cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ebay Has Forced Guaranteed Delivery!!! Did NOT Opt In!

auctionpet
Guide

Surprise! Surprise! Despite the fact that my site preferences say NO for Guaranteed delivery, nor did I click to OPT IN, ebay has changed ALL my listings to Guaranteed Delivery!

The estimated delivery dates being completely unrealistic and actually impossible. My listings all have 2 day handling. They're all showing delivery by Monday May 6 for someone in my area. That's impossible, considering the 2 day handling wouldn't have me shipping an item until Monday if it was ordered today (Thursday), as the 2 days doesn't include weekends. CS couldn't seem to comprehend this.

I DO NOT want Guaranteed delivery. I have no interest in being forced into it or being forced to take a return simply because ebay gives a buyer an unrealistic magic carpet delivery time and the carrier can't meet it. Resulting in a potential large monetary loss due to loss of paypal fees, and shipping both ways!!

I phoned CS and they state that ebay has the policy requiring automatic Guaranteed delivery if you use an expedited shipping method, despite any handling time! The only way out would be to chose a non expedited shipping method. It's hard enough to get sales, buyers aren't going to select listings with economy shipping. I asked the rep to tell me where I could see this new policy and he couldn't point it out to me of course! This is not good. After I hung up, I saw my other account was also suddenly showing all Guaranteed Delivery!

First it's forced GTC and now it's forced Guaranteed Delivery. Did I miss something? Can someone show me the policy that just took effect forcing sellers into this nightmare of guaranteed delivery if they use expedited shipping!! It seems seller's hands are tied no matter what they try to do here and they have zero control over their listings or business!!

Am I the only one suddenly seeing this change?!

Message 1 of 91
latest reply
90 REPLIES 90

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:
Oh, nice, so we're only out the hefty initial shipping and paypal fees and have to wonder if we're even getting the right item back. It shouldn't cost the seller a dime, when a program like this is Forced on them! That means I'd likely be out at least $10! It's so nice that the Post Office and Paypal get to keep their money due to ebay's foolish program and the seller gets to lose.

Just wait til Christmas!

Hi @auctionpet, I just wanted to add some additional clarification that a seller would be expected to accept a return for an item that arrived late regardless of if there is a guarantee displayed on the listing or not. The only difference is, if eBay is guaranteeing the delivery date, we would offer additional protections to a seller. More details are in my most recent response, but I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page that this guarantee does not put additional responsibility on the seller, it only provides additional protections.

@Anonymous 

It would be different if ebay was quoting shipping estimates which actually included the seller selected handling time, but it sounds like they're not, this is what triggered my issue in the first place. Seeing an estimated delivery of Monday for an item a buyer purchases today (Thursday), when I have 2 day handling, meaning I wouldn't be required to ship it til Monday, and it would state this on my orders page. So exactly how is the buyer supposed to receive it Monday, when it hasn't even shipped til Monday?

Why is ebay not including the seller selected handling time in their quoted delivery date and instead basing it on past shipping times. If I say 2 days handling, I should have the option of using that full handling time and ebay shouldn't give the buyer a shorter delivery date simply because I've shipped within 1 day in the past.

I sell with No Returns, thus an item should be 'not as described' to initiate a return. So ebay is making an item not as described if it arrives later than the shipping estimate, which they're miscalculating in the first place!? A seller who does no returns, shouldn't be on the hook for a return because an item arrives late due to ebay's forcing them into this unwanted plan.  If this is true, I'm not the one 'describing the guaranteed shipping date', ebay is, why should the seller take a loss because of this?

Not to mention, ebay also states they may decide not to foot to the bill for this plan at any time. If the plan was so great, why would ebay have to force it on sellers! Let those who want it select it. Everything is not one size fits all.

Hi @auctionpet, the estimated delivery date being immediately after or even during your stated handling time is unrelated to eBay's guarantee of delivery and is instead a potential technical issue we can get reported. If there is a technical issue that causes a problem for a seller, we will take steps to protect them.

