cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer wants to cancel.

Why does a seller have to fund a canceled item, when the buyer wants to cancel the transaction?  I mean as a buyer my funds are on hold so why doesn’t eBay just reslease the money back to the buyer?  How am I as a seller guaranteed I get that money back?  Plus Taxes and fees?   This seems really suspicious on eBay’s part!   Takes some responsibility eBay instead of just cashing in on the money from fees!   It’s your platform not mine.

Message 1 of 85
latest reply
84 REPLIES 84

Buyer wants to cancel.

How do I get reimbursed for a cancelled order plus fees and taxes Charged for an item that now is not sold?

Message 2 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

Hi, the payment for the order is being processed by eBay and will appear as "pending" in Seller Hub > Payments. If you cancel the order, the reimbursement for the cancellation will be (should be) taken from those pending funds. 

Message 3 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

Q: I mean as a buyer my funds are on hold so why doesn’t eBay just reslease the money back to the buyer?

A: They will.

Q: How am I as a seller guaranteed I get that money back?

A: You won't, but your buyer will.

Q: Plus Taxes and fees?

A: That will appear as a credit when the refund is issued.

Message 4 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

Why does a seller have to fund a canceled item, when the buyer wants to cancel the transaction? 

@spychiger 

It is a bit of "creative bookkeeping" on eBay's part.  Since eBay already took their share of the payment, you likely don't have enough to make a full refund (required when cancelling) unless you have enough funds from another transaction. 

Message 5 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

Feels to me like it’s pushing off responsibility onto a seller,  while eBay rapes you for fees on a website that nobody bids on auctions anymore.  EBay should man up and take responsibility for their platform to cover the cost.  Lord knows they make enough off fees to hire a secretary for bookkeeping and for answering a telephone for customer service!

Message 6 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@spychiger wrote:

Why does a seller have to fund a canceled item, when the buyer wants to cancel the transaction?  I mean as a buyer my funds are on hold so why doesn’t eBay just reslease the money back to the buyer?  How am I as a seller guaranteed I get that money back?  Plus Taxes and fees?   This seems really suspicious on eBay’s part!   Takes some responsibility eBay instead of just cashing in on the money from fees!   It’s your platform not mine.

As it stands, you'll lose money whenever a paying buyer asks you to cancel an order.

I've been posting about this for a while. It's super problematic but a lot of excuses are being made.

Message 7 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@popblox wrote:

Hi, the payment for the order is being processed by eBay and will appear as "pending" in Seller Hub > Payments. If you cancel the order, the reimbursement for the cancellation will be (should be) taken from those pending funds. 

And where will they get their precious 30 cents?

Have all you big timers not had to cancel any orders or what?

Message 8 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

Winter announcementWe’ll also credit the $0.30 transaction fee if the Buyer is requesting a cancellation and the Seller accepts. 

Pretty sure it is set to start March 1st  and not before time - the 0.30c means nothing to myself or a lot of HV sellers, but the issues it is causing for some regarding refund ability is abysmal.

Edited: Because now I seem to have lost the ability to spell !

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 9 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@downunder-61 wrote:

Winter announcementWe’ll also credit the $0.30 transaction fee if the Buyer is requesting a cancellation and the Seller accepts. 

Pretty sure it is set to start March 1st  and not before time - the 0.30c means nothing to myself or a lot of HV sellers, but the issues it is causing for some regarding refund ability is abysmal.

Unfortunately this is incomplete information. I wish it were true. But it's only if the buyer makes the request within an hour of purchase.

It's really petty of eBay overall.

I'd happily be wrong about this but this has been discussed at length in other posts.

Message 10 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@espresso_warehouse wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

Unfortunately this is incomplete information. I wish it were true. But it's only if the buyer makes the request within an hour of purchase.

I'd happily be wrong about this but this has been discussed at length in other posts.

I am afraid it is you who are incorrect on this: The first hour cancellation only applies when the buyer has NOT paid - hence no 0.30c transaction applies as no moey has transferred:

If you click the cancel transaction button in your purchase history within the first hour after your offer and then your seller declines to cancel within the following three days, you won't ever have to pay and won't get a strike, see here.

I stand by my orignal post: 

Message 11 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@downunder-61 wrote:

@espresso_warehouse wrote:

@downunder-61 wrote:

I am afraid it is you who are incorrect on this: The first hour cancellation only applies when the buyer has NOT paid - hence no 0.30c transaction applies as no moey has transferred:

If you click the cancel transaction button in your purchase history within the first hour after your offer and then your seller declines to cancel within the following three days, you won't ever have to pay and won't get a strike, see here.

I stand by my orignal post: 

False. The thing is, I still don't get why someone who doesn't sell from a different country is here peddling misinformation. What is the purpose of this? Do you really think I can't link to this post?Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 2.51.58 PM.png

Message 12 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

I believe Tyler later realised he was mistaken.

Currently, eBay keeps a $0.30 per-order fee when an order is cancelled due to a buyer request. This is in line with fees that other marketplaces and third-party payment processors apply in similar buyer cancellation cases. We're excited to announce that starting March 1, 2022, eBay will refund the entire final value fee, including the $0.30 per-order fee, when you approve a buyer’s cancellation request. We recognize that buyers may cancel transactions for various reasons at no fault of the seller and we want to support you by refunding 100% of the final value fee.

No mention of one hour, no mention on non payment, just straight from eBay latest update

Message 13 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

@downunder-61 wrote:

I believe Tyler later realised he was mistaken.

Currently, eBay keeps a $0.30 per-order fee when an order is cancelled due to a buyer request. This is in line with fees that other marketplaces and third-party payment processors apply in similar buyer cancellation cases. We're excited to announce that starting March 1, 2022, eBay will refund the entire final value fee, including the $0.30 per-order fee, when you approve a buyer’s cancellation request. We recognize that buyers may cancel transactions for various reasons at no fault of the seller and we want to support you by refunding 100% of the final value fee.

No mention of one hour, no mention on non payment, just straight from eBay latest update

what you believe is irrelevant.

If Tyler said that, link to it then. This has been discussed at length in several forums and that is where everyone landed. Clearly you have some secret information and I would be encouraged if ebay did the right thing here so I'm open to being wrong. But you have a history of being peddling misinformation so I'm skeptical.

Message 14 of 85
latest reply

Buyer wants to cancel.

I mean as a buyer my funds are on hold so why doesn’t eBay just release the money back to the buyer?

Add a CC to your account for fees.

Message 15 of 85
latest reply