cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EBAY NOW REQUIRING PHOTO ID BY 8/18/2023

I don't know about the rest of you, but I think eBay has enough of my private information.  I've been selling on eBay for 24 years! They have my bank account, paypal, credit cards, address, email, phone number and date of birth. Why on earth do they need a photo ID?

I draw the line here. If 24 years counts for nothing then I quit!

I will close my eBay store.  This is the straw that breaks me!  I'm done. EBay now charges the highest fees and commissions of all the other venues.  They have been DICTATING how I am allowed to run my own business for over 24 years.

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

@mike_jayroe wrote:

I am curious. How will anyone know if the photo submitted will actually be of the person claiming it is them? Especially with A.I. becoming so popular and all the computer hacking software available. 

They won't.... the first time (they will be required to ask for this every year/other year). You ALWAYS have to 'remember' a lie, so you'll have to 'remember' which company you submitted which id/face when it comes around again. 

Message 31 of 34
latest reply

I don't see why a photo is needed. The FBI, IRS, and the local & state police can find any of us anytime they want 95%+ of the time. 

Photo I.D.'s can be easily manipulated. 

How would eBay handle International sellers?

I had not issue with it my drivers license picture is horrible and looks nothing like me. Very easy to get a fake license there are a dozen sites where you can order them online of course the electronic portion of it may not work but the license appearance is pretty realistic. 

Message 32 of 34
latest reply

US laws usually DO apply to US citizens, yes.

Like Rendition?

Message 33 of 34
latest reply

This doesn't bother me. What bothers me is the epidemic of shoplifting and "smash and grab" operations that sell their goods through the online marketplaces, especially ebay. Stores like Walmart and Target are closing down in some locations because of theft loss and I welcome any regulations that address this. I encourage the increase of identification requirements that make it more challenging for sellers of stolen goods.

Message 34 of 34
latest reply