While I have noted your feedback on this feature, we have seen great success with it and it has no negative impact on a seller. I strongly encourage you to review the resources on our site regarding this guarantee to confirm that it only provides additional protections to you in the event that an item is delivered late. A late delivery would be considered 'not as described', but as I mentioned previously, a technical issue that is affecting the delivery date negatively would be something we would protect a seller on. Again, the guarantee of a delivery date has no impact on the estimated delivery date - the estimate delivery date is what causes a guarantee of delivery to appear in your listings in the first place. If the item is not estimated to arrive within 4 days based on your location, the buyer's location, the shipping service selected, and historical data, the guarantee will not be displayed to a buyer.

Trinton I keep seeing this being said to be an error for the item to show guaranteed delivery before the handling time is up. However we have been told many times on here that if we ship sooner than our handling time eBay takes that into consideration when calculating the estimate.    This was a common complaint with the fast n free display before guaranteed delivery came along.  This doesn’t seem to be an error but the way it has always worked and the way we’ve always complained about it working that way.  Now we also have guaranteed delivery added to the algorithm used instead of just estimated delivery as previously with fast n free.   I think with adding the guaranteed delivery it’s time to rethink using the algorithm for how fast a seller usually shipped and instead use the handling time.  Because while estimate showed a time frame that started with the soonest (ignoring the handling time basically) it also went to the latest estimate which was more likely to be accurate if the handling time had to be used.  Now guaranteed just had one date and it appears to be that soonest date that ignores that handling time for sellers who usually ship faster 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 76 of 91
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@go-bad-chicken wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@ohnojoey wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

@ohnojoey wrote:

"You can opt out at any time by navigating to Account Settings > Site Preferences > eBay Guaranteed Delivery Setting. Click "Show," then "Edit". Lastly, select "I want to opt out of eBay Guaranteed Delivery," and click "Continue." You may opt back in at any time."

This is in the "eBay Guaranteed Delivery" policy.

So is this true that you can opt out of GD or is it not true and this policy is old or not updated?

opt.JPG

As you can see from my opening post, I'm not opted in. I never received any notice of the policy changing.  A huge area showed above my ebay selling page, saying my listings 'qualify' for GD, indicating a box for me to select to opt in. I never opted in. I can't opt out, since I'm already opted out, but it's meaningless! Ebay does whatever they feel like, despite their own policies.

I get it, that's crazy and disingenuous! So their policy is meaningless if ebay is opting sellers in without the seller being able to opt out, while telling sellers that they can opt out when they never opted in in the first place!

Hi @ohnojoey & @auctionpet, we announced this change on October 30, 2018. You can review the details here. We recommend you subscribe to our Announcement board so you don't miss important updates that may impact you. Those listings that were eligible for the Fast 'N Free logo will now display "guaranteed by" dates and be eligible for the protections available to those who participate in Guaranteed Delivery. This is not a process that a seller can opt out of, and only provides additional protections to a seller. If a listing showed this guarantee to the buyer, the seller shipped in their stated handling time, but the item arrived late, eBay would be able to protect a seller and resolve this concern for the buyer in ways that we would not if there was no guarantee. Without the guarantee being shown, a seller would be responsible for the cost of return shipping if the item was late and the buyer wanted to return it, for example. With the guarantee being displayed, eBay can offer the buyer compensation for the shipping cost they may have paid originally if they wish to keep the item, or we will cover the cost of the return shipping label if they would like to return it. We also offer some protection related to feedback and defects which you can review here.

"This is not a process that a seller can opt out of, ......."

Well kinda sort of.

Sellers do still have some options available to them; at least for now that will effectively allow them to "Opt Out" their listings from eBay's FAST 'N FREE program.

1 - Charge $0.02 ....etc. for shipping in lieu of free shipping.
2 - Extend their handling time to 4,5,6 day......etc.

Hi @go-bad-chickenI want to clarify that sellers can no longer opt out of the Fast 'N Free program. If you have seen an indication on the site that this is currently an option, please share the link with me so I can get this outdated information corrected.

