cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abuse must stop

Sold a backpack 3 weeks ago. Two days ago buyer contacts me telling me that she want to return it because she realized the material is toxic to her daughter.  

She sends me a picture that shows backpack with a huge rip on the front (rip was not there when I sold it to her)

I asked her how the rip occured 

She replies she has no idea but saw it after daughter arrived from school with backpack 

I told her: if you were worried about the backpack being toxic why you let your daughter use it in the first place? 

It is crystal clear that daughter used backpack, ripped it and now mom wants to return it on the basis of alleged toxicity. Return fraud

give me a break

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Buyer abuse must stop

@livadiawrote:

@couldabeenworsewrote:

Sorry couldabeenworse, but eBay reps will NO LONGER close a case in the seller's favor as a result of a phone call. 

Thanks for that heads up.  Can you point me to a board conversation where that was discussed regarding SNAD cases?  Are CS agents actually blocked from closing cases, or is this just another one of those rules they're supposed to follow?

@couldabeenworse

I don't have time to do an extensive search of the forums, but it has been mentioned/explained/noted/affirmed many times by Trinton who works for eBay and drops in occasionally on the forums to clarify issues.

But, here's one such thread for your info: https://community.ebay.com/t5/PowerSeller-Business/Remorse-Return-Insanity/m-p/27635812

It's a fairly recent change, but I can attest to the fact it is true via first-hand knowledge/experience gained when having to deal with Return Requests/SNAD cases of my own lately.

HTH

When I clicked your link, it gave an 'access denied' error message.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 16 of 43
latest reply

I personally would call ebay and ask if this case could be closed due to the buyer altering the item. I has an issue a while back and when I called for help, the rep told me that the item was altered from its original condition and therefore not returnable. They closed teh case for me. I would be very specific calling if going that router, ensuring they know the backpack is altered and not in the same condition.

"When you're sending the item back, repack it carefully, and remember it has to be in the same condition as when you received it. This means it can't be used or altered in any way, and you'll need to include any additional items or paperwork that came with it, such as:

• All original packaging such as boxes, bags, tags, and UPCs
  • Accessories such as cords and remote controls
  • Certificates, manuals, warranty, and rebate cards
  • "Free gifts" or bonus items
  • All items included in a bundle"
Message 17 of 43
latest reply

@*coinswrote:

@livadiawrote:

@couldabeenworsewrote:

Sorry couldabeenworse, but eBay reps will NO LONGER close a case in the seller's favor as a result of a phone call. 

Thanks for that heads up.  Can you point me to a board conversation where that was discussed regarding SNAD cases?  Are CS agents actually blocked from closing cases, or is this just another one of those rules they're supposed to follow?

@couldabeenworse

I don't have time to do an extensive search of the forums, but it has been mentioned/explained/noted/affirmed many times by Trinton who works for eBay and drops in occasionally on the forums to clarify issues.

But, here's one such thread for your info: https://community.ebay.com/t5/PowerSeller-Business/Remorse-Return-Insanity/m-p/27635812

It's a fairly recent change, but I can attest to the fact it is true via first-hand knowledge/experience gained when having to deal with Return Requests/SNAD cases of my own lately.

HTH

When I clicked your link, it gave an 'access denied' error message.

@*coins  Sorry about that.  It was a post from the Power Seller Forums and I forgot that if you're not a PS you can't access those posts.   Thread was quite lengthy and Trinton weighed in several times, but the two passages below  probably deal best with the question that's been asked:

"... The three day timeframe is not solely for something to change, simply the standard timeframe you must wait before asking eBay to step in.

A seller can no longer ask eBay to step in early. I have heard your frustration on this topic and will pass along the feedback. When we are asked to step in by either party, we review the information within the request to make a decision. The buyer or seller asking us to help would not change the decision, as it is based on the details we see in our review.

For a number of years, the 3 full business day timeframe was not something that could be skipped by a seller. We made changes to allow for exceptions, but ultimately found this to be harmful to our Community overall. While I am not able to provide examples to you of how this created a negative impact, I assure you that once eBay is asked to step in our process for review remains the same..."

"...I just wanted to touch on a point you made regarding automatic case closures (ie. the "bots" you referenced). While we do have certain case decisions made automatically such as when tracking confirms delivery for an INR or when a buyer has requested a return within the seller's return policy and the seller has not responded to the case, the majority of cases are reviewed by an individual to make a decision. Our automated case decisions are only for select situations and are not designed to close for the buyer auotmatically. Additionally, when a seller escalates a case to eBay for review, an agent will look at the escalation reason to make a decision. This would be the best course of action when a buyer opens a SNAD return but has clearly described remorse in the messaging. A call to customer service is always an option, certainly, but is not necessary in most instances."

HTH

Message 18 of 43
latest reply

Just say no.  Note all you told us in the dispute and that the item was damaged DURING USE so too bad.

Message 19 of 43
latest reply

but buyer opened an Item not as decribed return and want to me to pay for return shipping

BTW I sold the backpack to her for  $12.88 

I dont want to eat the return shipping and receive a damaged backpack that I can not resell

Sorry to hear that BUT with ebay return policy she gets refund anyway, and you pay for shipping back... If she claimed INR - she's got rights as buyer, you have nothing as seller; she can make up any reason - toxic, wrong color, damaged, feels cheap whatever. Accept the return, block her and move on - this xxxx not worth your fight

...she's rented your backpack for free, thanks to ebay. that's why small sellers leave

PS No return policy not a good idea

Message 20 of 43
latest reply

@knotaroundyourneckwrote:

It's not really buyer abuse on eBay. It's basically the way retail works, every major retailer goes through the same issues every day. Just refund it and move on, it seems like there are a bunch of crazies out there but the reality is that there are many more good buyers than bad ones. 

