cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CYBER MONDAY? IS EBAY's Day of the Dead?

abeandsable
Scout

Ebay Killed Cyber Monday

Wow, I have read many of the previous post on low sales. Click through rates, Sales conversions, Graphs, Charts, best practices. Suggested Prices ( yes any one will by a Mercede's for a dollar "  I am a small attic seller However this is clearly affecting every seller on Ebay. Lower the price , Take better photo's , Write a better description ,add more product identifiers. Cross Market with Social Media. Offer free returns, Free shipping ,Gaurenteed delivery:

OH Promoted listings ! Were we pay extra to get view's but if you do not have sales conversions for the views ,you will get dropped lower or out of in the search results. so we are actually paying to promote no sales ?

Their new search engine is a gamble and it seems as if we all have lost. 

All this did not matter before Ebay "Fixed" itself only just helped. 

They have "fixed" every small retailer out of the field. From  some of the post a few large one's also . I am not asking for help just expressing my "Impressions" of sadness and sorrow for a once great venue of a retail market. 

Yard sale comming this summer. 

Message 1 of 218
latest reply
217 REPLIES 217

we sold something below cost last night and this morning the customer cancelled his order......sigh  

Message 16 of 218
latest reply

@patriot4ever818 wrote:

we sold something below cost last night and this morning the customer cancelled his order......sigh  

Buyer probably got a sponsored ad via Ebay showing lower prices from competing e-retailers.  LOL

Message 17 of 218
latest reply

I had 2 small sales on Sunday, both are accepted best offers and neither has paid yet.  Had an international buyer finally pay for an item on Saturday after I opened an unpaid items case, then found out that the item (a silver spoon) is prohibited by India customs.  Now ebay won't let me cancel it because the buyer paid (cs was zero help) and I can't ship it knowing that it is prohibited (buyer is saying he gets silver shipped all the time even though he has zero feedback).  That is my entire ebay Black Friday weekend.  I guess I'm lucky only being down 62% from last year.

Message 18 of 218
latest reply

@pburn wrote:
I'm a buyer only, and I was quite disappointed that eBay didn't offer a general discount coupon over this major holiday-shopping weekend. There was one maybe Thursday if you used the app, and there were those discounts from specific sellers that they run quite often, but no maybe 15% across the board for any buyer to use with any seller? What a missed opportunity.

Needless to say, I shopped elsewhere.

Agree. I have a few higher value items on my watch list (well bookmarked anyway) that I'm wating for  a site wide % off coupon. Cyber Monday I thought (for sure). Nope, nada....just crickets.

Reality is the leading cause of stress.
Message 19 of 218
latest reply

I was hoping the cycle would be "broken" this year.  I started selling on ebay before "cyber" Monday was "invented" and have never had a sell on this day despite averaging 7-10 sales per day for some years.  The busiest online shopping is always around December 7-12 every year.   Back before the internet, mail order was a month earlier.  Cyber Monday is just something made up by the retail lobby....only in America could such a day be named and invented.  I'm sure many more "created" shopping days are in the works as I type. 

Message 20 of 218
latest reply

Diamonds are just worthless stones that are not rare at all.  1 caret diamonds would be worth less than a penny if all the diamonds mined in the world were released on the open market. 

Message 21 of 218
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@emerald40 wrote:

Why is this ebay's fault?

They cannot force buyers to come here or purchase from you.

Today there is no such thing as buyer loyalty.  They go where they can find what they want for the least money possible.

Obviously they are not finding that here.

Like I posted in another thread I just did all my searches.  I added nothing to my watched list, never mind buy it outright.

I can find it cheaper in the stores by shopping sales and using coupons.

Poor, helpless eBay... yet ecommerce as a whole posted nearly a 25% increase over last year on Black Friday alone.

You'd think eBay might care about this.

Yes, as a whole it was 25% increase.  I am sure the stores selling big TV's, i8 phones and other electronics at slashed prices did extremely well.  Others not having highly wanted items did not.

Same here.  Some sellers did extremely well I am sure.  It all depends on whether or not you had what buyers are looking for and you had it at a price that beat the competition.

It'll be interesting to see how Q4 winds up eBay vs. Etsy, especially given this:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/etsys-stock-soars-toward-record-high-after-raised-revenue-growth-o...

The company said it now expects 2018 revenue to rise 32% to 34% from a year ago, compared with its previous guidance range of 22% to 24%.

vs this:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-ebay-results/ebay-revenue-misses-as-weak-us-sporting-season-hits-...