While I realize that there is no literal "Opt Out" setting for eBay's FAST 'N FREE program.  But, seller's do have the ability to make some changes to their listings that will effectively "Opt Out" their listings from eBay's FAST 'N FREE program.

i.e.

1 - Charge $0.02 ....etc. for shipping in lieu of free shipping.
2 - Extend their handling time to 4,5,6 day......etc.

I am a book seller and usually offer 2 types of USPS shipping services for domestic sales.

1 - Free (NOW $0.02) USPS Media Mail Shipping Service - For an average 3 lbs. book 

2 - $8.00 USPS Priority Mail Shipping Service - For an average 3 lbs. book 

I experimented with this last week and changed my shipping from Free USPS Media Mail to $0.02 USPS Media Mail on a couple of my listings. This removed those listings from eBay's FAST 'N FREE program and it's associated guarantees imposed on sellers by eBay.

It worked well for me.

Before - Free USPS Media Mail Shipping

- FAST N' FREE displayed to my customers

1 Signed A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin BCE Book Club Edition Hardcover   eBay.png

After - $0.02 USPS Media Mail Shipping

- FAST N' FREE IS NO LONGER DISPLAYED to my customers.

2 Signed A Game Of Thrones by George R. R. Martin BCE Book Club Edition Hardcover 9780553103540   eBay.png

I understand what eBay is trying to do. I do think that it is important to provide customers with accurate and timely delivery dates. But I do not agree with how eBay is currently going about trying to achieve those goals.

I want my customers to have a good buying experience when they make a purchase from me here on eBay. And associating the word FAST with my first shipping service USPS Media Mail on any of my listings is bound to create disappointment at some point in time for some of my customers even when I ship within 1 business day.

But as you can see sellers do still have some options to figuratively "Opt Out" their listings from eBay's FAST 'N FREE program, at least at this time.

Message 77 of 91
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:
Oh, nice, so we're only out the hefty initial shipping and paypal fees and have to wonder if we're even getting the right item back. It shouldn't cost the seller a dime, when a program like this is Forced on them! That means I'd likely be out at least $10! It's so nice that the Post Office and Paypal get to keep their money due to ebay's foolish program and the seller gets to lose.

Just wait til Christmas!

Hi @auctionpet, I just wanted to add some additional clarification that a seller would be expected to accept a return for an item that arrived late regardless of if there is a guarantee displayed on the listing or not. The only difference is, if eBay is guaranteeing the delivery date, we would offer additional protections to a seller. More details are in my most recent response, but I wanted to make sure everyone was on the same page that this guarantee does not put additional responsibility on the seller, it only provides additional protections.

@Anonymous 

It would be different if ebay was quoting shipping estimates which actually included the seller selected handling time, but it sounds like they're not, this is what triggered my issue in the first place. Seeing an estimated delivery of Monday for an item a buyer purchases today (Thursday), when I have 2 day handling, meaning I wouldn't be required to ship it til Monday, and it would state this on my orders page. So exactly how is the buyer supposed to receive it Monday, when it hasn't even shipped til Monday?

Why is ebay not including the seller selected handling time in their quoted delivery date and instead basing it on past shipping times. If I say 2 days handling, I should have the option of using that full handling time and ebay shouldn't give the buyer a shorter delivery date simply because I've shipped within 1 day in the past.

I sell with No Returns, thus an item should be 'not as described' to initiate a return. So ebay is making an item not as described if it arrives later than the shipping estimate, which they're miscalculating in the first place!? A seller who does no returns, shouldn't be on the hook for a return because an item arrives late due to ebay's forcing them into this unwanted plan.  If this is true, I'm not the one 'describing the guaranteed shipping date', ebay is, why should the seller take a loss because of this?

Not to mention, ebay also states they may decide not to foot to the bill for this plan at any time. If the plan was so great, why would ebay have to force it on sellers! Let those who want it select it. Everything is not one size fits all.