D

UH NO!!  This is not retail.  We are not Walmart dashing off freebies at the drop of a hat.  And at least retail would want the broken one back and most now would refuse for misuse or intentional damage.

Message 21 of 43
latest reply

claimed NAD I mean
Message 22 of 43
latest reply

@fave_lookswrote:

but buyer opened an Item not as decribed return and want to me to pay for return shipping

I dont want to eat the return shipping and receive a damaged backpack that I can not resell

Sorry to hear that BUT with ebay return policy she gets refund anyway, and you pay for shipping back... If she claimed INR - she's got rights as buyer, you have nothing as seller; she can make up any reason - toxic, wrong color, damaged, feels cheap whatever. Accept the return, block her and move on - this xxxx not worth your fight

...she's rented your backpack for free, thanks to ebay. that's why small sellers leave

Not necessarily @fave_looks.  It depends.   It is possible to win a SNAD case that's really remorse with a No Returns policy.   It can be done, especially if the buyer has messaged within eBay messaging giving reasons that make it clear the real reason for the return is Remorse.  But, it has to be done carefully and according to various timelines.  Hopefully, the OP will weigh back in to provide addl info to make it easier to advise how she should proceed.

Message 23 of 43
latest reply

I had an item that got returned after sitting in the customer's shop for 6 weeks. It left here intact, showed no damage on the box, and came back in a different box.

Why is a "no returns" policy a bad idea?  Obviously, it doesn't stop the actual abusers ...

Message 24 of 43
latest reply

@Anonymous

I urged you to take a look at this issue posted by @mathven-usa.

The item in question is sold $12.99 inclusive of Free shipping. Ended on Mar 20, 2018.

Apr 3rd (2 days ago), Seller received a fraudulent  "SNAD" request return.

The original listing of the item "Disney Frozen Elsa" girls basic backpack"  - there were at least

12 photos provided - no rips or damage shown.  Item was delivered within estimated

delivered time. Buyer ONLY filed SNAD 2 days ago claiming "realized the material is toxic to her daughter. "

While others may say to 'move on' based on the $$$ sold - not  'worth' fighting over this claim.

Just "refund" and let buyer keep the damaged item. 

Is this not a gross injustice to a seller who took the time to ensure all photos are provided clearly + description given to a listing - hopefully,  to gain a smooth transaction. Seller has a no return policy.

@mathven-usa:

1) I hope your communications are WITHIN the return request under "contact buyer". 

2) Per some posters : 

"Dear Buyer,
As you have allowed your daughter to use the backpack and it has been damaged, I cannot allow a return." @@dakot-72

"Just say no.  Note all you told us in the dispute and that the item was damaged DURING USE so too bad." @rixstuff

Imho - this is clearly a misuse of MBG - regardless of the $$$ amount involved. Although, the seller has a no return policy - that is NOT a given that a buyer can misuse the MBG (Money Back Guaranteed) program - which is what it is in this case.

-

Lucas

*still rollin' with the punches*

Sophie Forever Sidekick: Apr 2007 to Sep 05, 2017

Message 25 of 43
latest reply

Why is a "no returns" policy a bad idea? 

because, in nowadays retail, customer has the right to return merchandise anyway. If seller doesn't accept return - buyer has to make up whatever reason why it's ''not as desribed'' or ''defective''. If you accept returns, there is hope that honest buyer says ''doesn't fit'' , ''changed mind'' - and pays shipping back

...I don't mind returns at all, I do mind paying shipping twice:(

recent experience - buyer claimed new authentic trina turk dress ''doesn't seem authentic, feels (!) cheap'', so I paid both shipping to customer, and back. There are more honest people though - who would frankly said ''dress doesn't fit'', but lately sh too often

Message 26 of 43
latest reply

@livadiawrote:

@fave_lookswrote:

Not necessarily @fave_looks.  It depends.   It is possible to win a SNAD case that's really remorse with a No Returns policy.   It can be done, especially if the buyer has messaged within eBay messaging giving reasons that make it clear the real reason for the return is Remorse.  But, it has to be done carefully and according to various timelines.  Hopefully, the OP will weigh back in to provide addl info to make it easier to advise how she should proceed.

I agree that remorse is a bad reason but this ISNT remorse - it is about her kid broke it and now wants a refund for the item SHE BROKE!  Tough spit!

Message 27 of 43
latest reply

@blackhistoryreviewwrote:

I had an item that got returned after sitting in the customer's shop for 6 weeks. It left here intact, showed no damage on the box, and came back in a different box.

Why is a "no returns" policy a bad idea?  Obviously, it doesn't stop the actual abusers ...

It works for me because it keeps "renters" from buying from me in the first place.  Maybe I lose a sale but I definitely lose the aggravation. I lost big on special event dresses that I sold NWT only to get back right after the even with no tags, stained and torn.  And yes some nonsense about "it didnt fit" - yeah? Then why did you wear it to the prom?

Message 28 of 43
latest reply

Ebay MBG only covers GETTING the item from the seller.  It isnt a lifetime warranty for every little ding the item gets for the rest of your life. (And this bag aint Chanel either!)

Message 29 of 43
latest reply

Sellers should be protected, just as buyers are "always" protected.  Buyers should not be protected when they scam and lie.  The system needs changed.

Message 30 of 43
latest reply