cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay has been hacked!!

Just received an email supposedly from eBay Collections.  The email stated I hadn't paid my current months bill and if I wanted to maintain good standing with eBay, I needed to log in (they provided a link) and pay the bill.  The problem is that the bill has been paid and there is no message from eBay in my email messages.  The bigger issue is that the entity "phishing" for information had my ebay id, my email address AND (drum roll please) the CORRECT AMOUNT OF MY LAST EBAY BILL.  This last piece of information is know solely by me and eBay and I don't talk about it to anyone, so there is no way for anyone to know that amount UNLESS THEY GOT IT FROM EBAY!!!

I have tried to contact eBay about it, but there communications channel is completely down (how convenient).  I just want to put the word out there in case anyone else is having this problem or concern.

Message 1 of 15
latest reply
14 REPLIES 14

Re: Ebay has been hacked!!

3 other threads addressing this.

And the jury is out on what happened.

It might be a glitch.

Ebay has not let us know what is happening yet.

Message 2 of 15
latest reply

Been talked about for hours...........

Ebay for business facebook page is reporting it is NOT a spoof........

Message 3 of 15
latest reply

On the  eBay Canada Boards our favourite pink assures us it's a glitch.

Message 4 of 15
latest reply

Word is that they're sending followup emails concerning this - it's a glitch - so watch your email.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 5 of 15
latest reply

When I get suspicious emails like this - I forward them to spoof@ebay.com.  

Message 6 of 15
latest reply

@kathieskorner wrote:

When I get suspicious emails like this - I forward them to spoof@ebay.com.  

Forwarding a message to spoof@ebay.com is the equivalent of forwarding the message to Santa_Claus@The_North_Pole.

It has been YEARS since I stopped forwarding message to the spoof address ........ because it has been YEARS since they stopped BOTH .... acknowledging receipt of the forwarded message ( like the policy says that they WOULD ) ....... and it has been YEARS since they stopped replying to the sender of the forwarded message to either confirm or deny that the message that you forwarded was actually a pfishing message or a spoof message.

https://www.ebay.com/help/account/protecting-account/recognizing-spoof-phishing-emails?id=4195&st=3&...

"We'll let you know that we received the email."

Message 7 of 15
latest reply

@inthepastcollectibles wrote:

Just received an email supposedly from eBay Collections.  The email stated I hadn't paid my current months bill and if I wanted to maintain good standing with eBay, I needed to log in (they provided a link) and pay the bill.  The problem is that the bill has been paid and there is no message from eBay in my email messages.  The bigger issue is that the entity "phishing" for information had my ebay id, my email address AND (drum roll please) the CORRECT AMOUNT OF MY LAST EBAY BILL.  This last piece of information is know solely by me and eBay and I don't talk about it to anyone, so there is no way for anyone to know that amount UNLESS THEY GOT IT FROM EBAY!!!

I have tried to contact eBay about it, but there communications channel is completely down (how convenient).  I just want to put the word out there in case anyone else is having this problem or concern.

According to one of the ebay employees on another thread about this, the email is legitimate, but was mistakenly sent to sellers who are paid up. So the threatening email is only supposed to be sent to sellers that have a balance due.

It's not a hack, it's not a spoof, it's just ebay being ebay.

Message 8 of 15
latest reply

IF the ebay employee knew what he was talking about - it is strange that the message did not appear in eBay messages. 

Message 9 of 15
latest reply

@uncseniorsportsfan wrote:

IF the ebay employee knew what he was talking about - it is strange that the message did not appear in eBay messages. 

Well, since it was a more senior ebay employee, it probably means that ..............  <insert opinion here>

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 10 of 15
latest reply

Got the apology emails on the two accounts I got the original collections emails just this afternoon.

Message 11 of 15
latest reply

I received the same email from "eBay Collections" early Monday evening also, needless to say I wasn't happy. I proceeded to call at 7:10pm and was told by automated message that there was up to a 2.5 hour wait so I opted for the callback. Shocked does not describe my feelings when I received a callback at 1:19AM and woke up to take it and get this straightened out but was then told to please hold for the next available rep...for the next 30 minutes over and over, in which I was then disconnected at 1:49AM.

I recently received the following in an email and tried calling to let them know how I feel about the way this was handled and receiving the 1:19AM phone call but was on hold for 1.5 hours before giving up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear classic_luxe, 

On August 20, we sent you an email with the subject line ‘Keep your account in good standing - payment needed’, indicating that your payment was due. That email was inadvertently sent to you. We’re sorry for the time you may have spent reviewing and responding. We value your time and we apologize. 

Your account is in good standing and there is no action required by you. 

As always, to review your current payment status: 
1. Go to My eBay, and then select Account. 
2. Select the All account activity link in the Account Summary section. 

Thanks for your understanding. 
eBay
Message 12 of 15
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

Got the apology emails on the two accounts I got the original collections emails just this afternoon.

LOL Classic Ebay! I got the apology emails only so far. upside_down

Message 13 of 15
latest reply

@classic_luxe wrote:

I received the same email from "eBay Collections" early Monday evening also, needless to say I wasn't happy. I proceeded to call at 7:10pm and was told by automated message that there was up to a 2.5 hour wait so I opted for the callback. Shocked does not describe my feelings when I received a callback at 1:19AM and woke up to take it and get this straightened out but was then told to please hold for the next available rep...for the next 30 minutes over and over, in which I was then disconnected at 1:49AM.

I recently received the following in an email and tried calling to let them know how I feel about the way this was handled and receiving the 1:19AM phone call but was on hold for 1.5 hours before giving up.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear classic_luxe, 

On August 20, we sent you an email with the subject line ‘Keep your account in good standing - payment needed’, indicating that your payment was due. That email was inadvertently sent to you. We’re sorry for the time you may have spent reviewing and responding. We value your time and we apologize. 

Your account is in good standing and there is no action required by you. 

As always, to review your current payment status: 
1. Go to My eBay, and then select Account. 
2. Select the All account activity link in the Account Summary section. 

Thanks for your understanding. 
eBay

See the source image

Message 14 of 15
latest reply

Ours was on hold as well, the email we received still made it seem as if t was our fault and they removed the hold "as a courtesy". What garbage...lost all my Monday posts, biggest day of the week. Lost thousands in revenue. 

Message 15 of 15
latest reply