cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has made it very difficult for sellers

I recently sold a bundle of "used or for parts" cameras. all cameras were old and heavily used. I mention in the item description that a potential seller needs "to assume the items are for parts". 24 Days after the items was delivered I get a return request. I do not offer returns but due to ebays "money back guarantee" a buyer can request a return or refund anyways. (seems pointless to say no returns or refunds). The buyers statement was and I quote " the items are defective and don't work"..... Duh...... I stated twice that the items were for parts. 

I went to view the return details and there's no option for me to decline the return. I proceeded to message the buyer in hopes to come to a resolution and she responded to me with you should have said they were for parts......... duh........ I screen shot the two places where it says "for parts". I have yet to get a response.

I am very very disappointed that I could in no way contact an actual human with eBay customer service. they have made it very difficult to resolve issues. All of ebays resources point towards the "help" page, which in my opinion is absolutely useless. I sent customer service an email and was sent a message about how to request a return and not how to deal with one as a seller. This is incredibly frustrating as a seller. Im at the mercy of eBay now as they step in and decide who's side to take. 

Message 1 of 21
latest reply
20 REPLIES 20

Re: Ebay has made it very difficult for sellers

The Buyer is claiming a SNAD, so you cannot decline the return. 

Listing items "for parts" seems to result in these issues.  Often wonder if **bleep** swap their defective part for your working/better part?

No returns does not mean no refunds on e-Bay.  E-Bay's MBG promises Buyer satisfaction when the Buyer claims a SNAD.

Better sales await!  Good luck!

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 2 of 21
latest reply

You don't have to accept the return-- but even if you have a No Returns policy you can demand the return.

You probably will have to pay return shipping.

So now you have to think it over.

Do you trust the buyer who tells you the parts don't work - I would assume you do, since you sold them as "not working".

Do you want the parts back?

Is the resale value of the broken parts worth the return shipping?

The original selling price is not really a factor here. Your costs (procurement, fees, labour) plus shipping are less than the buyer's payment.

Message 3 of 21
latest reply

Your sold listings only show guns and no cameras. We would have to see the listing. With that said there is no such thing as no returns. You cannot pawn off broken junk and expect buyers to accept it without an option for a return.

Message 4 of 21
latest reply

Unfortunately if a buyer deems it not as described or broken, then the system will automatically accept the return regardless of your return policy.

Message 5 of 21
latest reply

Im at the mercy of eBay now as they step in and decide who's side to take.”

Ebay will side with the buyer. This is not a process by which eBay evaluates the situation and makes a ruling based on the evidence. instead, this is a Not As Described claim, and it is an automatic mostly-computerized process. No rep will examine the facts and render a judgement. That doesn't happen until the appeal. 

You need to bone up on the information regarding seller’s responsibilities when a Money Back Guarantee case gets opened. There is no opportunity to work out a resolution once the NAD case is initiated by the buyer. That negotiation should have happened when the buyer first contacted you about a return. 

It is generally in a seller’s best long-term interests to ok a return to avoid pushing a buyer into a bogus NAD claim. Plus, by not approving the NAD return, your account will be given a defect, and you will be charged for the final value fees as a penalty, even tho the buyer will be fully reimbursed.

Message 6 of 21
latest reply

The buyer was able to open a claim and force a return because you listed the item as "Used".

eBay's definition of Used:

slippinjimmy_0-1643535049655.png

It should have been listed as "For parts or not working"

slippinjimmy_1-1643535342815.png

Message 7 of 21
latest reply

@slippinjimmy wrote:

The buyer was able to open a claim and force a return because you listed the item as "Used".

It should have been listed as "For parts or not working"

A buyer can still open a SNAD claim when the condition is listed as "for parts or not working". 

If a seller lists a Rolex Submariner that is "for parts or not working" and ships a Timex instead of a Rolex, that  buyer would have every right to file a SNAD claim and should be able to win it. 

But that aside ... 

I agree, if the OP's camera listing was "used" and and not "for parts or not working", the listing contains a contradiction and the seller would be unlikely to prevail. 

Message 8 of 21
latest reply

Yes, I have for the most part  had to stop selling items  that I have  clearly listed as not working/for parts even if you check the ("for parts" box)  due to large number of return requests. I think people attempt to buy  lots for resale to catch  mistakes  you may have made listing something that really works that they can flip  and then when they can't seem to fix anything or pull apart for resale successfully,  they get fed up and know they can get their money back because for the most part they are resellers who know ebay.....so I got out of that trap. 

Message 9 of 21
latest reply

You can get a callback with a little trick that I have used over and over.  Go to help, contact us, fees and billing, update checking account for payouts and their will be an option for a callback every time.  NEVER let something like this go without talking to someone.  If the first person doesn't help you, do it again until someone helps.  Not all customer service people are willing to go the extra mile to help.  It doesn't always work out, but I am unwilling to let someone take advantage of returns or anything else on eBay.

Message 10 of 21
latest reply

You listed all that camera stuff as Used...not as parts.

Used means it may have some cosmetic damage but that it works as expected.

Message 11 of 21
latest reply

@natoman777 

Does this contact the subcontractors on the phones or eBay employees with some authority?

Message 12 of 21
latest reply

I have sold quite a few items " for parts or not working" and have never had a problem.

I suspect that what happens sometimes is the buyer is hopeful of a easy fix, if this is not possible they return it

Message 13 of 21
latest reply

@chris_sacca 

I found 1 listing for cameras and it's listed as used, meaning they should work.

Have a great day
Message 14 of 21
latest reply

It connects with those in India, but it's better than chat or the eBay community boards which you NEVER get any help.  I have received help about 95% of the time with similar situations to this thread

Message 15 of 21
latest reply