cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Buyers/Potential Buyers Put Items in Cart Before Actually Buying? Why Would They Do This???

Hi There,

I'm hoping someone may have some feedback on the following situation.

I've received an offer from Ebay advising people have some of my items in their carts.

This has totally confused me because in my mind, I personally don't put anything in a shipping cart

unless I'm about to buy.

Do potential buyers actually place items in their shopping cart while they are contemplating their purchase? In my mind, this type of shopper would 'watch' an item but not put it in their cart.

Any feedback greatly appreciated if this is a common practice for bidders/buyers:

Putting items in the shopping cart while they 'consider' their purchase.

Thanks for any feedback and hope you have a great weekend coming up!

🙂

Message 1 of 51
latest reply
50 REPLIES 50

Re: Do Buyers/Potential Buyers Put Items in Cart Before Actually Buying? Why Would They Do This???

@chrysylys

Well then we expect a full report back if things suddenly go on sale.  Smiley Tongue (well that is if any seller actually follows the suggestion)

Message 16 of 51
latest reply

Re: Do Buyers/Potential Buyers Put Items in Cart Before Actually Buying? Why Would They Do This???

I put things in the cart while I’m looking for combined purchases to reduce shipping per item. If I don’t find any I sometimes forget there are things in my cart or I leave them there in case the seller lists new things

Message 17 of 51
latest reply

@kingoftheceltswrote:

Hi There,

I've received an offer from Ebay advising people have some of my items in their carts.

This has totally confused me because in my mind, I personally don't put anything in a shipping cart

unless I'm about to buy.

Do potential buyers actually place items in their shopping cart while they are contemplating their purchase? In my mind, this type of shopper would 'watch' an item but not put it in their cart.

Any feedback greatly appreciated if this is a common practice for bidders/buyers:

🙂

I was sent the same email. I understand about emailing the customer about the items in the cart, but Ebay also wants me to make a lower offer to the buyer as part of them sending the email. I run promotions so my customers can always get great deals and I offer free shipping on all of my items. I am not interested in lowering my price, giving up most of my  profit just to make a sale. For me , it does not make business sense. i wish Ebay would reveiw the sellers business account prior to sending out new ideas.

Message 18 of 51
latest reply

Strange enough,  I didn't know that we could  put items in carts on ebay. Somethin learnt today.

So if a potential buyer puts something in the cart,  does this count as watched?

Message 19 of 51
latest reply

No, they are separate lists

Message 20 of 51
latest reply

I only put items in my cart if I'm potentially buying from a seller that offers a % off on multiple items--like the book sellers do. Or when I'm looking for multiple items at the same time. And the reason is to see the total cost before I decide. 

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 21 of 51
latest reply

@lintbrush*wrote:

I wonder what they tell the buyer when an item in their cart has had a price reduction.

Probably the same email as when you look at an item while price checking....

"Great news (insert ID)! Hi an item you viewed has just been reduced $1 you can buy it now"

I get them all the time. 

I have used the cart when I am shopping for an item that I may need more than one but in different variations. It's easier to see how much your going to spend or if you have to check multiple buyers because one doesn't have everything you want.........

And if you need a reminder that while you have champagne taste you can only afford water

Message 22 of 51
latest reply

unless I'm about to buy.

On the price reduction emails, you should read the other existing topics here...

On the cart question...

1.  Most other sites don't have a "watch list", so people put the "maybe" items in their cart... there's no other reliable way to find it again if they don't, short of bookmarking the page.  So they do the same on eBay, that's what they're used to.

2.  I put stuff in the cart when I'm shopping for multiple items from the same seller.  Even if there isn't a shipping discount involved, I want to pay for all those items at once, because the seller will get hit with a lot of extra fees if I pay separate, and the seller will pay a lot of extra shipping charges if I pay separate. 

