cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer claims item smells bad

I recently sold a nice blouse and the buyer messaged me to say that it had a bad smell when she received it. I asked for a description of the smell and she said it smelled musty and stale. I was confused by this as the item did not smell musty or stale when it was in my home. She said she had to have it professionally laundered to remove the smell. I went ahead and offered a partial refund of about 30% of the sold price as a courtesy and I guess that wasn’t good enough, because she has now informed me that she’s going to message eBay. What should I expect now? Is eBay going to take her side? I’ve heard a lot that eBay always takes the buyer’s side. 

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Buyer claims item smells bad

Just tell her to return for refund - Ebay no longer gets involved in these disputes. 

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

You shouldn't have done that.

Smells aren't part of the MBG and now that they have had it dry cleaned they can't return it.

You're in the clear here.

Message 17 of 61
latest reply

I would have stated sorry you are unhappy with your purchase, open a claim through ebay and return it. 

Never would I have given money back. Buyers have learned that sellers will cave in and give money back or some even refund entirely feeding the beast of "free stuff on ebay!" Now you have done it too with this partial refund. Stop any behavior that makes buyers predatory and sellers prey. 

Message 18 of 61
latest reply

smells and stains can ghost back when shipped in the heat and in enclosed packages. 

Return for refund.

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

Return for refund and continue repeating this.

This quest stands on the edge of a blade...stray but a little and you shall fail to the ruin of us all.
"The Lady Galadriel"
Message 20 of 61
latest reply

first ...RETURN FOR REFUND

if she had it cleaned , she actually hurt her chance to return it ..because it's been cleaned... she violated the ebay rule.... BUT yes..with that... still you can say..RETURN FOR REFUND.

second, do not offer anything , this may simple be a way for her to get a discount... no one can prove she did or didn't have it cleaned...and even if there was a smell.... no receipt is going to prove THAT was the item actuaslly cleaned.

SO, if she wants to fight it out...you stand tall showing that she violated the rule and had it cleaned WITHOUT YOU giving any approval.... 

BUT with all that said... how much is it all worth?  if you want to resell it, then see #1.... but  you say oh sorry to hear this news... point out that the cleaning was without your approval and ebay frowns on that happing, but she can return for refund, or you will pay for the cleaning,  have her decide...let her make the move....she'll either return it, or ask for what she wants....

there is nothing you really can do to be sure she won't leave neg feedback anyways...and who cares...she will or won't....

lots of these kinds of issues..yes could be, but seem to smell of a wanting of a partial refund anyways....

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

I agree with the pack here. Return for refund. Partial refund requests are a fishing expedition for the most part, don't let the buyer catch a fish. I'm skeptical that the professional laundering even happened.  Negotiating the refund (30% isn't enough yada yada) is a sticky wicket and also a tell. The "calling ebay" part is pressure too, why not just open a return request? Ebay makes it easier than buying something at this point.

A tip for getting smells out of clothing is put it out in the sun for a few hours or even a few days - air it out. Drape it over a bush with morning dew and let it dry out on the bush. Learned that trick on a trip to Ireland, they do it to Irish linens to freshen and brighten. I have sold old fabric, garments, and Victorian linens that I thought were too musty that way. It takes a while, you can't rush it. Synthetic fabrics are often made with plastic and may not revive if the components have "turned". Agree that people have different smell tolerance in different areas. My BIL thinks the entire city of New Orleans smells musty, whatever.

@n2knowledge wrote:

Smells are subjective.  My sister lives in humid Texas - I can smell musty things from her house (fabric, paper goods etc.)- and she can't smell it - because she lives in it.  So yes, mold /must is stronger for people that might live in dryer areas.  As far as professional cleaning - I could not get musty odors out with baking soda, vingear and bleach even - the fabric I once bought I had to toss out - so if she got the item cleaned and it still smelled mold and musty - she probably does not want it.  I don't think washing a piece of clothes counts as not as original - unless it was new with tags and the tags were removed and it was then washed.  Return for full refund is the best bet - unfortunately with Ebay's BUYER protection - the Buyer will get their money back for item NOT as DESCRIBED - it's not a pleasant thing for sellers - but it happens.

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

@sethandlorismama wrote:

I recently sold a nice blouse and the buyer messaged me to say that it had a bad smell when she received it. I asked for a description of the smell and she said it smelled musty and stale. I was confused by this as the item did not smell musty or stale when it was in my home. She said she had to have it professionally laundered to remove the smell. I went ahead and offered a partial refund of about 30% of the sold price as a courtesy and I guess that wasn’t good enough, because she has now informed me that she’s going to message eBay. What should I expect now? Is eBay going to take her side? I’ve heard a lot that eBay always takes the buyer’s side. 

