cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBay adding random "Authenticity Guaranteed" to pre-owned sneakers under $150?

I'm not sure what is going on with authentication. I just sold a pair of pre-owned Nike Lebron's, BIN price was $60, I accepted an offer for $50. They have been listed for about 3 weeks, they never had the "Authenticity Guaranteed"  tag on the auction. However, after they sold and I printed the label I saw that it was shipping to Authentication. I went and looked at the listing, and all of a sudden the listing is showing "Authenticity Guaranteed". 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/134196966526?transid=1926879018003&mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e12025.m43.l1123&m...

Any other sellers seeing this? Maybe eBay is randomly selecting shoes for authentication in advance of expanding the program? They should let the seller know though, I had to explain to the buyer that the extra week that he would have to wait for his shoes were due to eBay making me send to authenticator, not any fault on my part. Also, I could only relay that info to him because he had sent me a question before he sent his offer, otherwise eBay shuts down comms between buyer and seller for authenticated shoes sales?

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Having to authenticate a lousy $50 item is ridiculous. What next, will they require us to send in a 99 cent Bic ballpoint pen for authentication too? So glad I don't sell shoes, what a headache.

@gamersbaystore  yep, it's ridiculous, why should a $6 pair of *very* used shoes go to authentication?

2022-08-26_07-35-26.png

And sadly you aren't too far off with the $0.99 Bic thing either. It goes by item specifics so, list in the wrong category/use item specifics for a shoe and magically, anything can go to authentication!

2022-08-26_07-39-04.png

How about a single shoe lace?

2022-08-26_07-42-42.png

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@shopposh45 wrote:

Information we received today from someone at ebay was that they are testing a program where certain brands, even less than $100 price point go through the Authentication program. I asked if there was a current list of brands available to sellers for this test program, and was told no specific list, just the more popular brands are probably included.

So yes, @valueaddedresource  I think you are exactly right. We may not know which shoes qualify when we list them. My friend did not find out until his were sold. 

@shopposh45  Exactly, there's no way to know for sure now that I can see. You can narrow it down a bit by brand because it has to at least be one of the brands in the list:

Yeezy, Jordan, Nike, adidas, New Balance, Asics, Vans, Reebok, Converse, Puma, Balenciaga, Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Maison Margiela, Louis Vuitton, Crocs, Off-White, Fear of God, Dior, Y-3, YEEZY SEASON, A bathing ape, Versace, Visvim, Golden Goose, Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang, RHUDE, Saint Laurent, Christian Louboutin, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Burberry, Valentino, Buscemi, Giuseppe Zanotti, Givenchy, MCM and Salomon.

But since it's only certain models and they don't list the exact models there's no way to know within those brands which shoes will be covered or not until you list them. That's just insane to me honestly.

For those who like the authentication program and want to use it, why would they list shoes on eBay instead of StockX or somewhere else if they aren't 100% sure *before* listing that the shoes will qualify?

For those who don't like and don't want to use it - why would you list any shoes at all and risk having to deal with your $6 used shoes going through authentication?

I can't see how they think this is a good move from any angle, except that it gives them maximum control to tweak what is or is not covered at any given time.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

@shopposh45 wrote:

Information we received today from someone at ebay was that they are testing a program where certain brands, even less than $100 price point go through the Authentication program. I asked if there was a current list of brands available to sellers for this test program, and was told no specific list, just the more popular brands are probably included.

So yes, @valueaddedresource  I think you are exactly right. We may not know which shoes qualify when we list them. My friend did not find out until his were sold. 

@shopposh45  Exactly, there's no way to know for sure now that I can see. You can narrow it down a bit by brand because it has to at least be one of the brands in the list:

Yeezy, Jordan, Nike, adidas, New Balance, Asics, Vans, Reebok, Converse, Puma, Balenciaga, Gucci, Chanel, Prada, Maison Margiela, Louis Vuitton, Crocs, Off-White, Fear of God, Dior, Y-3, YEEZY SEASON, A bathing ape, Versace, Visvim, Golden Goose, Rick Owens, Alexander McQueen, Alexander Wang, RHUDE, Saint Laurent, Christian Louboutin, Dolce & Gabbana, Fendi, Burberry, Valentino, Buscemi, Giuseppe Zanotti, Givenchy, MCM and Salomon.

But since it's only certain models and they don't list the exact models there's no way to know within those brands which shoes will be covered or not until you list them. That's just insane to me honestly.

For those who like the authentication program and want to use it, why would they list shoes on eBay instead of StockX or somewhere else if they aren't 100% sure *before* listing that the shoes will qualify?

For those who don't like and don't want to use it - why would you list any shoes at all and risk having to deal with your $6 used shoes going through authentication?

I can't see how they think this is a good move from any angle, except that it gives them maximum control to tweak what is or is not covered at any given time.

Right ebay could toggle switch your same active  listing back and forth everyday.

For some......It seems wisdom has been chasing you, but you have always been faster.
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

How about a single shoe lace?

@valueaddedresource 

Too funny!   Maybe they are going to start implementing fees for this service soon and including all they can?  Better to get an extra fee for those $6 shoes?   LOL

Message 19 of 19
latest reply