cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY NOW REQUIRING PHOTO ID BY 8/18/2023

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think eBay has enough of my private information.  I've been selling on eBay for 24 years! They have my bank account, paypal, credit cards, address, email, phone number and date of birth. Why on earth do they need a photo ID?

I draw the line here. If 24 years counts for nothing then I quit!

I will close my eBay store.  This is the straw that breaks me!  I'm done. EBay now charges the highest fees and commissions of all the other venues.  They have been DICTATING how I am allowed to run my own business for over 24 years.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: EBAY NOW REQUIRING PHOTO ID BY 8/18/2023

Where are you getting this from?

I don't see anything in the seller announcements and I've never been notified by eBay. 

Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Because of the INFORM act.

"The INFORM Act represents a legislative effort to protect consumers from unknowingly purchasing stolen, counterfeit, or unsafe consumer products from online sellers. With a June 27, 2023 compliance deadline, operators of online marketplaces should start taking steps to comply with its mandates."

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 34
latest reply

They sent me an email plus a red banner now appears over my eBay sales page.

Message 4 of 34
latest reply

Not an 'eBay' thing; is the requirement of the IRS, Homeland Security...whoever/whatever. Ebay could NOT CARE LESS about collecting this info. 

I had to give a photo id 2 years ago. 

'Drawing the line' just sounds like silliness to me....a bit of "cut off your own nose to spite your face'. 

Message 5 of 34
latest reply

"The INFORM Act mandates are intended to establish a baseline level of transparency to make it easier for consumers to identify exactly who they are buying from while making it harder for deceitful sellers to avoid identification. The INFORM Act has a June 27, 2023 compliance deadline for online marketplace operators and sellers to comply."

Specifically, in less than 180 days, all online marketplaces must do the following:

• Collect bank account information, tax ID numbers, and verifiable contact information, including a working email and phone number, from all “high-volume third-party” sellers. For those sellers who are not yet within this category, they must provide this information within 10 days of qualifying as a high-volume third-party seller.
  • Verify all of such information received from high-volume third-party sellers within 10 days of receipt.
  • Require those sellers with $20,000 or more in annual gross revenues to disclose, in a clear and conspicuous manner to buyers, identification information including the seller’s full name, physical address, and working contact information.

In addition, marketplaces must take the following steps:

• Implement and maintain reasonable data security measures and practices to protect the seller information collected.
  • Create a reporting tool to embed on high-volume third-party seller listing pages that will allow consumers to report suspicious marketplace activity electronically or by telephone.
  • Suspend seller accounts when the necessary information, certifications, or disclosures are not provided within 10 days of a request.

The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) is charged with enforcing the INFORM Act’s requirements, and violations by an online marketplace will be treated as an unfair or deceptive act or practice under 15 U.S.C. § 18. The INFORM Act also authorizes state attorneys general to bring civil actions for any violation affecting residents of their state.

Some marketplaces already comply with the INFORM Act or are in the process of implementing compliance procedures to meet the impending effective date.

INFORM Act Imposes New Due Diligence Rules to Protect Consumers

KrazzyKats

Message 6 of 34
latest reply

Etsy does not require it.  Nor is it a requirement. It's a suggestion.  

Message 7 of 34
latest reply

I'd really pay attention to the part about being suspended 10 days after an eBay request for the information, disclosures, or certifications near the bottom.

KrazzyKats

Message 8 of 34
latest reply

@ivory-n-jewels ,

I sent mine in a few months ago when they asked for it. I have a scanned copy of my DL saved in my computer so I can easily upload because so many places needs it these days.

Took me less than a minute. Easy peasey.

Message 9 of 34
latest reply

They have around 60 days to comply, so maybe they haven't issued the edict yet.

With all the information eBay already has about you, why is the photo id a problem? 

Everyone that sells on a marketplace will need to be identified.  No more anonymous selling.  

KrazzyKats

Message 10 of 34
latest reply

So far I have not gotten anything about this from eBay, I don't know why they would need my Photo ID when they have my SSN for taxes 

Message 11 of 34
latest reply

@ivory-n-jewels , 

They will because it is required by the Inform Act recently passed by congress.

Message 12 of 34
latest reply

@thesolaredge ,

Why does your bank required a picture ID when you close on your mortgage? They have your social security number, where your work, and etc. 

The Inform Act was passed not because of taxes but to reduce selling online of stolen and counterfeit goods.

Message 13 of 34
latest reply

@ivory-n-jewels 

You are exempt if sell less than $5,000.00 annually and at lease 20 transactions on any one marketplace.

Message 14 of 34
latest reply

eBay has to abide by the law. If any of us want to keep selling, we will have to comply or move on. They will catch up with you on other platforms as well. 

I have had to verify my banking with a statement twice this year on AMZ. Just last week for the 2nd time. The next day I got chargeback case notification. I bet they wanted to make sure they can get money if they need it.  

The worst thing is ending up in verification purgatory.  

Posting ID
Message 15 of 34
latest reply