need to file this report first.

If the buyer is actually saying that if you give them a partial refund they will not leave you negative feedback in an email inside of the Ebay system, then you should be able to get it removed for feedback extortion.  But you need to contact Ebay and make sure you ask them to review the emails as that is where the buyer said this.

You can still contact Ebay to give them this info.  Ebay does want us to use the automated system first, but if that doesn't work, contact Ebay.  Have all your evidence ready to go.

I would suggest that you contact Ebay for Business on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter for the better trained CSRs.

Here are your options for contacting Ebay Customer Service.  Please be aware that for social media CS, you send them a Private Message and briefly explain what your problem or issue is.  Feel free to leave your Name, address, phone number and/or your email address in this message.  It is private and secure and it may help to speed up the response for you.

https://twitter.com/askebay

https://www.facebook.com/eBay/

https://www.instagram.com/ebayforsellers/

Your options will be on the left.  If you use the link below you can only get to the Automated Assistant or Chat box type AGENT in the box and hit enter. You will then get more options.  Not all options are available 24/7.  It will depend on staffing available.  So sometimes you can request a call back and sometimes you can't.  Sometimes you have the Chat option available and other times it won't me.  If it is important to you to use one of those options, just try back later.

If you use a cell phone or other mobile device, you may need to turn off your Spam filter so that Ebay can call you.

If you are a seller outside of the US or Canada, you will need to use the Chat Option.

https://www.ebay.com/help/home

Message 78 of 92
latest reply

Back before ebay decided that the buyers could do no wrong and all had halo's over their heads, the playing field was level where seller could also leave their opinion at the buyers performance and the buyers were aware of it and made them stop and pause before they left inaccurate feedbacks.  It worked quite well and had very little abuse but more like a mutual respect.

I also get many questions and have for awhile from buyers that just simply do not read before engaging fingers and pushing the buy button, when you get questions like "what color is your red floor mats" (I used to write for a monthly collector magazine and my editor had taught me to always keep it simple so that anyone who read it would understand it) it sends up a red flag as a potential problem down the road and have to flip a coin as to whether or not to block ahead of time or not....works pretty well for me....

I will give much credit to ebay in getting the "inaccurate" feedbacks corrected for a long time as when you get ahold of the right tech, common sense will and does prevail. However it has been sliding down a slippery hole here, I have been on here 27 years and getting tired of all the headaches and I would be lying if I said I have not noticed all the etsy promotions popping up on the net and TV which tells me they must be doing pretty good.

Message 79 of 92
latest reply

I am ready to go to Etsy as well friend

Message 80 of 92
latest reply

@willownook73 

Quicksilver is still a very active seller on this site.

If you are considering Etsy, make sure you do your homework as they have been changing their rules significantly the last few months.  It may not be what you are dreaming it is.

This is a VERY old thread.

Message 81 of 92
latest reply

We have 6 negatives this year all unwarranted. We just left comments under each explaining the situation. 
6 years at 100% feedback until this year. 
The latest was yesterday a buyer returned a laptop claiming it didn’t work as described. I opened up the laptop they removed parts. I notified eBay and gave a partial refund minus the missing parts. eBay opened a case and closed the case in our favor. I reported the buyer for misuse of returns. They then left negative feedback. eBay refuses to remove it. Now I guess we just let people steal from us? 
All our negative feedback has been by buyers with less than 50 feedbacks. 

Message 82 of 92
latest reply

Ours lied about the product. Had 12 and slandered us calling one of our most popular yarns ugly and not as described. We blocked her and she still left negative FB. Shocking. 

Message 83 of 92
latest reply

I feel feedback removal had gotten out of hand for ebay and was taking up way too much time.  Those courtesy feedback removals seemed to have tipped the scales way too far, so when ebay fixed that it seems they went completely the other way.   Based on numerous threads they have also eliminated many of the automatic removals that were part seller protections.  I'm not sure if they have changed the published policies for removal or not. 

Message 84 of 92
latest reply

@mkys2021 wrote:

Ours lied about the product. Had 12 and slandered us calling one of our most popular yarns ugly and not as described. We blocked her and she still left negative FB. Shocking. 

@mkys2021 

Blocking a buyer AFTER they purchased something from you does not take away their right to leave feedback on the transaction.  I'm unsure why you are shocked.  What would be shocking is if a buyer with a valid transaction was NOT able to leave feedback.  Now that would be unfair.

The FB they left is not "slander".  Nor does it break any rule of Ebay, so that would be why Ebay would not remove it now or even before they started being a bit more picky about what they removed.

I know it is so annoying to get a negative FB and it simply doesn't feel good, but it is not likely to hurt your sales any unless you respond to the feedback in a way that is not professional.

Message 85 of 92
latest reply

@fern*wood wrote:

I feel feedback removal had gotten out of hand for ebay and was taking up way too much time.  Those courtesy feedback removals seemed to have tipped the scales way too far, so when ebay fixed that it seems they went completely the other way.   Based on numerous threads they have also eliminated many of the automatic removals that were part seller protections.  I'm not sure if they have changed the published policies for removal or not. 

I take no issue with that.  I support Ebay's decision to stop doing the courtesy fb removal.  It was long overdue.

However I and all the rest of us seller pay fees to sell on this site.  We have every right to expect Customer Service and not take things too far.  If a feedback breaks policy, then it simply should get removed.  There doesn't or shouldn't be some big discussion about it.  If it breaks policy it should be removable period.  Otherwise if Ebay doesn't want to support their own policy, change it.  And that they have not done.

Message 86 of 92
latest reply

- retracted -

Message 87 of 92
latest reply

This is Bonnie's Vice President of Logistics now.  As the title implies, I am the logic of our operation, while Bonnie (Mrs. Knits herself) is the artistic and marketing genius.  So I will take the emotion out of the equation.

The feedback was definitely slander, and definitely in violation of eBay policy.  Multiple eBay employees said the violation of policy is very obvious.  But they also would not take down the false statement in the negative feedback.  Even though the customer, in their own words in a message to us, was disappointed to receive exactly what we described in the listing.  Then the feedback said "Not as described".  This one is not even close!

We'll take our lumps if we really screwed up.  But the fact is that the few times we really do mess up something, we communicate heavily with the affected customer.  This customer led with effectively demanding a service we never offered in our listings: winding off yarn.  So we don't negotiate with completely unreasonable people who's first communication is an obvious eBay policy violation.  We went straight to reporting the buyer to eBay.  I know blocking them does not stop negative feedback, but a pending policy violation report should.

As someone else pointed out, we pay extra to eBay for seller protections, including customer fraud.  Since that seller protection is no longer being enforced, at least in seller feedback, we are leaving eBay after 20 years.  At least on our cheaper website we expect, and can respond to false negative reviews.  We stop selling here by end of Summer.

Phil

Message 88 of 92
latest reply

Of course that's your prerogative, but it seems a real shame to leave over feedback.  Yours is great and it seems doubtful it will have any adverse affect on your selling ability.  After doing all the work to create listings, it will be difficult to run me off.

Message 89 of 92
latest reply

You are correct the damage to our reputation is minimal. Ebay has made sense in the past when we needed to build a customer base but now our website is successful enough that we can sell on our own platform more profitably. Ebay has been shifting its policies for years to be seller hostile. 

Message 90 of 92
latest reply