cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer filed "Item not as described" Dispute with their bank, when they confirmed it was brand new

I recently sold a PS5 and had a claim come through where the buyer expressed the item was faulty and not working. I expressed the item was brand new and sealed, which the buyer even admitted that it was unopened and sealed on arrival. They still say it's my issue and not the manufacturers even though I've advised them to go to Sony directly and use the warranty for a new one. I'm just worried that the bank will rule in their favour and that I'm gonna lose both the money and the PS5. This happened to anyone before?

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Buyer filed "Item not as described" Dispute with their bank, when they confirmed it wa

You are the second person in two days to report issues with the sale of a PS5 although you are in the UK and the other seller was in the US. It is likely that the bank is going to rule in the buyers favor, which is what I believe happened to the other seller. 

Your first mistake was probably listing the PS5 on eBay. It is a high target item for scammers and was/is a high demand item. There are/were probably better options for selling this than eBay although I am not familiar with the UK ecommerce sites. If the buyer was/is located in the UK you could try reaching out to them and work to recover the item. If they refuse contact and the bank rules in their favor and you cannot recover the item check with the local authorities on what options you have from a legal perspective since at that point it is basically stolen merchandise. 

If you are able to recover the PS5 you could work with Sony or wherever you acquired the item to try to get it fixed or replaced. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 3 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer filed "Item not as described" Dispute with their bank, when they confirmed it wa

It's happened to many and I have yet to see a seller win. In the future, if the request is made for a return, accepting it can help you avoid a Chargeback.

"Those who enter the arena unarmed or unprepared are quickly dispatched."
Message 2 of 24
latest reply

You are the second person in two days to report issues with the sale of a PS5 although you are in the UK and the other seller was in the US. It is likely that the bank is going to rule in the buyers favor, which is what I believe happened to the other seller. 

Your first mistake was probably listing the PS5 on eBay. It is a high target item for scammers and was/is a high demand item. There are/were probably better options for selling this than eBay although I am not familiar with the UK ecommerce sites. If the buyer was/is located in the UK you could try reaching out to them and work to recover the item. If they refuse contact and the bank rules in their favor and you cannot recover the item check with the local authorities on what options you have from a legal perspective since at that point it is basically stolen merchandise. 

If you are able to recover the PS5 you could work with Sony or wherever you acquired the item to try to get it fixed or replaced. 

Message 3 of 24
latest reply

The biggest problem is that some sellers are purchasing at a pre sale price, then listing at a very inflated prices because the PS5 is sold out in registered retail outlets (usually due to the pre-sales).

These sellers also have no legal right to offer any warranty as they are not a registered re-seller for Sony and Sony tend to frown on this behaviour.

A lot of PS5 sellers are being burned this way, perhaps because the buyer realises later how much more they paid and get snarky about it and these sellers are making it bad for all sellers

I am not condoning it, sellers have every right to list for any amount they want, but integrity goes both ways.

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 4 of 24
latest reply

Hi, Thanks for your response

Even if they've confirmed to me that the Item was brand new and sealed when ti arrived, and i've uploaded this as evidence then am I still likely to be held liable?

Message 5 of 24
latest reply

More than likely. Things tend not to go in the sellers favor in cases like this. Most often eBay, CC companies and/or banks almost always side with the buyer. 

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

super

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

really

Message 8 of 24
latest reply

1.  You need to accept the return - eBays requires that the item sold is fully functional/operational at the time of arrival at the buyers. 

2.  Do not get into  a hassle with the buyer as eBay will refund the buyer on your behalf and not require them to  return the item.  Just state "return for refund"

3.  There is a very good chance that Sony will not honor the  factory warranty as it was not sold by an authorized dealer/distributor  (you) of the product.

"I have the right to remain silent but I didn't have the ability." Ron White, Fritch, Texas
"Stay away from negative people, they have a problem for every solution." A. Einstein
The Devil made me do it! - Flip Wilson
If the band can only play loud - they ain't no good - peps too J.R. Johnson
Message 9 of 24
latest reply

Agreed and you hope and pray you get back the same thing you shipped and in the same condition. Items like this are a favorite target for scammers and what you get back is an empty box or a piece of trash/junk and the buyer still gets their money back and still has your item. 

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

Guessing I'll have to go to local authorities or Action Fraud to try and retrieve the item. 

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

This is the US site and some of our rules are different than on int'l sites

U R in the UK so click here>

http://www.ebay.co.uk/

OR

UK community click here>

https://community.ebay.co.uk/t5/Discussion-Boards/ct-p/13

Message 12 of 24
latest reply

Just another big mess ebay helped create. 

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@cameroflemin_1 wrote:

I recently sold a PS5 and had a claim come through where the buyer expressed the item was faulty and not working. I expressed the item was brand new and sealed, which the buyer even admitted that it was unopened and sealed on arrival. They still say it's my issue and not the manufacturers even though I've advised them to go to Sony directly and use the warranty for a new one. I'm just worried that the bank will rule in their favour and that I'm gonna lose both the money and the PS5. This happened to anyone before?

I purchased some DVD's that were sealed in plastic but package didn't sound right....busted

So even new sealed in plastic items can be broke.

How did you package this item?

Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@cameroflemin_1 wrote:

Hi, Thanks for your response

Even if they've confirmed to me that the Item was brand new and sealed when ti arrived, and i've uploaded this as evidence then am I still likely to be held liable?

Yes, regardless that it was new, you will be held liable for selling a non-working unit. Ebay considers this to be the seller’s responsibility. The warranty is void when the item resells.

Even tho you sold a sealed item, things can happen in transit. You made an error in handling this. In the future, accept the refund, get the item back, then refund it, then you seek to be made whole by dealing with Sony or the store you bought it from.

Your buyer was right that this was your issue. 

Message 15 of 24
latest reply