cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

list14
Adventurer

Buyer wants to return a pair of shoes from an upscale kids' well known company. She clicked that the item was defective and added this:

"Even though these boots are new, they are defective. The shank on the left boot was a lot smaller than the shank on the right boot. My granddaughter had no trouble putting on the right boot but never was able to get the left boot even after 30 minutes of trying. I need to send them back, they are of no use to me since she can t wear them. Thank You,"

Who tries to put on shoes for 30 minutes...?

Do I accept the return or... what else should I do?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

In my experience, you're better off accepting the return and refunding the money. It's better than the buyer opening a case with eBay. Then, if the item really is defective, you can get rid of it, and if not, you should be able to sell it again. Good luck!

Message 2 of 23
latest reply

Re: Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

Doesn't really matter who tries to get a boot on for 30 minutes. What you do is send a return shipping label and, upon receipt, refund in full.

Message 3 of 23
latest reply

Thanks. Unless the shoe is my size, which it isn't, I don't think I could tell if it's really defective. Nothing looked out of the ordinary when I sent it out. Thanks for your advice.
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

Thanks
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

@list14 wrote:

Buyer wants to return a pair of shoes from an upscale kids' well known company. She clicked that the item was defective and added this:

"Even though these boots are new, they are defective. The shank on the left boot was a lot smaller than the shank on the right boot. My granddaughter had no trouble putting on the right boot but never was able to get the left boot even after 30 minutes of trying. I need to send them back, they are of no use to me since she can t wear them. Thank You,"

Someone who really really wants that boot to fit obviously. Bit of a snide comment, no?

It's a SNAD so yes, you accept the return. (or eBay will accept it for you).

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

@list14 wrote:

The "shank" of the boot has nothing to do with why the left boot wouldn't fit the buyer's granddaughter. Maybe the left boot was a smaller size than the right boot? I can't imagine anyone trying to fit in a boot that obviously won'the fit.

Message 7 of 23
latest reply

I do think it's buyer's remorse because it was an expensive pair of boots but I know that's irrelevant because I can't prove that.

Message 8 of 23
latest reply

The only shanking being done here is to you.  The daughter's foot probably grew and they don't fit - but if they claim that something is wrong YOU pay return shipping instead of them.

(*Bleep*)
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

It's so frustrating. Thanks
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

There is no snide comment here.

No one tries to put on a shoe for 30 minutes. But plenty of buyers know if they lie about an item being defective, then they don't have to pay return postage for getting the wrong size.

that is a problem.

Message 11 of 23
latest reply

@list14 wrote:

I do think it's buyer's remorse because it was an expensive pair of boots but I know that's irrelevant because I can't prove that.

The buyer is saying there is a  (steel or what?) shank in expensive girls' boots - and one of them is sized wrong?  If you could bend the boot in the middle of the sole, it didn't have a "shank".

The buyer is probably exaggerating by saying 30 minutes - trying to keep a small child still enough to even try on shoes in a store can seem like it takes hours! 😃

Chalk the transaction up to an unhappy buyer and return on refund. Alternatively, if the resale value is not greater than paying return shipping, you might decide to refund outright.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

They more than likely got the wrong size. But they know they can lie and get you to pay return shipping. Unfortunately you can't do anything about it.

But at least they aren't trying to steal the boots. Just accept the return, and mark them up on the next round to cover the postage loss.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

Should I ask the buyer any questions to get her to admit there is nothing wrong with the boots or something?  The boots were expensive which is why I think it's buyer's remorse.  They were new and cost over $70.00

Message 14 of 23
latest reply

@list14 wrote:

Should I ask the buyer any questions to get her to admit there is nothing wrong with the boots or something?  The boots were expensive which is why I think it's buyer's remorse.  They were new and cost over $70.00

You sold them on ebay where the buyer is always right and never lies. 

There is a snad dispute - there is nothing you can do except say return for refund and send them a return ship label.

(*Bleep*)
Message 15 of 23
latest reply