cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer is requesting that I include a $200 gift card with his order despite not being listed.

I am selling a headset on eBay, and the buyer requested that I purchase a gift card alongside it to send to his cousin. He claims that he will pay $230 extra to make up for it, but I’m hesitant to go through with it.

The buyer has also asked for my email address, and I foolishly gave it to him even though we could have easily communicate through eBay messages. His email also suggests he’s using a different name than the one being used for his email account.

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Buyer is requesting that I include a $200 gift card with his order despite not being listed.

No.  Don't do it!  That is not part of the deal, and you will lose both the item and a gift card.

KrazzyKats
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

Re: Buyer is requesting that I include a $200 gift card with his order despite not being listed.

You are dealing with a thief.  Cancel the sale as problem with buyers address.

KrazzyKats

Message 3 of 13
latest reply

Before canceling the sale, check the ID of the buyer as compared to the ID of the person who asked for the gift card. I'm guessing that they aren't the same person but if they are, do cancel. If they're 2 different IDs, wait for ebay (through the order) to notify you that the payment was made and that it's okay to ship. 

albertabrightalberta

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Never let a buyer direct you off eBay.  Stay within eBay's rules, and never add gift cards to a deal.

KrazzyKats

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Thief. 

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

These buyers always look for those sellers with little feedback and little sales. This is a hard no.

And don't be surprise if it happens again with someone else in your future selling.

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

They want your email so they can send you a fake PayPal receipt telling you the buyer sent you $ and to collect  it to provide proof you purchased the gift card and tracking showing you mailed it. This is a very common scam. 

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

Its a scam.  Block and report the buyer.

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

@gerchi-52 

This is a common scam.  Never agree to communicate off site.  There will be no money, just a phony email (provided you furnished it to the crook) saying you have been paid. 

If these message came through eBay (asking for offsite contact) you can report it and block the sender directly on the message once again.  It can be found under the "Action" tab on any eBay message. 

Fortunately, this scam is easy to spot along with the 'change of address' scammers that pop up after your item sells.  Most often they are not even from the buyer ID that paid or won your auction.   Read here, educate yourself so at least you won't be a victim for these.  Newbie sellers are scam magnets.  Used to be the scammers would only typically target sellers with high end/easily disposable merchandise.  Now they are not so fussy.  After all, they are after those "gift cards".  

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

@gerchi-52 

Two words....No  and SCAM.

Message 12 of 13
latest reply

The buyer has no right to request any such thing and it is absolutely someone that is working on SCAMMING you.  I'm glad you came here first so we could help you.

JUST SAY NO!!!

It is a 100% GUARANTEED Fraud. There is NO reason for them to do this. Not a legit reason anyway. I can guarantee you that they are trying to steal your money or your product or maybe both.

NEVER take ANY part of an Ebay transaction Off Ebay. Not only is it a serious breach of the Ebay rules and can lead to you losing the privilege of selling on the site, but the ONLY reason a buyer would want to do this is to STEAL from you. There is NO upside to this for you at all.

Your response to them should just be a simple one.

All communication and payments will be handled on the Ebay site only. There is no legitimate reason to do otherwise.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 13 of 13
latest reply