cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

list14
Adventurer

Buyer wants to return a pair of shoes from an upscale kids' well known company. She clicked that the item was defective and added this:

"Even though these boots are new, they are defective. The shank on the left boot was a lot smaller than the shank on the right boot. My granddaughter had no trouble putting on the right boot but never was able to get the left boot even after 30 minutes of trying. I need to send them back, they are of no use to me since she can t wear them. Thank You,"

Who tries to put on shoes for 30 minutes...?

Do I accept the return or... what else should I do?

Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Re: Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

Have you ever considered that just maybe the buyer is right and one is sized differently to the other? It happens (all too frequently)

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

Re: Buyer wants to return item because the "shank" is too narrow? How do I proceed?

I would probably simply advise her to return for a refund and send her a return label.  

Unfortunately, it is often the case that a person's right and left foot are not exactly the same size.  Alas!  Grandparents aren't always aware of a child's development as a parent would be and I doubt if bringing up anything regarding the grandchild having two different sized feet would be met well by a grandmother.  Best to just refund upon return and move on.

By the way, it is always prudent to try on both shoes when shopping for a pair of shoes.  Very few people have exactly the same size feet although the variance may be negligible.  I'm sometimes amazed by the number of people that don't do this as evidenced by the number of shoes in a shoe store that have only the right shoe in the box laced with the left one not.  Of course, the left could feel a bit tighter than the right being that it had not been tried on as much as the other.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

reply return for refund.....

if the shoes were made in china, they probably are defective...

they do not care about quality, just quantity,  they d not care, they made their 30 cents 

Message 18 of 23
latest reply

@list14 wrote:

Buyer wants to return a pair of shoes from an upscale kids' well known company. She clicked that the item was defective and added this:

"Even though these boots are new, they are defective. The shank on the left boot was a lot smaller than the shank on the right boot. My granddaughter had no trouble putting on the right boot but never was able to get the left boot even after 30 minutes of trying. I need to send them back, they are of no use to me since she can t wear them. Thank You,"

Who tries to put on shoes for 30 minutes...?

Do I accept the return or... what else should I do?

I would kindly ask the lying buyer to return the boots at their own cost and refund the original purchase price once they are returned. 

The shank is the steel ( sometimes plastic piece) located in the sole of the boot that supports the arch of the foot. 

Message 19 of 23
latest reply

"Should I ask the buyer any questions to get her to admit there is nothing wrong with the boots or something?  The boots were expensive which is why I think it's buyer's remorse.  They were new and cost over $70.00"

It's been about and hour since your original posting and you're still hopelessly groping around for some reason not to simply do the right thing by sending a return shipping label and refunding the money.  A  negative on your feed back seems to mean nothing to you in view of your rather limited selling experience.

"Fly the Big Ones"
Message 20 of 23
latest reply

Actually, fit is supposed to be classed as a buyer's remorse issue.  It is a slim chance, but you may have some ammo there to use in order to at least not have to pay return shipping.

Also, did you have a return policy on the item other than No Returns?

If it works, sell it. If it works well, sell it for more. If it doesn't work, quadruple the price and sell it as an antique.

-- Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #80
Message 21 of 23
latest reply

No, just no returns. Thanks for your input.
Message 22 of 23
latest reply

@nowthatsjustducky wrote:

Actually, fit is supposed to be classed as a buyer's remorse issue.  It is a slim chance, but you may have some ammo there to use in order to at least not have to pay return shipping.

Also, did you have a return policy on the item other than No Returns?

I believe you would be correct if the buyer hadn't claimed that the item was defective which was not disclosed in listing and thus the SNAD.  Unfortunately, the seller appears to be between a rock and a hard place when faced with such a claim.

"It is an intelligent man that is aware of his own ignorance."
Message 23 of 23
latest reply