cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay falsely adding refunded transactions to the irs

Please pay attention to your 1099-k forms and detailed forms. EBay does not report to the IRS any deductions that you have given or refunds that you have given out. I have been charged for three to four Xboxes and at least three of them I have refunded the money but eBay does not take that in consideration therefore they are charging me as if the transaction went through to put more money on my gross income. That is just in one month they have actually charged me almost $3,000 and refunded money when I only sold one Xbox. Sellers compare your detailed 1099 forms to your actual sales and see which ones you have refunded buyers when you find there is a discrepancy you will have to contact them for each case individually. I will have to go through over 300 items individually through their 1099 forms compared to the actual sales that was accumulated throughout the year last year and compared which ones I have refunded completely or a partial refund. EBay did not give the IRS the correct information and I don't think they expect sellers the thoroughly look through their report that their falsifying to give to the IRS. Be careful sellers. If anybody else has this issue please let me know. Thank you

Message 1 of 37
latest reply
36 REPLIES 36

Re: Ebay falsely adding refunded transactions to the irs

@space-boots wrote:

So any and all ebay collected sales tax is already taken out of the 1099?

Correct- Sales Tax Collected by Ebay is NOT reflected in the 1099 given to the IRS/Copy to you. 

Message 31 of 37
latest reply

So if I made 1,000 dollars  selling on ebay , when I recieved my 1099 form can I used that to receive a tax refund ?

Message 32 of 37
latest reply

I just received a 1099K for $1300 that I had refunded to the seller. They are doing the same thing to me and I called to complain and they said that I just need to show proof that it was refunded to the IRS but I think there’s some type of scam going on in here and we should have a class act lawsuit against them. I’m gonna stop using eBay altogether. 

Message 33 of 37
latest reply

I hope this is a joke, but if not, no there is no scam.

Message 34 of 37
latest reply

@malbasales wrote:

I just received a 1099K for $1300 that I had refunded to the seller. They are doing the same thing to me and I called to complain and they said that I just need to show proof that it was refunded to the IRS but I think there’s some type of scam going on in here and we should have a class act lawsuit against them. I’m gonna stop using eBay altogether. 

Right, if the buyer paid that is income.

If you refunded, that would be a deduction.

Have a great day.
Message 35 of 37
latest reply

@malbasales wrote:

You must be aware that ebay is only following existing tax law by issuing a 1099-K for your sale. It is up to you to report the status of said "income". In other words, 1300 (income) "in" and 1300 (expense) "out"...Net = "0"

Message 36 of 37
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 37 of 37
latest reply