cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

OK, I don’t usually write on forums but this is killing me, I sold an item for $0.99 to a buyer in Japan, last Saturday evening the buyer open up a case for item not received, usually the seller has 3 business days to "make things right" for the buyer however the case got escalated on Sunday (exactly 24 hours later) and the buyer got refunded and my concern is that i got a non-resolution case about this, I called eBay and they told me this is a new policy regarding items not received, What is going on with eBay?? Are they going nuts? The buyer open up a case during the weekend and the case closed during the weekend? for those who don’t know the maximum amount of cases without a seller resolution is up to 0.3% or 1 every 333 items, it’s not even worth it sell items for $0.99 anymore, Take a look at the screenshot and tell me what do you think.

Cliffton

Message 1 of 714
latest reply
713 REPLIES 713

Buyer open up a case for $0.99 item during the weekend and got excalated 24 hours later

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

OK, I called eBay ones again last Monday about the non-resolution case and the representative understand my situation and told me he is going to forward my issue to the “Concern Department” for manual removing (because my appeal was also denied) I notice today that the Non resolution strike has been removed from my account, so anyone having the same issue as me I suggest to call eBay, if they didn’t agree to remove it, wait 1 or 2 days and give it another try, eBay manage to remove this on the third call

Cliffton

See......throughout this thread we were told by an ebay employee that sellers who fell into this test would have their record cleaned of this defect. Now we see that you had to call 3 times and still the defect was not automatically removed as we were told, but in fact was left there. Exactly as I suspected. In other words, all other sellers affected will not be relieved of this defect unless they call and call and call and get lucky enough to have it removed by someone competent, which is apparently about one out of every three calls. 

Between this thread, the "unwritten policy" we were just informed of by an eBay blue on the 50 year old audio tube thread, and what happened to the OP in the "Now I understand why sellers say" thread it's pretty clear that sellers are pretty much viewed as an exhaustible- then- replaceable revenue stream for eBay to mercilessly exploit however possible/ necessary... no more, no less.

I think that it is so much worse than that. 

That ebay has the site set up, through written and hidden policies, that the buyer will be made 'happy' no matter what the complaint, no matter how many times, no matter how blatant, and that ebay will see to it that it will be the seller that pays for it.

That ebay has become so desperate for sales that they will do anything to make sure that any buyer will continue to buy on ebay.

As I see it, the only seller protection now is tracking on INR, and every other complaint will result costing the seller the item,  money or both.  That the pages and pages of policies are only guidelines that ebay has decided not to follow.

(*Bleep*)
Message 691 of 714
latest reply

If they're all about "keeping the buyer happy" they're not doing a very good job of it with this new IPR on everything whether you (as a seller) want it there or not.

I have a potential multi item buyer right now who is absolutely LIVID with them.

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 692 of 714
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@gramophone-georg wrote:

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@c.muscat wrote:

OK, I called eBay ones again last Monday about the non-resolution case and the representative understand my situation and told me he is going to forward my issue to the “Concern Department” for manual removing (because my appeal was also denied) I notice today that the Non resolution strike has been removed from my account, so anyone having the same issue as me I suggest to call eBay, if they didn’t agree to remove it, wait 1 or 2 days and give it another try, eBay manage to remove this on the third call

Cliffton

See......throughout this thread we were told by an ebay employee that sellers who fell into this test would have their record cleaned of this defect. Now we see that you had to call 3 times and still the defect was not automatically removed as we were told, but in fact was left there. Exactly as I suspected. In other words, all other sellers affected will not be relieved of this defect unless they call and call and call and get lucky enough to have it removed by someone competent, which is apparently about one out of every three calls. 

Between this thread, the "unwritten policy" we were just informed of by an eBay blue on the 50 year old audio tube thread, and what happened to the OP in the "Now I understand why sellers say" thread it's pretty clear that sellers are pretty much viewed as an exhaustible- then- replaceable revenue stream for eBay to mercilessly exploit however possible/ necessary... no more, no less.

I think that it is so much worse than that. 

That ebay has the site set up, through written and hidden policies, that the buyer will be made 'happy' no matter what the complaint, no matter how many times, no matter how blatant, and that ebay will see to it that it will be the seller that pays for it.

That ebay has become so desperate for sales that they will do anything to make sure that any buyer will continue to buy on ebay.

As I see it, the only seller protection now is tracking on INR, and every other complaint will result costing the seller the item,  money or both.  That the pages and pages of policies are only guidelines that ebay has decided not to follow.

I think it's just a payroll and expense reduction thing. They keep shifting the costs of their meddling directly to the sellers. All that matters is that eBay doesn't have to pay for it and can make fees on it. Any other party being a beneficiary is an unintended consequence.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 693 of 714
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
If they're all about "keeping the buyer happy" they're not doing a very good job of it with this new IPR on everything whether you (as a seller) want it there or not.