Hi @auctionpet, the estimated delivery date being immediately after or even during your stated handling time is unrelated to eBay's guarantee of delivery and is instead a potential technical issue we can get reported. If there is a technical issue that causes a problem for a seller, we will take steps to protect them.

While I have noted your feedback on this feature, we have seen great success with it and it has no negative impact on a seller. I strongly encourage you to review the resources on our site regarding this guarantee to confirm that it only provides additional protections to you in the event that an item is delivered late. A late delivery would be considered 'not as described', but as I mentioned previously, a technical issue that is affecting the delivery date negatively would be something we would protect a seller on. Again, the guarantee of a delivery date has no impact on the estimated delivery date - the estimate delivery date is what causes a guarantee of delivery to appear in your listings in the first place. If the item is not estimated to arrive within 4 days based on your location, the buyer's location, the shipping service selected, and historical data, the guarantee will not be displayed to a buyer.

Can you provide the link to the announcement that eBay has partners with major carriers to guarantee delivery in a certain time frame? You know, like Amazon has done.

Message 78 of 91
latest reply

Thanks, go-bad-chicken, for visually showing how this works. I might have to go the same route and add a penny to shipping. My most popular items are generally sent via Media Mail, and suddenly I'm being inundated with buyers wanting to know why an item I mailed Monday (and, mind you, I actually have through Tuesday to send it) isn't there by Friday as absurdly promised by eBay. Well, of course it isn't; it's Media Mail! Maybe offering this Fast 'n Free guarantee for First Class and Priority could work, but offering it for Media Mail items is ridiculous, time-disruptive for sellers (since I'm having to send multiple e-mails explaining this process to uncomprehending buyers), and potentially harmful to sellers. I say potentially because while eBay promises to remove negative feedback, I'm noticing that under Seller Dashboard / Your Late Shipment Report / Report History, I have a "Buyer says late delivery" ding (I spoke to the buyer and he said he had to mark Late Delivery to receive his $5 voucher), even though my item has until next Thursday to reach him according to the USPS Media Mail schedule (eBay, on the other hand, told him it would be there this past Friday). Question for or any other eBay rep: Will this seller ding be removed automatically from my page, or do I have to call to have it removed, or will it unfairly remain even though I have done absolutely nothing wrong?

Message 79 of 91
latest reply

Will this seller ding be removed automatically from my page, or do I have to call to have it removed, or will it unfairly remain even though I have done absolutely nothing wrong?

I'll take #3 for $1,000, Alex.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 80 of 91
latest reply

When it comes to estimating delivery dates....ebay is king.

I have something right now that is shipping within the US estimated to be delivered at the very latest on May 3...well, to make a long story short...it's still in transit. It's embarrassing to say the least.

And what seems confusing to us sellers, think about how confusing all this must be for the average consumer.

Ebay is turning simple transactions into a calculus test.

Message 81 of 91
latest reply

auctionpet
Guide
Here's something interesting. I recently changed all my listings to 3 day handling to see if it would impact sales. I had 7 terrific sales in 5 days. I then upped the ante to 4 day handling as I went out of town. It didn't seem to make any difference in sales, I had 7 sales. Go figure. Before I changed my handling I went 5 days with NO sales, this was when my listings showed Fast & Free with the GD! So obviously GD does NOT increase sales for all sellers. Ebay claims their research shows it does, well my first hand research shows it doesn't. I'll believe mine.
Message 82 of 91
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:
Here's something interesting. I recently changed all my listings to 3 day handling to see if it would impact sales. I had 7 terrific sales in 5 days. I then upped the ante to 4 day handling as I went out of town. It didn't seem to make any difference in sales, I had 7 sales. Go figure. Before I changed my handling I went 5 days with NO sales, this was when my listings showed Fast & Free with the GD! So obviously GD does NOT increase sales for all sellers. Ebay claims their research shows it does, well my first hand research shows it doesn't. I'll believe mine.

