cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can no longer view details of SOLD items

Almost daily, I review my bookmarked searches for new items as well as sold searches for things I may have missed.  Sometimes there are more items included in a listing than are noted in the title or shown in the first photo and sometimes details of missing items or damage are given that help explain why an item sold for as little or as much as it did.

Tonight in going through my searches, I find I cannot view individual completed listings.  When I try, I get a new page that says, "The listing you’re looking for is no longer available. Check out this similar item we found for you," and it shows me something different.  Of course the "simiar" item is never even close to what I wanted to see.

This has not happened prior to today, so I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing this.  Has there been some permanent change?  Does ebay now feel threatened by sellers' ability to look at a sold item (which would seem the most plausible, knowing how paranoid they are)?  Thanks for any responses or insights.

Message 1 of 111
latest reply
110 REPLIES 110

Re: Can no longer view details of SOLD items

This is not a good change. Sellers need to see the details of completed listings to help with their research. I'm wondering if going forward there is a plan to charge us to view these details.
Message 46 of 111
latest reply

No response.  Which is a surprise, usually I hear SOMETHING within a couple of days.

@actionfrenzy wrote:
Any response on Twitter? This is so aggravating and is not helping my research to put up new listings...

Message 47 of 111
latest reply

I've read studies in the past that most Ebay users are in their 40's and 50's.  Maybe Ebay just doesn't want the geezers like me anymore.

Message 48 of 111
latest reply

I have no idea how to decide on an opening price or what to expect on my future listings now that eBay took away my ability to know anything about similar sold items.  Someone posted that eBay is not concerned about the seller.  That's right; they are not.  eBay makes all their money on the seller - not the buyer.  So we should be important.  But we are not.  We can't even post negative feedback on a bad buyer.   And now we can't see closed details to help us create listings that will make eBay money when the item sells.   So somehow we are supposed to just figure it out???

Message 49 of 111
latest reply

I agree with the replies that appear to unanimously support allowing us to view the full details of completed auctions.  That is very important for the sense of openness of the auctions on Ebay.  

They might be in the testing phase of this, which is why it is only happening to some auctions.

It is good for us to give our feedback and make sure they know we don't like this change.

Like when they temporarily got rid of "Most Bids first" a lot of us wrote in and they brought it back.

Message 50 of 111
latest reply

That is a great tip, but how frustrating to have to figure that out!

Message 51 of 111
latest reply

You should start a new thread under sold listing work around, I looked at a lot of posts before I found this one. Thanks for your info!! a life saver for researchers!
Message 52 of 111
latest reply

By far the dumbest change ebay has made in a long time. It is do doubt designed to try to lure people to an item for sale.  

Ebay, are you listening?  We don't use Sold searches to find items we're looking to buy. We use it for research.  Granted, we can still get to the item by clicking the little link. but it takes several more clicks, and with every click we're reminded just how out of touch you are with your users. 

Change it back, please. 

Message 53 of 111
latest reply

Thanks... it worked...
but it makes me think Ebay is on its way to removing the abi,it’s to see sold items..
That would suck big time...
Message 54 of 111
latest reply

YES, I USE THE WATCHED AND SOLD ITEMS LISTS A LOT TOO AND NOTICED THIS RIGHT OFF THE BAT. IT IS ANOTHER PART OF EBAY'S NEW POLICY TO ELIMINATE AS MUCH DATA AS POSSIBLE THAT DOESN'T AFFECT THEIR BOTTOM LINE---PROFIT. CAN YOU IMAGINE HOW MUCH DATA THAT IS THAT THEY DON'T HAVE TO PROVIDE TO THE BUYING/SELLING COMMUNITY AND HOW MUCH $$$ THAT SAVES THEM???? THEN THEY SLIP IN ANOTHER SIMILAR ITEM FOR YOU TO BUY. AFTER YOU SELL AN ITEM, THE FIRST THING THAT POPS UP ON THE BUYER'S PAGE IS A LIST OF OTHER ITEMS JUST LIKE YOURS THAT ARE OFTEN CHEAPER THAN YOURS. A LOT OF BUYERS THEN CANCEL YOUR SOLD ITEM AND BUY ONE JUST LIKE IT FOR LESS. THEY DON'T CARE ABOUT YOU. THEIR REAL MONEY IS MADE IN ASIA NOW. IT'S LIKE THE TOBACCO COMPANIES----THEY'VE SAID THAT AFTER SECURING THE YOUNG PEOPLE IN ASIA AS NEW CLIENTEL, THEY DON'T CARE IF THEY SELL ANOTHER PACK OF CIGARETTES TO ANYONE IN THE UNITED STATES. IT'S ALSO OUT UNILATERAL CENSORING. THEY DO WHAT THEY WANT WHEN THEY WANT AND HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO FEAR OF UNINTENDED  CONSEQUENCES. ALL OF THE NEW PROGRAM CHANGES MAKE NO SENSE, IT'S ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY FOR EBAY. YOU EITHER LEARN TO PUT UP WITH IT AND ADAPT OR GET OUT-----IT'S STILL THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN AND THAT AIN'T CHANGING.

