cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is slowly dying.

Ebay management isn't doing a good job at promoting ebay and advertising on other platforms.  We've been selling on Ebay for over 20 years.  Slowly it's dying and will soon be replaced by something else or taken over completely by Amazon.  Management has allowed it to die and are doing a crappy job of promotion.  

Message 1 of 132
latest reply
131 REPLIES 131

Re: Ebay is slowly dying.

Hi @acidtactical 

Eventually, everything dies … even Amazon.  😐

eBay started it all … and admittedly has not navigated its competition flawlessly … but it does seem to keep on truckin’ despite all predictions to the contrary.  🙂

Message 16 of 132
latest reply

In our opinion they need to do a better job of getting our products in front of Apple users.  Apple changed the way they show advertisements and products on their devices.  Ebay got left in the dust when they did that and Ebay did nothing to respond to it. 

They should have partnered with Apple rather than fighting them.  Perhaps adding apple pay or some type of Stripe payment to Ebay would help.  

In our case, we just did more work to make sure our products are still being seen by Apple users through other merchants and even our own websites.  

Message 17 of 132
latest reply

In our case we don't see this at all.  In fact, we can sell our products for more on Amazon and still get the sale for the same item on Amazon over Ebay.  It may be a different case for other people who are selling other companies brands which have a lot of competition but most of our products are created by us and our own brand.  

Message 18 of 132
latest reply

@bajasierra wrote:

I'm new here.  May I ask what site changes were most damaging?

Promoted listings which is pay to play instead of fixing the search engine to work properly, top down one size fits all service metrics, one size fits all business model, 110% buyer first and seller last, ZERO protections against chargebacks (except INRs), broken categories, their ridiculous fight with google, rolling brownouts, ludicrous policy like allowing buyers that have not paid to open INRs, greying out media mail for items that qualify.

There are maybe 100+more. This what is called death by 1000 cuts. 

Message 19 of 132
latest reply

So is the American Dream. 

Message 20 of 132
latest reply

@stainlessenginecovers wrote:

Ebay is a name that has been out there for 30 years. Everyone knows what it is. Like 7/11- they really don't need to advertise because like Cheers, everyone knows their name. 

No, "Cheers" is where everyone knows your name. Here on eBay, they need you to upload a photo ID. 😁

Message 21 of 132
latest reply

@acidtactical wrote:

In our case we don't see this at all.  In fact, we can sell our products for more on Amazon and still get the sale for the same item on Amazon over Ebay.  It may be a different case for other people who are selling other companies brands which have a lot of competition but most of our products are created by us and our own brand.  

You're comparing Apples and Oranges/Mango's & Vegetables.  The only similarity between Amazon and here is that they have third party vendors, it ends there.  Might as well compare Walmart to eBay.

Amazon is retailer, eBay is a venue.

Amazon AWS revenues alone in 2021 were over 60 billion dollars.  Amazon is an IT company not simply a point of sale, Amazon AWS powers a huge percentile of the Internet as a whole.  eBay is a venue.

Amazon is a courier having implemented its own freighting services.  eBay is a venue.

Amazon has warehousing services and packaging automation services.  eBay is a venue.

Amazon is a digital entertainment company providing eBooks, Movies on and on.  eBay is a venue.

Amazon is a consignor of millions of products from manufactures.  eBay is a venue.

Amazon is a card processor.  eBay is a venue.

I can go on...

Amazon does not need be anywhere near as reactionary to external conditions be they economic, manufacturer or governmental in comparison albeit that may change.  Its no secret at all that third party point of sale online venues are increasingly seeing governments and manufacturers wanting that to stop for many reasons both valid and invalid. Just as they'd like see Social Media be regulated but the how's and why's are in conflict with foundational principles of freedoms.

Amazon has been an evolution company where-as eBay doesn't have that option UNLESS they were to have made or are to make enormous changes that factor out lions share of private sellers.  eBay is completely unique among eCommerce and its closest to format competitors of any significance such as The Onsale Supersites, Surplus Direct, iDeal Networks on and on have long since fallen to mainly eBay and Amazon.  Amazon snarfed up the majority of enterprise level liquidators and eBay ended up with hordes of smaller ones along side private sellers / small businesses many of which vend at both...  In fact, many of which breach both venues terms of services in not selling competitive product/price across other competing venues.

