cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay is misrepresenting insurance coverage via Allstate's "Square Trade"

I noticed that Ebay is making false and misleading claims when Sellers sell electronics and clearly mark them as "used." When you click on the Square Trade 1-Year protection plan, the plan states that it covers

"Covers drops, spills & accidents"

However, when you click on the "Learn More" link, they state:

"Accidental damage: Unless an Accidental Damage Protection Plan is purchased, items that are accidentally damaged are not covered - such as liquid damage, or cracked screens."

Now, I am not a lawyer, but this clearly seems to be false misrepresentation of claims via Ebay for including an insurance policy that reads that specific claims only apply to "new" items when the front-page listing for "used items" is showing that the 1 year coverage does cover "Covers drops, spills & accidents."

Also, the "square trade" plans themselves have an abysmal 1.24 rating on sitejabber with many people posting that their claims were denied or they had huge issues making claims.

Personally, I don't have any skin in the game, but when a seller makes a used listing on Ebay and is unable to disable the add-on sale of insurance that is not made in good faith, it can make the seller look bad.

I plan to show this to my lawyer later this week and then forward it off to the Maryland State Attorney General to see if this falls under unfair and fraudulent sales practices.

I find it silly that Ebay would even align themselves with such a horrible service but more importantly, I don't want that shown on things I list for sale via Ebay when buyers could easily blame me for the insurance issues.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Re: Ebay is misrepresenting insurance coverage via Allstate's "Square Trade"

I  have seen square trade around for a long time

I am not surw what the association is with ebay

I used to think that they were on the up and up

for the past 6 monthd square trade has really gotten bad as far as complaints go

I have seen a few stories abouy them that made them sound like Earl Scheib.

Germantown proud Germantown strong
up the whiskey hickon
moving right along
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

This page seems pretty straightforward to me: 

Available Plan Options

Standard Protection Plans

SquareTrade Protection Plans protect your eBay purchases from mechanical and electrical failures during normal use.
1 to 4 years of coverage, as indicated at the time that you purchase your Protection Plan.

Accidental Damage Protection Plans

SquareTrade Accidental Damage Protection Plans covers your eBay purchases against both accidents and normal malfunctions.
Item repairs, or the full item price paid back to you if SquareTrade can't fix it. Examples of coverage include: drops, spills and other accidents during use, including liquid damage from immersion, and protection from mechanical and electrical failures, as well as product breakdowns.

https://www.ebay.com/cdp/help/protection-plan/squaretrade

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Extended warranties are just another tax on the stupid.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

What did your lawyer have to say about it?

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

Message 6 of 6
latest reply