Just curious....how does your buyer`s feedback look? Also check  her"feedback left for others".  I prefer to give the buyer the benefit of the doubt but you have nothing to lose by checking out your buyer`s feedback. If I was a gambling man, I`d bet a weeks worth of ebay sales that she`s done this to several sellers, which is why she hasn`t filed for a return.

If what you say is true(and I have no reason to doubt you) my gut says she`s fishing for an after sale discount and wants to see if you`ll bite. I wouldn`t take the bait. My reply would be...I`m sorry you aren`t happy with the item. Please return it for a refund.

"There`s always barber college" - Dalton - Road House
Message 23 of 61
latest reply

First, I don't necessarily agree that eBay deny any claim because the buyer said they had it dry cleaned and thusly "altered" the item.

Unless this blouse was never worn, it had been laundered some time in the past.

And proper laundering is expected on such clothing.

Therefore, I don't see this as a home run for it being "altered".

Second,

I'd block this buyer, then follow others advice here of:

No more communication initiated by the seller.

If messaged again, only state Return for Full Refund.

Lynn

Lynn

You love me for everything you hate me for

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

Just in case anyone cares, the laying of damp fabrics outside for chlorophyll bleaching is called crofting. It is a natural way to brighten whites and lighten stains.

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

@sethandlorismama wrote:

The buyer altered the item, she admitted she had it cleaned.   This buyer is simply asking for a reduced price on the item post purchase.   Any buyer who tells you up-front they have cleaned/altered the condition of the item should be unable to return the item.    You should have never refunded her 30%.    Keep your eBay message(s) and should this buyer open a return, contact eBay and demanded they close the return based on the fact the buyer admitted to altering the item "She said she had to have it professionally laundered to remove the smell." 

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

@sethandlorismama wrote:

I offered the partial refund because when I first asked what she would like me to do she said reduce the price. So that’s what I did, I offered to refund part of the money. That’s when she responded and said she was going to message eBay. I have only offered, I have not sent any refund.

You buyer is seeking a post-purchase discount.   She was unhappy with the original price and now that she has the product in her possession, she is trying to get a discount.     

Here is what I would do:

Get her to send you the name and place that she had the item professionally cleaned along with the date.  (therefore proving she has already altered the product.)  Simply say, "I am willing to work with you, however, I need the name, address, phone number of the entity that you had the cleaning service rendered,  also how much did it cost.  Once you get this information, wait  to see if this buyer opens a case with eBay and should this buyer open a case, copy and paste the buyer's message of the cleaning into the return case and demand eBay close the case in your favor.   

PS:   In the meantime:  Block this buyer.  

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

Once you get this information, wait  to see if this buyer opens a case with eBay and should this buyer open a case, copy and paste the buyer's message of the cleaning into the return case and demand eBay close the case in your favor. 

Has anyone had an SNAD case closed in their favor in the last 6 months because the buyer washed or otherwise altered the item?

The current Condition of Returned Items Policy wording seems to say the only remedy for receiving an altered item is to deduct a portion of the refund (which is not available on most items).  And it seems many sellers (including some with a significant history of fighting returns) have come to the boards saying Customer Service tells them to accept the return, then appeal and report the buyer.

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

@18704d wrote:

First, I don't necessarily agree that eBay deny any claim because the buyer said they had it dry cleaned and thusly "altered" the item.

Unless this blouse was never worn, it had been laundered some time in the past.

And proper laundering is expected on such clothing.

Therefore, I don't see this as a home run for it being "altered".

Second,

I'd block this buyer, then follow others advice here of:

No more communication initiated by the seller.

If messaged again, only state Return for Full Refund.

Lynn

If the buyer admits to cleaning the item, ebay has routinely closed the case in the sellers favor because cleaning is considered altering the item. However with all the recent changes over the last few months, ebay has not been closing snads in the sellers favor at all. They've been granting all returns and telling the seller to file an appeal in order to get the return shipping cost back.

That said, the OP needs to just accept the return. She's already offered the buyer a refund so ebay is not going to enforce the item condition clause.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 29 of 61
latest reply

@sethandlorismama wrote:

I offered the partial refund because when I first asked what she would like me to do she said reduce the price. So that’s what I did, I offered to refund part of the money. That’s when she responded and said she was going to message eBay. I have only offered, I have not sent any refund.

Just for clarity here - the OP said in reply #9 above that she offered a refund, not sent a refund. She can still message the buyer to please return for refund and ignore everything else.   

Message 30 of 61
latest reply