Do keep in mind that the Fast n Free and the GD is driven by the zip code of the account that is viewing the listing.  So when you are logged in under your selling ID, what you see is supposingly true for delivery to your zip code.  When I look at them, because I'm in a different zip code, it may or may not show.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 83 of 91
latest reply

@auctionpet wrote:

I'm gone a lot in the summer and usually just ended my listings because honestly I never got much business with then in the summer anyhow.  Last year I'm decided to leave them up and just extended my handling time to 10 days.  I had an increase in sales go figure.  And no one complained about how long shipping took

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 84 of 91
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@mam98031 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

Just wait til Christmas!

@Anonymous 

@Anonymous 

I understand what you are saying and why you are saying it.  As others have stated, I don't like having this forced upon me either.  I would much prefer that this was an options that sellers could opt into or not.

Since Ebay started this I have an uptick in emails from my buyers wondering where they package is and why it is late.  It isn't late, if Ebay were to be considering my handling time.  Ebay feels they need to correct what I say my handling time is which I don't think Ebay should be involved in.  I would much prefer to under promise and over deliver.  This practice has served me very well over the years and I have 1000's of happy customers to prove that.

FWIW I also disagree with your statement there is no negative impact to sellers.  If a buyer opens a SNAD because the item was delivered late, then the seller now has to deal with that SNAD.  The buyer is unhappy and the seller has additional expenses they otherwise may not have had.  Then there is the Service Metrics and how SNADs are recorded for that function.  Unless you are saying that SNADs opened because the Guaranteed delivery date was not met are not used in the Service Metrics???

Hi @mam98031, you have raised the point I really want to drive home for everyone; a buyer has always been able to open a return request for an item that is delivered late. The guarantee that we make regarding the delivery date only serves to provide the seller with additional protections if the buyer wants to return an order that was delivered late. This guarantee does not change the expectation, nor does it have any impact at all on the estimated delivery date. The guarantee only appears when the delivery date has already been determined to be within 4 days. Any issues with the delivery date, or the handling time not being counted properly would be a separate issue. When I say that the guarantee for eligible items has no negative impact on a seller, it is because the guarantee is not related to any of the complaints that have been raised here or any problems that might arise. Again, the stated guarantee in the listing only ensures the seller has additional protections in a situation where they already would have faced some kind of responsibility. 

Again, I do want to stress this, a buyer has always been able to open a not as described return for a item delivered late, and can do so even when there is no guaranteed delivery date highlighted in the listing. If there is no guarantee highlighted by either the seller or by eBay, the seller would be responsible for return shipping costs. If there is a guarantee, the buyer may receive a refund from eBay of the shipping cost they paid, a voucher if there was no shipping cost or, if they would like to return the item, eBay would cover the cost of return shipping. All the seller had to do to be eligible for these protections is ship within their stated handling time.

We've gotten reports of the estimated delivery date showing either immediately after the seller's handling time or during the seller's stated handling time and have passed this onto our tech teams. Reports of this specific issue have only begun recently, and are not a result of the guarantee that we provide in the listing. While I understand that a seller may receive questions or concerns about delivery when the date was highlighted in the listing, the seller simply has to direct their buyer to eBay Customer Service for further assistance.

I have already experienced a "fraudulent" buyer trying this strategy out. I suspect this will happen a lot.

I have a 3 day handling time. I sold a record last week and despite being in a wheelchair, I managed to get it in the mail the day after it was bought (instead of 3 working days later).

Although they tried to collect on this GD, whereas they falsely (and was allowed to do so) - filed a complaint the day eBay said it was supposed to be there (again several days before it was due to be mailed).  Luckily, confirmation proved delivery on time - eB's time.

So, even though it was there, they lied and denied it just to get the voucher. Good going eBay for enabling this kind of buyer to create trouble for me and you if they had not been caught! 

I just don't understand... I do NOT want F&F!!! Or local pick up either... it can be dangerous for me as I can't defend myself against some possibly malicious person. Thanks for putting my life at risk. I love you too. 