Message 55 of 111
latest reply

WAIT UNTIL YOU MONKEES FIGURE OUT THE OTHER 10 THINGS THAT EBAY HAS BEEN QUIETLY INSTIGATED TO LIMIT "DATA RETENTION" TO SAVE THEM $$$, NOT TO MENTION OUTRIGHT "CENSORING." LIKE "911", THE GREAT WHITE HOPE OBAMA, FACEBOOK, TWITTER, EXPENSIVE CELL PHONES THAT CAN COOK PANCAKES FOR YOU AND 1000 OTHER THINGS YOU DON'T NEED, AND ALL THOSE SHINY THINGS THEY LEAVE ON THE ROAD LIKE CRUMBS FOR CROWS THAT YOU PICK UP AND PUT IN YOUR POCKET, SO THAT YOU NEVER LOOK UP AND REALIZE THAT YOUR SWIMMING IN WIFI AND CHEM TRAILS THAT HAVE HIJACKED OUR WEATHER AND MOTHER NATURE AND IONIZED OUR ATMOSPHERE WITH MAGNETIZED ALUMINUM NANO PARTICLES THAT YOU EAT DRINK AND BREATH EVERYDAY ----YOU'RE  ALL BEING HERDED---WAKE UP.

Message 56 of 111
latest reply

If things aren't selling on ebay, buyers won't see why or if they aren't selling. If you watch people in an antique shop, they check on almost EVERYTHING in "Completed Items" before they decide to buy. As a result, a seller doesn't have much of a chance to sell an item when it is compared to unsold or sold ebay "Completed Items." They are now giving us the thumbnail only - no details. This new policy, I think, makes ebay sellers able to sell more, since comparisons have this, quite limited, lack of access to details on each item. It could help sellers but it could also hurt them, depending on the item listed.
Message 57 of 111
latest reply

I believe that they should attempt to change this issue. It would be much easier if ebay would allow buyers / sellers to immediately see keyword descriptions on thumbnails (seriously though, MANY MANY people do NOT describe in detail, any longer, in their ads re condition of item. I think that they should require sellers provide better pictures and more detailed descriptions. So many sellers don't offer that and often buyers (also those who constantly check completed items when shopping in brick and morter shops) are mislead by the true value of an item because of the lack of details. If it is a common item, and is all over ebay without a sale, that tells you plenty in and of itself as to what it might be worth. Regardless, when things don't show up on ebay because of the lack of a category or the rarity of an item (I call it "lost on ebay) even looking at completed items don't do the item justice. Sometimes I have rare items that bring only half of what it may have sold for before the Great Recession.
Message 58 of 111
latest reply

....also, in addition to my last comment here, I mean't to say that, through the years, many items one might try to sell in a shop are marked down, considerably, since an unsold item (lest we not forget the endless hikes in shipping that deter buyers - esp on less expensive or more common items) shows up in completed items. It ain't like the old days when it comes to selling stuff in shops when competing with ebay no-sell items. Furthermore, the BEST thing ebay did, AFTER Meg Whitman left (thank-you, angel above) was to provide the free listing fee and the non-payer strikes. Feedback issues were THE biggest problem that ebay had since day one. Of course, we all had to get used to the fact that the onus is on the seller - buyer can certainly lie about condition if they have buyer's remorse. Still, if the buyer explains, in exacting detail, condition of item and it is evident in both photos and description, I have found that sellers really shouldn't be quite as concerned as they believed they should be in the beginning, with this change. I've been selling on ebay for 20 years and only had a few difficult buyers, for sure. But, in light of aforementioned, most buyers are not difficult. I agree, any change in viewing details of "Completed Items" will be difficult for sellers as well as buyers. Frankly, suggestions of how I should price an item when it doesn't sell doesn't fly with me. I doubt there are the required number of expert appraisers on antique items in the corporate structure. Also, I doubt that they can consider how prices fluctuate, often times wildly. Still, some sellers DO attempt to sell items for ridiculously high starting bids. I would suggest that ebay hire some "Antique Roadshow" type appraisers but even then, should know that they too are often wrong. Ebay glitches abound but it is a huge corp like no other. The Etsy's and related sights pale in comparison and essentially are ebay copy cats. I hope they can change what will be beneficial for all of us.

Message 59 of 111
latest reply

EBAY PLEASE REVERT THIS TO PREVIOUS FUNCTIONALITY!
It's very confusing now, very misleading and can/will lead to all sorts of issues. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! This will not increase your earnings, it will actually decrease them, with frustrated buyers and sellers. Huge deal of items on eBay are unique, not only by condition, location, shipping terms etc, but also on all sorts of other properties. Some of us are aware that you started with "Product-Based Shopping Experience", copying Amazon, but this is for some specific categories/type of goods only, so why don't you apply this new model to these alone? It would have SOME sense (although very unwelcome to 99% of your buyers and sellers), but to apply it to EVERYTHING, that's just plain stupid and will disappoint MOST of the buyers once they realize they have been "conned" or mislead by your "smart" and unwanted suggestions.
Message 60 of 111
latest reply