I have a potential multi item buyer right now who is absolutely LIVID with them.

But ebay has the sales on the books, the fvfs in their pockets and the ship gouge on each individual sale.  ebay has never thought long term in anything, just what can get them the most lining in their pockets.

I should have posted that keeping buy-uh-scammers happy because scammers buy a lot more than honest buyers do.

(*Bleep*)
Message 694 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If a seller ships a item to a address a buyer has provided to them through ebay messages what exactly is ebay going to protect the seller from?

This would be considered a valid address to ship to. If an item not received case were opened by the buyer and you have delivery confirmation to the address the buyer provided, then we would be able to close the case in your favor.

Message 695 of 714
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@c.muscat wrote:

Cliffton

I want to clarify that this was removed automatically as you were a part of the test and that a phone call would not be needed. Of course, anyone is welcome to contact customer service any time they feel it is needed, I just wanted to clarify that any defects related to this test would be removed without the need for a phone call.

Message 696 of 714
latest reply

@retrose1 wrote:

@ymeagainlord wrote:

But ebay has the sales on the books, the fvfs in their pockets and the ship gouge on each individual sale.  ebay has never thought long term in anything, just what can get them the most lining in their pockets.

I should have posted that keeping buy-uh-scammers happy because scammers buy a lot more than honest buyers do.

Ebay would have the same thing without forced IPR.  As you know, Ebay collects it fees at the moment of the sale, not after payment, well expect for the S&H FVF.  That happens at time of payment.

As many sellers have said, IPR with NOT decrease UPIs by any significant amount.  But it will decrease sales for many sellers.  Those sellers that typically will sell multiple items to one buyer could be significantly hurt by this action.  

There are a few of ways how this damages sales.  

1. Buyers get frustrated if the shopping cart is not functioning correctly.  

2. The buyer doesn't like IPR and they don't want to or know how to use the shopping cart.  The get frustrated and just move on without asking the seller for help.  

3. It could potentially increase PPs fees.  Some buyers will then just pay for things one by one.  So if they purchase 10 items from a seller, PP gets that 30 cent fee on all them payment transaction.  This is where it can be profitable for Ebay as well.  The FVF on S&H is not calculated and charged until the buyer tenders payment.  The seller then has a mess on their hands to fix.  Their buyer would be significantly over charged on S&H since the 10 purchases were made one by one.  As a seller I'd review the payments and then go back and refund to the buyer what I define as the S&H overpayment due to the multiple payments.  While PP will credit back the PP percentage fee that was originally charge, they retain the 30 cent transaction fee.  And Ebay does NOT refund any fees when a seller refunds a buyer for overpayment of S&H.  You have to call Ebay to get that and sometimes they will and sometimes they won't, depending on the CSR you get.

I know you are aware of this!

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 697 of 714
latest reply

How long does it take for an item to reach Japan?  It probably is a case of them not understanding how to use EBAY properly.  That's really odd story. How much did you have to pay for shipping? 

Thanks for sharing your story.   I would contact Ebay. 

Message 698 of 714
latest reply

Yeah maybe EBAY should give a tutorial or some sort of classes online to ensure the new buyers understand properly how to use Ebay before they can set up an account.
Message 699 of 714
latest reply

"Removed automatically" took over two weeks?

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 700 of 714
latest reply

So basically what we've learned from this post is to do the following:

1. Never sell anything for 99cents
2. Always, Always use tracking and if tracking costs too much then don't sell the item because there are some professionals out there who are just waiting to jump through a hoop where there is a LOOP Hole and cause stress. So sell items at a price where you can make a profit, pay for proper shipping with tracking.
3. Keep it Simple!
4. NInety NIne cents has turned into 99 problems and look how much time we're all spending on it. NOT worth it.

Thanks for sharing. GREAT story by the way! I hope that it gets resolved and I hope you can chalk it off as experience.
Message 701 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@bubbleman2010 wrote:

If a seller ships a item to a address a buyer has provided to them through ebay messages what exactly is ebay going to protect the seller from?

This would be considered a valid address to ship to. If an item not received case were opened by the buyer and you have delivery confirmation to the address the buyer provided, then we would be able to close the case in your favor.

And how many calls to CS will THAT take?

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 702 of 714
latest reply

Then when the buyer opens a INR claim in paypal which has a different address and seller loses that dispute will ebay refund the seller for their loss?
Message 703 of 714
latest reply

@Anonymous I waited 15 days to have the defect "removed automatically" from 25 June till 10 July, however the defect was still there by 10 July and that is why i called eBay again, I don’t think the defect was removed automatically, because the defect was removed on 13 July, after I called eBay again, exactly 18 days later.

and to answer the question above only the defect was removed, eBay did not pay me back,

Cliffton

Message 704 of 714
latest reply

Did you really think it would be removed automatically?

Message 705 of 714
latest reply