I'd not be a bit surprised that at some point in the future there's a merger of Amazon and eBay, I know its been discussed at Amazon.  That is to say, Amazon becomes the hub point.  Sellers at Amazon all being manufacturer distributor, distributor liquidator direct, all enterprise level operations and eBay fill the rest.  FBA expanded to suit all sellers, meaning, there will be no self-shipping accept for those enterprise entities performing warehouse level fulfillment through Amazon direct sales.  This is HOW buckets of problems with consumer fraud, piracy w/ resale, counterfeit products, product that doesn't meet or exceed warrants of merchantability, sourcing of product from retailers not in that business and more get solutions.

eBay as a company is being squished between issue walls that surround the venue ranging from competitor sites, retail, manufacturer, distributorships, nations, governments and then some ALL completely out of the companies control.

eBays 2020 revenues were $8.894 Billion, Amazon's sales arm was $386 Billion and that matters.  It doesn't just matter in operating expense, advertising monies, on and on it matters in ALL areas of "Clout" and that means supplier clout, consumer clout, governmental clout and more.

Amazon is quite similar in period thought to Goodwill.  Let others gift us revenues whilst we expand and annihilate everything we care to in our path.  eBay on the other hand lives off a service fee trying provide folks a place to make a living or extra income as well as service businesses whilst people point fingers at them saying, "I pay you to work for me!"  How way wrong is that?  Does any Amazon seller of any significance say to Amazon, "I pay you to work for me!"  Oh hell no. 

Message 22 of 132
latest reply

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

Today's younger folks do not collect stuff. 

That's just it, though-- they DO collect stuff. They just don't collect the same stuff that the older generations did, so people who are selling that kind of stuff are going to be seeing falling sales as the older generations both literally die off and sell off their collections. Every time I go to a rummage sale, I can predict exactly what sorts of things are going to be left sitting around on the tables on Sunday because no one wanted them: china, glassware, Hummel figurines, etc.

Message 23 of 132
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

That's just it, though-- they DO collect stuff. They just don't collect the same stuff that the older generations did

Toys, video games and other pop culture.

They do not want carnival glass and big ugly brown furniture.

their kids will though because their parents hated it

Message 24 of 132
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@ms.rodriguez* wrote:

That's just it, though-- they DO collect stuff. They just don't collect the same stuff that the older generations did, so people who are selling that kind of stuff are going to be seeing falling sales as the older generations both literally die off and sell off their collections. Every time I go to a rummage sale, I can predict exactly what sorts of things are going to be left sitting around on the tables on Sunday because no one wanted them: china, glassware, Hummel figurines, etc.

This right here.  When I go to an antiques mall it's filled with dusty figurines and glass that have been sitting there seemingly for eons.  And there is SO MUCH of this stuff, everywhere, including here, because most of it has been mass produced for decades.  Honestly, even if someone much younger did want some, and I'm sure plenty do, there are any number of people who will just GIVE them the stuff just to pass it along - they don't need to come here, unless it is very specific.

“The most common way people give up their power is by thinking they don’t have any.”
— Alice Walker

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 25 of 132
latest reply

I spent 22 yrs selling. I am packing it in due to lack of sales. I refuse to sell my items dirt cheap. I'm donating to a battered women's shelter. ebay has sunk themselves. TaTa and Au Revoir

Message 26 of 132
latest reply

You can get $10 for the Hummels!

Message 27 of 132
latest reply

Managed Payments DO include ApplePay. Anyone making a purchase on an Apple device has the option.

As for advertising, I’ve seen ads for eBay on Insta and YouTube, can’t speak for network or cable TV.

Message 28 of 132
latest reply

People have been predicting the death of ebay for 20+ years.

Papa Was A Rolling Stone - The Temptations
Message 29 of 132
latest reply

We're all day-to-day.

Message 30 of 132
latest reply