I also put stuff in the cart (cheap stuff) from other buyers just to pay for it all at once as a means of saving time.  Anything more than a few bucks, I pay individual sellers separate and fund with the credit card, because ePal's "protection" schemes are not reliable.

eBay's cart has a myriad of problems, it's a piece of garbage, so I only use it in certain circumstances myself. 

The Floggings Will Continue Until Morale Improves.
Message 23 of 51
latest reply

I put items in my shopping cart that I might buy on my next paycheck.  I often get a discount show up and I am always happy to get discounts.  So, now I understand why I get discounts on my cart items and not on my watch list.

Message 24 of 51
latest reply

Well if I am buying from a large retailer here on eBay or a smaller seller I know has multiple things I want of course i'm gonna add the items I want to the cart while I continue browsing I am unaware how this is considered odd it's a very standard practice, I usually intend to purchase these items in the next few hours or less, the main reasons are to get the items in the same shipment to save a seller on shipping or hassle, to get their offered discount which is usually so much percent off for buying more than one item or to try for a combined shipping discount or to see if it will work properly or not it doesn't always go smoothy on eBay, if I do not want to purchase something within a few hours I will put it on my watch list. 

Message 25 of 51
latest reply

Tagging on to the last post only .....

None of these threads so far have mentioned that this may be another step in trying to emulate that A place.  They have long posted notices of price reductions (or increases) for items in your cart.  They don't send emails to shoppers, but they do post them when viewing your cart.  I don't know if they send notices to sellers though trying to entice them to lower prices.

Forget keeping up with the Joneses. Be the Finklegrubers!
OK kids, time to get the Dodge loaded up again. I hear 'Poppy's By the Tree' calling. This trip might be a long one too.
Message 26 of 51
latest reply

@kingoftheceltswrote:

Hi There,

unless I'm about to buy.

🙂

It is fairly common.  In the past when an eBay buyer put something in there cart it removed it from the active offering so others could not buy it.  Although that is not the case any longer all fixed priced items are always available until a buyer pays for them, many buyer do not know this or forgot, whatever the reason is, does not matter but here are a few scenarios that I am confident happen many times daily here on eBay

• Buyer goes to buy items in shopping cart and realizes they do not remember there paypal Log-IN info
  • Buyer goes to buy items in shopping cart and realizes they should probably check with the person getting item in cart to make sure sizes are correct
  • Buyer is going to send this item to friend or family member and not sure what the address is so they do not complete the transaction yet
  • Buyer is trying to decide between several different listings and eventually abandons the purchase all together
  • failed redirects to payments, Internet goes down during purchase
  • buyer sees total price with shipping and decides not to buy and leaves
  • Family emergency is taking place during purchase

Lots of different things can happen at time of purchase.

Good Luck Selling!

Message 27 of 51
latest reply

I have about 500 items in my Amazon cart. The prices go up just as often as they go down. In fact I was in the middle of buying an exercise step last week, and in the 10 minutes between finding and buying the price went up $5. Same with a workout bra I waited a few days to buy. Pricing on Amazon is really funky. The bra was $47 in blue but $19 in purple last week, now it's $25.

Amazon is a lot of work. I bought a used step through Amazon Warehouse instead for $66 rather than $93. I bought the bra on Ebay for $14.

Message 28 of 51
latest reply

As a buyer, I put items in my cart and purchase when I have the extra money - if the item is no longer available, too bad for me and good for the buyer who purchased it.  I see placing items in the cart in the same way as when I go shopping in a B&M store, I place and remove as needed or if on sale and if I have the funds to make the purchase.

Same with my watch list, if it sells to any other buyer, too bad for me/good for the buyer.  I hate being broke 😞

Message 29 of 51
latest reply

I put items I want to buy in the future in my watch list.  I put items I KNOW I'll buy in the future in my cart.  Now it may be far in the future but it'll happen ha 

“Birth certificates show that you were born. Death certificates show that you died. Photographs show that you have lived.” -Unknown
Message 30 of 51
latest reply