cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to return NEW phone after they already used it

I sold a brand new factory sealed Motorola XT1671 Moto G5 Unlocked Phone, the buyer unsealed, claimed "software issues with contacts & internet" and now wants to return it despite my no returns policy.  

1. The package is not damaged during shipment, the phone has no hardware issue.

2. I have the exact same phone and it works with both AT&T and T-Mobile, so I don't think there is any software issues.

3. The phone already used, I won't be able to resell it for the same price.

4. Buyer has 100% positive feedback

How should I handle this return request? Is there anyway I can decline the return?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

unfortunately if you declined the return the buyer will just claim that the item is not as described and you will be forced to pay return shipping and accept the return.

there's not really a whole lot you can do, selling on eBay is very risky nowadays as there is no seller protection even when buyers ship back a box full of rocks you're still out of pocket.

My only advice is do not sell anything expensive here. If you're selling phones or items over $40 Facebook marketplace is

the place to sell and you will sell it faster than on eBay as there is more traffic there now.

Best of luck and happy holidays.

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

@eddychau wrote:

1. The package is not damaged during shipment, the phone has no hardware issue.

2. I have the exact same phone and it works with both AT&T and T-Mobile, so I don't think there is any software issues.

3. The phone already used, I won't be able to resell it for the same price.

4. Buyer has 100% positive feedback

None of these matter. You need to accept the return and pray you receive your phone back......and not the buyers old flip phone instead. (or some other junk) Phones are one of the most scammed items on Ebay unfortunately. BTW, ALL buyers have 100% feedback, they cannot be given neutral or negative at all. 

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You can't decline the return.   Tell the buyer return for refund.  If you have free returns or are TRS you can withhold up to 50% of the refund because the item is no longer "new".

If you don't get your phone back there are steps you should take, come back and we will list them out for you.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Like everyone has pointed out you have to eat the return. You don't offer free returns so there is no recourse on your part. There is always that chance it is actually having problems. My Samsung Note 8 was buggy right out of the box when I bought it. Maybe ask them if they are willing to try doing a software update on it then a master reset.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

Thanks for all of your replies. I don't anticipate this for selling brand new item.

It's such bad experience during holiday season, especially eBay can't do anything to help.

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Update 12/28: I accepted the return and sent buyer a return shipping label last week. However, buyer never send the phone back. Thus eBay closed the return request because "the buyer did not return the item to you within the required timeframe."

Thanks for your advice and have a happy holiday.

Message 7 of 7
latest reply