cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Classic Listing Form to Be Retired

I think most experienced sellers realized this when ebay first launched the new listing form in beta, but on today's ebay for business podcast, Griff and Rebecca confirmed that the classic listing form will be retired at some point (no date set). 

My advice is the same as usual: There's always a learning curve with anything new (not to mention the ingrained resistance to change many of us have) , so.....either plan on using a third party listing tool or start getting used to the new form now, before the old one is gone.

But, of course, my advice and 25 cents will get you...actually, not much of anything these days. Certainly not a cup of coffee....

Message 1 of 90
latest reply
89 REPLIES 89

@fern*wood wrote:

@aeparts1 wrote:

...more clicking around when it should have been easy.

That's seem to be way they want everything.  The seller hub was proof of that early on.

See, I'm already so tense just thinking about this that I can't even type!!!  

Edit:  That seems to be the way they want everything.

Message 31 of 90
latest reply

@this*old*attic wrote:

@simply-the-best-for-you

Ugh. Pop ups.

I’m at a new school this year, and the online system for storing Special Education info is A NIGHTMARE!!!!

I don’t know WHO thought this was a good idea (apparently just last year), because there are EXCELLENT systems out there.

Navigation is ridiculous, almost everything has a pop up…. there’s not even a blankety blank “next” button - every single solitary page (and these are 20+ page docs) has a separate drop down.

And COMMON REQUIRED PAGES, like a simple meeting invitation, is now a COMPLETELY SEPARATE document.

I don’t list much anymore, although I pick it up over summers, but now I’m terrified.

Literally.

It's not that bad - it's more a nuisance than anything else, and really poorly executed. 

There's always the adaptation of old processes to new formats, but this has an extra layer of cuteness that's pretty dense and not really useful. 

But, again, I recall when the new shipping page was developed, it was pretty bad, as well, same with seller hub - both vastly improved in time.  It wasn't a case of my getting used to them, because I simply kept testing them down through the months until I felt they were useful before switching over, but eBay did upgrade them - I'd like to think that they actually took comments into account.  They have gotten back to me a couple of times on issues.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 32 of 90
latest reply

To be honest for my aging eyes, it is horrible, so I hope I never have to list anything new, or ever edit a listing in this new format for the duration of my days here on eBay...I truly hope I am done with eBay by the time this becomes mandatory. I have other sites that I list and sell on which are so much easier, take but a few minutes to prepare & list an item >way less complicated listing formats and so much easier on the eyes than this.

I try to make the most of these changes on eBay, but when it becomes too much of a task, I will draw the line and take my listing/selling elsewhere. In the meantime I will take the easy path and use the classic format as long as it is available...

Message 33 of 90
latest reply

@yuzuha wrote:

@sextons-sweet-deals wrote:

I'm not sure what the video feature is going to accomplish! Sound like more work that is worthless! 

Title, photos, description details, ask questions before bidding or buying is all that is needed. 

I imagine it would be very useful for sellers who have items that actually do things-- animated holiday decorations, for example, or toys. A video would give the chance to show how the item works.

I'm pretty sure it's been added to keep up with other platforms as well, as Etsy & FBM have had the option to add video for a while.

I sell homemade kids stuff on my other eBay selling account and use the video option there. It is nice to be able to show additional features of an item that photos just don't do the trick for - especially since most buyers don't read descriptions.

Message 34 of 90
latest reply

Ugh, the pop-ups.  It now takes me longer to post, with more likelihood of errors. 

I don't mind change when it makes me more efficient. This does the opposite. Lol. Not sure if eBay is worth it for me anymore.

Message 35 of 90
latest reply

I usually like jumping in on betas - I jumped right in to seller hub because anything had to be better than the old pages. I love seller hub.

I've avoided this one like the plague. I've seen screenshots, but never actually dealt with the form.  Hearing the word "pop-ups" is enough to send me screaming. Popups on slow, laggy DSL are terrible.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the old advanced form. Everything we need is right there, in text on one page. Nothing is hidden behind sliders, popups and other crap.

If sellers want a "mobile" experience they can list on their cell phones/tablets.  I would imagine the vast majority of professional sellers want a real listing form like the advanced form, not a toy like any of the newer forms.

A very wise man once said "this sucks".  He was right.

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 36 of 90
latest reply

@popblox wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's been added to keep up with other platforms as well, as Etsy & FBM have had the option to add video for a while.

I sell homemade kids stuff on my other eBay selling account and use the video option there. It is nice to be able to show additional features of an item that photos just don't do the trick for - especially since most buyers don't read descriptions.

Yeah, that's one function that I can see having a lot of practical use for some sellers. It's not something I'm going to be using myself but I'm glad they finally added it as an option for all of the people who will benefit from it.

Message 37 of 90
latest reply

@popblox wrote:
That's what this feels like. Either eBay programmers went to Cornpone's Codin' Akademy, or they're being forced to implement something they know is horrendous and they're crying themselves to sleep at night.

Ummm... I don't think they care that much about it... 😉

A lot of this dismal coding development goes unseen, and no one from eBay wants to talk about it, let alone take responsibility for whatever this new form is trying to do, but there are some clues from the past that suggest that it's either offshore programming (most likely from Europe), or it at least originated at other eBay websites elsewhere, followed by a later attempt to adapt it for U.S. use. 

