cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Did eBay quietly change the time zone policy?

tyler@ebay velvet@ebay 

This policy has always been unpublished so I came here to find out if the eBay team could tell us if this is an intended change or a glitch. If it's an intended change then it's a good one.

Seller ship-by dates (for .com) have always been determined based on eBay HQ clock- Pacific Time.

A seller that offers next-day shipping would be required to ship anything next day that was paid for before midnight PT which meant before 3:00 am for East coast sellers.

I've heard from 2 Eastern and 1 Central time zone seller that said- as of last week- eBay is showing ship-by dates based on their own time zones.

I didn't find any kind of announcement about this- and it's always been an unpublished policy- so it would be great if Tyler or Velvet could confirm if this really did change to the benefit of sellers not located on the West coast.

Message 1 of 22
latest reply
21 REPLIES 21

Since my mailman comes well before 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 PM it's really irrelevant to me. 

Message 2 of 22
latest reply

@jda07121 wrote:

Since my mailman comes well before 9 or 10 or 11 or 12 PM it's really irrelevant to me. 

It can mean a great deal to those who work............and live in Eastern zone.......

Message 3 of 22
latest reply

Definitely. The biggest impact would be to East coast sellers that offer next day shipping- especially ones that offer international shipping. It would change next day shipping from a concept to something that's literal in practice.

Orders that come in between midnight and 3:00 am ET could ship next day instead of same day if this is an intended change.

Message 4 of 22
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

tyler@ebay velvet@ebay 

This policy has always been unpublished so I came here to find out if the eBay team could tell us if this is an intended change or a glitch. If it's an intended change then it's a good one.

Seller ship-by dates (for .com) have always been determined based on eBay HQ clock- Pacific Time.

A seller that offers next-day shipping would be required to ship anything next day that was paid for before midnight PT which meant before 3:00 am for East coast sellers.

I've heard from 2 Eastern and 1 Central time zone seller that said- as of last week- eBay is showing ship-by dates based on their own time zones.

I didn't find any kind of announcement about this- and it's always been an unpublished policy- so it would be great if Tyler or Velvet could confirm if this really did change to the benefit of sellers not located on the West coast.

If a seller doesn't specify to eBay what time the seller wants to use, eBay has to have

something to go buy so it is set by default to eBay time.

It's nothing new you can go here and make it any time you want it to be.

You can even set it different for each day if you want to.

Set your working days and order cut off times

https://www.ebay.com/ship/cutoff 

Message 5 of 22
latest reply

@eunster1313- That setting is exclusively for same day handling. Same day handling is irrelevant to this discussion, but I appreciate your input.

This is a definite change. The question is whether it's intentional or a glitch.

Message 6 of 22
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

@eunster1313- That setting is exclusively for same day handling. Same day handling is irrelevant to this discussion, but I appreciate your input.

This is a definite change. The question is whether it's intentional or a glitch.

It's a (Global) setting.

Although its more important for same day handling it apples to all your listings.

I have been using it for years.

What you are seeing more than likely is a glitch, but who knows they may be

playing with something.

Message 7 of 22
latest reply

@eunster1313 wrote: ... It's a (Global) setting.

Although its more important for same day handling it apples to all your listings.

I have been using it for years. ...

Then why does the setup page that you linked to specify "same day handling"?

Screen Shot 2022-03-31 at 1.19.46 PM.png

Message 8 of 22
latest reply

I checked several of our recent ones and the handling time has not been modified and I am east Coast and the we tend to get a lot of orders that come in between midnight our time (EST) and 3 am (EST) that do take away a day of our 2-day handling time.  In fact, that is why it is still a 2-day handling time, etc.

None of our recent orders adjusted and I have 3 that were after midnight my time since Sunday (this week) and they all still counted as being that day, vs my next day, etc.  Am guessing it is a glitch.......

....... "The Ranger isn't gonna like it Yogi"......... Boo-Boo knew what he was talking about!

Posting ID Only.......
Yes, I have no Bananas, only Flamethrowers.......
Message 9 of 22
latest reply

I am in the central time zone.  When I get an order at 12:01 AM Monday Central then next day (1 day handling) shipping is for Tuesday, not Monday.  If the order is made at 11:59 PM Sunday the then next day shipping is for Monday. It has been working that way on my account for at least all of this year.  I think it changed for me sometime in 2021.  They are using local time for cutoff for my account.

Sure hope it is not a bug because I would have to pack even more shipments early morning to get picked up at 9AM. Otherwise have to drive to PO later in the day.  Really odd that different sellers are getting different results!

Message 10 of 22
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@eunster1313 wrote: ... It's a (Global) setting.

I have been using it for years. ...

Then why does the setup page that you linked to specify "same day handling"?

I would assume it says that because that setting would be most important

to any seller that chooses to use same day shipping.

You are free to believe what you want.

I don't do same day shipping but I set it as if I was.  And what ever I chose

apples to all my listings. and it has always worked for me.

I use it mostly if I need to take a day off for a doctors appointment or

something like that. You just shut the day off and turn it back on again

whenever you want to.

Message 11 of 22
latest reply

@coffeebean832 wrote:

tyler@ebay velvet@ebay 

Hey @coffeebean832! I reached out to the shipping team and they said they've been unable to duplicate this experience and are still seeing PST ship by times; even for the East coast sellers. They're reaching out to another team though to ensure they aren't missing something and I'll follow-up with you here once I've heard back from them. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 12 of 22
latest reply

East coast.  Mine now all show "ship by" 8:59 PM.

It allows for my 3 day handling, and 3 working days per week.

No sales between midnight, and 2:59 AM to see if that has now changed anything

Message 13 of 22
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hey @coffeebean832! I reached out to the shipping team and they said they've been unable to duplicate this experience and are still seeing PST ship by times; even for the East coast sellers. They're reaching out to another team though to ensure they aren't missing something and I'll follow-up with you here once I've heard back from them. 

velvet@ebay- Thank you for reaching out on this. I think you might be misunderstanding though. the times are all showing PT- what's different is how eBay is calculating the ship-by date.

I e-mailed a screenshot to you for more clarity. Please check that and let me know what you come up with.

Please also reference my post #4 above. Thanks! 🙂

Message 14 of 22
latest reply

General call out to any seller east of the Pacific time zone- especially if you offer next day handling- please check sales you get after midnight your time but before midnight PT and see what eBay displays as the ship-by date. Thanks. 😊

Message 15 of 22
latest reply