Now, granted, revenue has to do with a lot more than just marketplace sales but it'll really be interesting to see how Q4 for eBay compares to Amazon and Etsy.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 22 of 218
latest reply

@myjunqueyourtreasure wrote:

@pburn wrote:
I'm a buyer only, and I was quite disappointed that eBay didn't offer a general discount coupon over this major holiday-shopping weekend. There was one maybe Thursday if you used the app, and there were those discounts from specific sellers that they run quite often, but no maybe 15% across the board for any buyer to use with any seller? What a missed opportunity.

Agree. I have a few higher value items on my watch list (well bookmarked anyway) that I'm wating for  a site wide % off coupon. Cyber Monday I thought (for sure). Nope, nada....just crickets.

Hi @myjunqueyourtreasure! We do have a 10% coupon live right now! Check out the details here Smiley Happy 

Brian,
Community Team
Message 23 of 218
latest reply

You may be having the same issue as me...buyers are getting an error message when they try to use BIN and pay through PayPal that says I am not accepting payments.   I had eBay on the phone multiple times today and they tried to buy something from me and got the same error.   Nothing has been done about it yet, just SOL i guess...

Message 24 of 218
latest reply

That is why ebay is promoting Chinese sellers and their product over American Sellers with American made Merchandise.  99.9% of all American buyers will opt for the Chinese made item shipped from china if it is 1 cent less over the better quality and longer lasting American Item.  This rule does not apply to vehicle purchases.

Message 25 of 218
latest reply

I'm still wondering how ebay has a market cap of 27 billion dollars.  Should be around $3-5 based on revenue.  The stock would then be priced at a reasonable level at $3-5 per share.

Message 26 of 218
latest reply

brian@ebay wrote:

@pburn wrote:

Hi @myjunqueyourtreasure! We do have a 10% coupon live right now! Check out the details here Smiley Happy 

A coupon that is good for 4 hours only ?   And buyers know this only if they happen to go to ebay's front page during those 4 hours ?

I've read this several times and still don't know if those listed categories are or are not eligible; it reads as if all of the things people might actually want to buy are not included in the promotion:

Terms & Conditions:

This Coupon is a 10% discount off, valid from 3:00 PM PT on November 26, 2018 until 7:00 PM PT on November 26, 2018. No minimum purchase required. The Coupon discount is capped at a maximum value of $50. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com, cafr.ebay.ca and ebay.ca. *Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Computers & Electronics, Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers/Tablets & Networking, Consumer Electronics, Video Games & Consoles, Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, Vehicles, and Real Estate categories. 

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 27 of 218
latest reply

@sharingtheland wrote:

brian@ebay wrote:

@pburn wrote:

A coupon that is good for 4 hours only ?   And buyers know this only if they happen to go to ebay's front page during those 4 hours ?

I've read this several times and still don't know if those listed categories are or are not eligible; it reads as if all of the things people might actually want to buy are not included in the promotion:

Terms & Conditions:

This Coupon is a 10% discount off, valid from 3:00 PM PT on November 26, 2018 until 7:00 PM PT on November 26, 2018. No minimum purchase required. The Coupon discount is capped at a maximum value of $50. Discount applies to the purchase price (excluding shipping, handling, and taxes) of eligible items on eBay.com, cafr.ebay.ca and ebay.ca. *Eligible items exclude warranties and protection plans, as well as items from the Computers & Electronics, Cameras & Photo, Cell Phones & Accessories, Computers/Tablets & Networking, Consumer Electronics, Video Games & Consoles, Coins & Paper Money, Gift Cards & Coupons, Vehicles, and Real Estate categories. 

Hi @sharingtheland, I'm happy to clarify that the listed categories are excluded from the coupon while categories not listed are eligible for the coupon.

Brian,
Community Team
Message 28 of 218
latest reply

I too shopped elsewhere.

An email arrived this morning saying that a book site that I frequent was having a one day, site-wide 50% off sale.  Promo code CYBERMONDAY.  50% off everything.  They'd never done anything like that in years past, so I went right over.  It was a very good deal, and I bought several books.

Message 29 of 218
latest reply

So, let me get this straight.  Ebay excluded electronics from the promotion?  The things that are selling like hotcakes everywhere else with promotions?

I am so very confused.  <---sarcasm font, just in case someone tried to explain to me that ebay wants to keep that 10% of ... nothing.

Sherry

=^.^= =^.^=
( ) ( )
" " =^.^= " "
Message 30 of 218
latest reply