When the current Shipping form was in its earliest test form here, it was a bizarre hybrid of American and British terminology (such as text referring to GBP instead of dollars), and someone from eBay finally acknowledged that it had been developed in the UK, and some details were missed when bringing it over to ebay.com.

The European influence continues to this day, such as in the Shipping email you receive when you've purchased your label. In past years, it was a full record of what got sold and where it went, but then it went through a slash-and-burn revision that removed practically all the relevant data. After lengthy complaints about the fact that the message had no indication of which label for which product had been purchased, and no name or address of the person receiving it, that data was quietly and mostly restored in January of 2021.

To this day it's not entirely complete, as the address is rendered in European style, where the postal code (their version of a ZIP code) precedes the City name, and the State abbreviation is nowhere to be seen because that's a U.S.-specific address element. Thus your label address is shown in the message as something like

John Smith 

123 Main Street 

98765-4321 Springfield 

United States 

This has been reported more than once, but no one has managed to find a solution. It really should not be this difficult to fix something that obvious, but it's been 16 months now with no correction. This is why every major revision that comes along causes heart palpitations among long-time sellers. They are quick to announce but slow to fix.

Message 38 of 90
latest reply

I sell on a couple of former mobile-only apps.  They both finally matured an actual web app with retaining their simple mobile app - the web app works smoothly and quickly, no sliders and popups.  eBay makes things so complicated in every way it just boggles me - their fees structure is a great example.  I always try the new things, too, but I used to design forms in one of my jobs and I know bad form composition and over-complication when I see it.   With seller hub and the shipping page I could see that it was just a bit rough but the new listing form is just ridiculous.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 39 of 90
latest reply

Ugh.  I tried the new listing form a while ago and absolutely hated it.  It was awful.  Lots of busy work and pop-ups that made listing a lot more difficult and time consuming.  I sure hope their idea of "at some point" is a few decades from now.

I can guarantee you one thing, once it goes live with no way to go back to the old layout, the howling and gnashing of teeth in the boards will be epic!

Message 40 of 90
latest reply

Shouldn't their goal be to make it easier and FASTER to list instead of harder?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 41 of 90
latest reply

@southern*sweet*tea 

"There is absolutely nothing wrong with the old advanced form. Everything we need is right there, in text on one page. Nothing is hidden behind sliders, popups and other crap.

If sellers want a "mobile" experience they can list on their cell phones/tablets.  I would imagine the vast majority of professional sellers want a real listing form like the advanced form, not a toy like any of the newer forms."

I cannot plus this enough.

My bank/Insurance website did something similar and I took it all the way to the CEO's office over the very same complaints. They took a website and tried to turn it into a phone app. (While they already had a phone app).

My account was changed, my partners was still the old version so I could compare the two. After sending in a video of how bad it was. I actually got one of the Executive Team CS reps on a zoom call. I was able to show him how it now took 5 different screens, each with a data entry point, for something that used to be done on one page with one entry. They already had a mobile app that worked well, they were just upgrading the website for grins and giggles (and I think development dollars) Thankfully that all got fixed pretty quick. 

While there is a push for mobile friendly stuff (and I have no issue with that at all), there will always be people using computers.  Anyone that is uploading data and doing any sort of listing volume, is certainly not doing it on a phone. (And by listing volume, I mean individual listings, not a single listing with a mass stock amount)

No matter how hard the phone OS companies (and mobile developers) wish they were not, websites and PCs are not going away, you simply cannot replicate all the same functionality in a mobile app.  

Message 42 of 90
latest reply

For me it is time. 

If it takes more screens to do something - that means more time 

If I have to spawn a pop up, click on dropdowns and enter data on those pop ups and then close them - that means more time

If I cannot tab through a form to complete data entry on a single page - that means more time

From everything I have seen so far, it is making the process far more complicated and longer.

I was in a dev meeting once; you know the ones where everyone is in the room vying for those sacred development hours and dollars. I asked for 3 data entry points to be moved from a secondary screen to the main screen and to remove the second screen completely. It was going to cost about $3500 dollars. The Dev manager gave me a 30-minute lecture in front of everyone on "wasting developers time and company dollars" on a "frivolous cosmetic change". My boss asked me why I wanted it changed, my response was "it would save 395 FTE man hours a month".  The screen was changed, and the associated costs were recouped in less than a week. 

Sometimes less is more.  

If it takes longer, that costs me time, time = money. 

If it costs me more money, then it is NOT an improvement. 

Message 43 of 90
latest reply

Well...I just tried it.

To be honest I don't see all the white space that everyone has mentioned. Maybe that has something to do with my monitor or browser, idk.

The actual layout isn't bad at all, I was surprised, but OMG the spinning circle of doom on those stupid popup things is unbearable. What usually takes me five minutes or less took me 17 minutes to do.

17 minutes to list a single postcard.

Click, whirl, spin, click, whirl, spin, click, whirl, spin...

Lawd ha'mercy 😩

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 44 of 90
latest reply

Once you try it, does it force you to continue using it for all subsequent listings, and convert all your listings to the new format? I'm afraid to try it in case the 'test' is irreversible.

Message 45 of 90
latest reply