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 85 of 91
latest reply

@rammingspeed48 wrote:

Thanks, go-bad-chicken, for visually showing how this works. I might have to go the same route and add a penny to shipping. My most popular items are generally sent via Media Mail, and suddenly I'm being inundated with buyers wanting to know why an item I mailed Monday (and, mind you, I actually have through Tuesday to send it) isn't there by Friday as absurdly promised by eBay. Well, of course it isn't; it's Media Mail! Maybe offering this Fast 'n Free guarantee for First Class and Priority could work, but offering it for Media Mail items is ridiculous, time-disruptive for sellers (since I'm having to send multiple e-mails explaining this process to uncomprehending buyers), and potentially harmful to sellers. I say potentially because while eBay promises to remove negative feedback, I'm noticing that under Seller Dashboard / Your Late Shipment Report / Report History, I have a "Buyer says late delivery" ding (I spoke to the buyer and he said he had to mark Late Delivery to receive his $5 voucher), even though my item has until next Thursday to reach him according to the USPS Media Mail schedule (eBay, on the other hand, told him it would be there this past Friday). Question for or any other eBay rep: Will this seller ding be removed automatically from my page, or do I have to call to have it removed, or will it unfairly remain even though I have done absolutely nothing wrong?

I thank you as well - all my free shipping for Media will now have a delivery charge added by this time tomorrow. 🙂 Great idea.

I am a founding member of the eBay Community Expert Group: a USA volunteer mentor with over a decade of experience. I am not an eBay employee.

Live simply. Care deeply. Love generously. Speak kindly. Laugh loudly. Act responsibly. Rejoice daily. Help cheerfully. Plan carefully. Criticize sparingly. Invest wisely. Forgive willingly. Shop seriously. Play fairly. Learn graciously.
Message 86 of 91
latest reply

@magicjohnsonsvariety wrote:

When it comes to estimating delivery dates....ebay is king.

I have something right now that is shipping within the US estimated to be delivered at the very latest on May 3...well, to make a long story short...it's still in transit. It's embarrassing to say the least.

And what seems confusing to us sellers, think about how confusing all this must be for the average consumer.

Ebay is turning simple transactions into a calculus test.

Glad I passed calculus. 

Message 87 of 91
latest reply

@myangelandmyprincess wrote:

@auctionpet wrote:

I'm gone a lot in the summer and usually just ended my listings because honestly I never got much business with then in the summer anyhow.  Last year I'm decided to leave them up and just extended my handling time to 10 days.  I had an increase in sales go figure.  And no one complained about how long shipping took

And here I thought I was the only one who still did the seasonal adjustment thing. I keep up a few items in the summer just for appearances, but for the most part, winter is my main selling season.

I'm probably the most patient person in the world, but still, seeing a 10 day handling time on a listing might make me think about it a bit. 

There's a huge divide between Millennials who want everything now and older folks like me who remember when mail ordering things used to take 2-3 months....point is...any complaints on your 10 day handling will likely depend on what you're selling.  

Message 88 of 91
latest reply

I just spent about half an hour trying to get ebay to explain to me why my listings keep showing as guaranteed delivery. I was told that these are the reasons your listings will show as guaranteed delivery:

1. if you offer 1 day handling on any item

2. if you offer multiple shipping options on any item. 

So, I fixed all my listings to reflect that and I still had 22 items-my free shipping items- that wouldn't change. They kept telling me that they could see no problem on their end and insisted I refresh the page, log in and out of my account, try another device. I kept seeing guaranteed no matter what I did. We left it that the 'problem' must be with my account so they would send it to their tech department. Ugh, huh.

I got off the phone and changed my free shipping to 1 cent shipping. Presto! Guaranteed was gone!

So now a third thing is being forced-free shipping. My fix is to now offer one cent shipping. This seemed to do the trick.

Message 89 of 91
latest reply

I got many compliants about this guaranteed delivery time from buyers, it's really bad and unacceptable.
Message 90 of 91
latest reply