cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item smells bad

I recently sold a nice blouse and the buyer messaged me to say that it had a bad smell when she received it. I asked for a description of the smell and she said it smelled musty and stale. I was confused by this as the item did not smell musty or stale when it was in my home. She said she had to have it professionally laundered to remove the smell. I went ahead and offered a partial refund of about 30% of the sold price as a courtesy and I guess that wasn’t good enough, because she has now informed me that she’s going to message eBay. What should I expect now? Is eBay going to take her side? I’ve heard a lot that eBay always takes the buyer’s side. 

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Buyer claims item smells bad

However with all the recent changes over the last few months, ebay has not been closing snads in the sellers favor at all.

That's what I thought.  I still believe eBay should relabel the seller option:

"Ask eBay to step in"

to

"Ask eBay to give buyer a full refund plus return shipping out of my pocket, then ding me for an Unresolved Case."

Message 31 of 61
latest reply

Robo - I'm sure you mean well but some of the advice you've been giving is not correct. Yes in the past - neither smell or color perception was considered a legitimate reason for an SNAD case and was classified as buyer's remorse and a case could easily be closed in the seller's favor if we had messages proving that was the reason the buyer wanted to return.

Since April of this year - CS has been told not to become involved with the false SNAD cpntroversy. Ebay wants a buyer to be able to return for any reason - whether it is fraudulent or not. What Ebay will then do if you have proof in messages that the SNAD was under false pretenses - they will refund the seller's cost of the return label.

I wish it was the old way where we could fight SNADs - but it's not that way today.

Message 32 of 61
latest reply

@sethandlorismama  Actually, depending on what you packaged it in it very easily could have picked up some odors along the shipping route, sat in a hot tractor trailor for 10 hours or more, one that had a bad smell, not sure what the material blend was but yes, its possible.

Now to be honest, I suspect the Buyer knows how to work the system ...

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 33 of 61
latest reply

@n2knowledge wrote:

Smells are subjective.  My sister lives in humid Texas - I can smell musty things from her house (fabric, paper goods etc.)- and she can't smell it - because she lives in it.  So yes, mold /must is stronger for people that might live in dryer areas.  As far as professional cleaning - I could not get musty odors out with baking soda, vingear and bleach even - the fabric I once bought I had to toss out - so if she got the item cleaned and it still smelled mold and musty - she probably does not want it.  I don't think washing a piece of clothes counts as not as original - unless it was new with tags and the tags were removed and it was then washed.  Return for full refund is the best bet - unfortunately with Ebay's BUYER protection - the Buyer will get their money back for item NOT as DESCRIBED - it's not a pleasant thing for sellers - but it happens.

It is true if the seller states item is from a smoke free and free Home , The buyer will win  a Snad  dispute over smell bad  complaint .  However  Ebay  has stated  recently if seller does not " Say from Smoke and Pet Free Home "  Buyer will not Win SNAD  or  the MBG  .   

Message 34 of 61
latest reply

I do think dry cleaning is altering the item. There are bad dry cleaners that mess up items and there are items that are not supposed to be dry cleaned, and there are people who use dryel for home dryers and that too may destroy the item. 

You have to have a thick skin to sell on ebay or these buyers are going to eat you alive and you will be paying them for the pleasure of doing so. Stop handing out partial refunds unless you the seller makes a provable error in listing description. 

Message 35 of 61
latest reply

Just another buyer thats been to the trough to many times and has to use the I'm going to contact ebay angle. Times is tough trying to strong arm someone out of 13 bucks....

Message 36 of 61
latest reply

I've come to despise selling anything under $50 bubbleman, that's where most of the nit picking goes on. Wouldn't give a discount not too long ago just for the asking and of course she found a couple ways to punish me for that, but in the end I still have her money and my selling price. 

Message 37 of 61
latest reply

I love the hugemanatee drama only to get disappointed to find out its all over 5 bucks,but ebays the all new dollar store of the internut.

Message 38 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sethandlorismama wrote:

I recently sold a nice blouse and the buyer messaged me to say that it had a bad smell when she received it. I asked for a description of the smell and she said it smelled musty and stale. I was confused by this as the item did not smell musty or stale when it was in my home. She said she had to have it professionally laundered to remove the smell. I went ahead and offered a partial refund of about 30% of the sold price as a courtesy and I guess that wasn’t good enough, because she has now informed me that she’s going to message eBay. What should I expect now? Is eBay going to take her side? I’ve heard a lot that eBay always takes the buyer’s side. 

What to expect depends on the buyer. You've already made an offer - if she doesn't like it she can go ahead and contact eBay. They'll tell her to open a not as described case at which point you would pay for return shipping and refund after you receive the item back. If the item has no smell you can report the buyer for abuse of the MBG and ask eBay to credit the return shipping cost.

If the buyer's bluffing and trying to stay off eBay's radar or wants to keep the item she'll eventually go away - or if she's really determined she'll file a claim with her Credit Card company if that's how she paid.

Dear Buyer,

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your purchase and with the courtesy I extended. You are welcome to return the item for a refund.

Sincerely,

Seller

Don't get into a back and forth with her.

Message 39 of 61
latest reply

Just think if the buyers could smell the items in the wild what a gasket they'd pop. The smell of stale beer, cigarettes,cheap perfume and human waste in the wild is the smell of victory.... A estate item is from a dumpster and a elegant estate item is from a dumpster with a lid...

Message 40 of 61
latest reply

Thanks for all the great answers. The buyer just sent a message to me saying she would like me to refund at least half the price. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. What should I say to her now?

Message 41 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sethandlorismama wrote:

Thanks for all the great answers. The buyer just sent a message to me saying she would like me to refund at least half the price. I actually laughed out loud when I read that. What should I say to her now?

Dear Buyer,

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your purchase and with the courtesy I extended. If the amount does not work for you please return the item for a refund.

Sincerely,

Seller

Don't get into a back and forth with her.

Message 42 of 61
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I've come to despise selling anything under $50 bubbleman, that's where most of the nit picking goes on. Wouldn't give a discount not too long ago just for the asking and of course she found a couple ways to punish me for that, but in the end I still have her money and my selling price. 

Almost everything I sell is under $50.  Most things are under $30.  I have never had a buyer nitpick anything.

Message 43 of 61
latest reply

@tunicaslot wrote:

Robo - I'm sure you mean well but some of the advice you've been giving is not correct.

If ebay won't follow their own written policies that's ebay not me, I can only give advice based on my actual experience.

...and that is better than some posters here giving advice with literally no experience

Message 44 of 61
latest reply

As many have said, the proper answer to a buyer like this is to please return it for a refund. You should only state that you are sorry that they are disappointed with the item. Do not agree that it smelled or agree to any issues the buyer had with it. Do not give a partial. Never do this. Unfortunately, buyers have learned that if they complain, they can get money back from some sellers even if they are lying. In addition, please note I saw a mail carrier smoking in their truck the other day, so it is possible it was mishandled along the way and got a funny odor from transport. If you look at the feedback left by the buyer or received by the buyer, there may also be a pattern in vague statements about working things out, etc. If you see that kind of language, you might have eBay look into it as well.

Message 45 of 61
latest reply