cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer abuse must stop

Sold a backpack 3 weeks ago. Two days ago buyer contacts me telling me that she want to return it because she realized the material is toxic to her daughter.  

She sends me a picture that shows backpack with a huge rip on the front (rip was not there when I sold it to her)

I asked her how the rip occured 

She replies she has no idea but saw it after daughter arrived from school with backpack 

I told her: if you were worried about the backpack being toxic why you let your daughter use it in the first place? 

It is crystal clear that daughter used backpack, ripped it and now mom wants to return it on the basis of alleged toxicity. Return fraud

give me a break

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

Re: Buyer abuse must stop

You know that there are bad people and bad experiences in all walks of life? Not everyone is ethical. This is kind of a dog bites man story. Do you need advice on how to proceed?

Message 2 of 43
latest reply

thank you for your reply. I feel better knowing someone is listening. 

Yes, plase, let me know how to proceed

Message 3 of 43
latest reply

Did she file an NAD or just a return case? What is your return policy? If it's just a simple return and you have no return policy I would send the buyer something like this

Dear Buyer,
As you have allowed your daughter to use the backpack and it has been damaged, I cannot allow a return.
Message 4 of 43
latest reply

Item has a no returns accepted

but buyer opened an Item not as decribed return and want to me to pay for return shipping

BTW I sold the backpack to her for  $12.88 

I dont want to eat the return shipping and receive a damaged backpack that I can not resell

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

You could look and see if it would be better to just refund and tell them to throw it away.

https://bio.link/langs
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

@mathven-usa

Out of curiosity, if this buyer has filed a SNAD claim, what is the reason given for the backpack not being "Significantly Not As Described?"

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

It's possible to win your Not As Described eBay case, but you would need to phone eBay.  If you just let an eBay bot decide, you will lose, be forced to refund in full, pay return shipping and receive a defect on your selling account.  If you call eBay, your focus needs to be that the buyer has been using the item for three weeks, which she has admitted to in the messages.  Arguments regarding whether it was ripped by the buyer or if there is any such thing as a toxic backpack are probably futile, as there is no proof available.

The eBay rep can close the case in your favor while you're still on the phone.  Sometimes you have to ask for a supervisor or call back to find a more suitable rep, but your case should be winnable.  Unfortunately, the buyer can then move on to file with paypal and her credit card, so if she's stubborn about it, you may be fighting this for some time.  At least some buyers give up after losing an eBay claim, probably not wanting to be humiliated again if they keep losing.

Only you can decide whether or not it's worth your time and effort to fight.  The other option is to just refund and move on.  Since the item is now worthless, I would be tempted to refund without requiring the return if I choose this route.

Good luck....

Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

go to your sold items section for this item, click where it shows more actions. Their is an option to report buyer and take it from there. I hope this helps

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

It's possible to win your Not As Described eBay case, but you would need to phone eBay.  If you just let an eBay bot decide, you will lose, be forced to refund in full, pay return shipping and receive a defect on your selling account.  If you call eBay, your focus needs to be that the buyer has been using the item for three weeks, which she has admitted to in the messages.  Arguments regarding whether it was ripped by the buyer or if there is any such thing as a toxic backpack are probably futile, as there is no proof available.

The eBay rep can close the case in your favor while you're still on the phone.  Sometimes you have to ask for a supervisor or call back to find a more suitable rep, but your case should be winnable.  Unfortunately, the buyer can then move on to file with paypal and her credit card, so if she's stubborn about it, you may be fighting this for some time.  At least some buyers give up after losing an eBay claim, probably not wanting to be humiliated again if they keep losing.

Only you can decide whether or not it's worth your time and effort to fight.  The other option is to just refund and move on.  Since the item is now worthless, I would be tempted to refund without requiring the return if I choose this route.

Good luck....

Sorry @couldabeenworse, but eBay reps will NO LONGER close a case in the seller's favor as a result of a phone call.  This is a rather recent change that has been implemented ostensibly because the privilege was being abused.  

@mathven-usa - What has happened so far?   Has the buyer just opened a Return Request?   Please advise, as what you should do depends on what stage the problem is at.

In the meantime, if the buyer has officially done something (opened a Return Request, filed a SNAD Claim), stop communicating via eBay messaging with them.  It's never a good idea to get into a lot of back and forth communicating with a buyer.  But, if a request/complaint has been officially lodged, your communication needs to be within the Return Request and/or SNAD Case and be done according to various deadlines to increase your chances of a decision being made in your favor.

Let us know where you are at on this, so you can receive further advice.

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

They will lie .   But if not returned to you the way you sent you have a chance at winning the case.  Best regards

Message 11 of 43
latest reply

But if not returned to you the way you sent you have a chance at winning the case.  

Be aware this is not strictly true.

eBay policy is that if a case is filed within 30 days, assuming the item is returned, the buyer WILL receive a refund.  Period. 

Happened to us this week.  Item returned altered/used, Merchant Support decided in our favor because it was incredibly obvious the item was not in its original factory wrapped brand new state as it was when we shipped (case decision was no refund at all to the buyer due to the circumstance).  However, then Customer Service got hold of it, failed to read the notes made only moments before (srsly) and gave the buyer a full refund (even our restocking fee which we would have been entitled to in an honest return) then put a hold on the funds as reimbursement - because, they stated, we had said we would refund (nope) and not only didn't but we owed eBay.  Called MS back and got it sorted out, but meanwhile the buyer got a refund for sending their old item back instead of the new one we sent that supposedly "didn't fit". 

So, unless you are incredibly lucky with representatives, you the seller will lose.  That's eBay policy. 

~M

Message 12 of 43
latest reply

Sorry couldabeenworse, but eBay reps will NO LONGER close a case in the seller's favor as a result of a phone call. 

Thanks for that heads up.  Can you point me to a board conversation where that was discussed regarding SNAD cases?  Are CS agents actually blocked from closing cases, or is this just another one of those rules they're supposed to follow?

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

@couldabeenworsewrote:

Sorry couldabeenworse, but eBay reps will NO LONGER close a case in the seller's favor as a result of a phone call. 

Thanks for that heads up.  Can you point me to a board conversation where that was discussed regarding SNAD cases?  Are CS agents actually blocked from closing cases, or is this just another one of those rules they're supposed to follow?

@couldabeenworse

I don't have time to do an extensive search of the forums, but it has been mentioned/explained/noted/affirmed many times by Trinton who works for eBay and drops in occasionally on the forums to clarify issues.

But, here's one such thread for your info: https://community.ebay.com/t5/PowerSeller-Business/Remorse-Return-Insanity/m-p/27635812

It's a fairly recent change, but I can attest to the fact it is true via first-hand knowledge/experience gained when having to deal with Return Requests/SNAD cases of my own lately.

HTH

Message 14 of 43
latest reply

It's not really buyer abuse on eBay. It's basically the way retail works, every major retailer goes through the same issues every day. Just refund it and move on, it seems like there are a bunch of crazies out there but the reality is that there are many more good buyers than bad ones. 

D

Message 15 of 43
latest reply