cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Retracted bids...Is this a record?

While I am try to navigate the "new seller hub", I figured I would take a break and look at how my auctions were going. ah...another retracted bid. ok we all know people make mistakes, one here one there. But this looks like a new record?

I wish eBay would enforce their own policy and take some action in cases like this. I am sure other sellers have had their share of buyer bid retractions.

The last paragraph of eBay's policy overview on bid retractions,

"Make sure you follow these guidelines. If you don't, you may be subject to a range of actions, including limits of your buying and selling privileges and suspension of your account."

ok, does this qualify? Bid retractions (last 12 months): 2838,  where does eBay draw the line? 5,000, 10,000? This buyer/bidder has less than 500 FB in 5 years.

Another to the block list. Anyone seen higher retractions in 12 months? I hope not but I would not be surprised.

Ok back to seller hub, thanks for letting me vent a little.

Message 1 of 24
latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Buyer Retracted bids...Is this a record?

As a buyer, I watch bid retractions for possible shilling, but as a seller I'd rather have a retraction than a non-paying bidder.

And some newbie buyers don't understand the use of the Watch List, which is a little hard to spot on a computer and downright impossible on my phone.

And some silly people will retract their bid when it is apparent they will not win. No idea why they would do this.

Message 2 of 24
latest reply

It has been stated by the blues that ebay has measures in place to detect excessive bid retractions but your buyer is just more proof that either there are no measures in place OR they simply aren't working. It was also stated (on another board) that the buyers bidding activity is also a factor and that basically, and not in these exact words but basically they can have 2 million bid retractions and 10 million bids and it wouldn't be in violation of the rules, the bid retractions would be considered valid because of their high number of bids. The more you bid, the more retractions you can have and not be guilty of invalid and excessive bid retractions.

One life is all we have to live
Love is all we have to give

**Formerly known as MissJen316**
Message 3 of 24
latest reply

Nope - not a record. We've seen them with over 6000 retractions.

The line they draw is in sand on the beach before a hurricane.

I've seen them with many more thousands.  When a bidder retracts a bid, only that bid is removed...other bids on the same listing remain.

You can only block individual usernames - not other usernames belonging to the same person. eBay won't assist in cases of a buyer using an alternate ID to bid. Those circumstances reduce the blocked list to a paper tiger.

Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one’s courage. ~ Anais Nin
Message 5 of 24
latest reply

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Yikes, I guess my buyer/bidder is still in kindergarden! Thanks for the info.

Message 6 of 24
latest reply

@roadking5555 wrote:

@d-k_treasures wrote:

Yikes, I guess my buyer/bidder is still in kindergarden! Thanks for the info.

I can add add to that.

Have seen one with 16K Bids & 14K Retractions.

Message 7 of 24
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

It has been stated by the blues that ebay has measures in place to detect excessive bid retractions but your buyer is just more proof that either there are no measures in place OR they simply aren't working. It was also stated (on another board) that the buyers bidding activity is also a factor and that basically, and not in these exact words but basically they can have 2 million bid retractions and 10 million bids and it wouldn't be in violation of the rules, the bid retractions would be considered valid because of their high number of bids. The more you bid, the more retractions you can have and not be guilty of invalid and excessive bid retractions.

OR that ebay sees it, but thinks that the buyer is just comparison shopping and it is okay since they may buy from someone else, at a lower price and, therefore, improve the buyer shopping experience.

/sarcasm

Not saying 'NO' doesn't mean 'YES'.

The foolishness of one's actions or words is determined by the number of witnesses.

Perhaps if Brains were described as an APP, many people would use them more often.

Respect, like money, is only of 'worth' when it is earned - with all due respect, it can not be ordained, legislated or coerced. Anonymous
Message 8 of 24
latest reply

Given the nature of your listings (collectible coins), it might be that your deadbeat bidder is using a program of some kind that moves bids around depending on who's got the cheapest auction, or perhaps bids on multiple auctions, wins one and promptly retracts from all the others. I would block and forget.

Message 9 of 24
latest reply

@a_c_green wrote:

Given the nature of your listings (collectible coins), it might be that your deadbeat bidder is using a program of some kind that moves bids around depending on who's got the cheapest auction, or perhaps bids on multiple auctions, wins one and promptly retracts from all the others. I would block and forget.

I agree with your thinking. I have blocked and moved on, but was curious as to the magnitude of the problem. I do occasionally see a retracted bid but then  a follow up bid as i can see it was a typo and they rebid. I am surprised from what I am hearing of how rampant it is.

Message 10 of 24
latest reply

@roadking5555 

You say "While I am try to navigate the "new seller hub", I figured I would take a break and look at how my auctions were going. ah...another retracted bid. ok we all know people make mistakes, one here one there. But this looks like a new record"

Bid retractions?. As you say, we (people) all make mistakes, but I'm getting the feeling FAR too many people are happy to accept it as "just one of those things". 

"200 retractions" ? (some will say, within 30 days/6 months) "that's NOTHING. I've seen bidders, with xyz thousand+"

Bid retraction is only part of it, you also need to look at the % of bids with a certain seller.

Well, I've checked-out LOADS of people in the auctions of items I've been interested in, and often seen ZERO retractions.

On the other hand, I've seen the auctions of 3 sellers (of the same items) with the SAME 2 "bidders", conducting  a bidding war, who OFTEN go on to "retract" together...within a couple of minutes of each other, and then a couple of minutes B4 the auction is cancelled, due to "errors in the listings" 

I love ebay, but theirs a lot about the system that SUCKS, for example how it SEEM's that it's being run by the hear_no_evilsee_no_evilspeak_no_evil

Smiley Frustrated

Message 11 of 24
latest reply

@missjen316 wrote:

No, you're missing the point. They said they have measures in place to DETECT these retractions... but they never said that meant they were DOING anything about it. 

They're probably detecting this activity so they can make sure it's contributing to their bottom line.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 12 of 24
latest reply

@gramophone-georg

Hi gramophone.

You said to missjen316 "No, you're missing the point. They said they have measures in place to DETECT these retractions... but they never said that meant they were DOING anything about it"  but yer know, I think missjen get's it.

I get the feeling (and am often told by other forum members, in support of ebay) that ebay can/will and does do SO much "to keep us safe", but the way I see it, ebey does what's best for ebay...

They can see scammers, they "deal" with rule breakers, and they can see if somebody is bidding on his/her own stuff, because they can tell when yer using the same ISP, SO, IF they can do ALL this,how the hell do we still have these MUPPETS,  retracting...20,30,100...1000,6000+ times, and STILL look to have a near perfect feedback score, let alone permitted to continue to TRADE on ebay?, well I guess the answer is a simple one...10%, the FINAL VALUE FEE.

Smiley Sad

Message 13 of 24
latest reply

@mrmagoo-22 wrote:

@gramophone-georg

Hi gramophone.

You said to missjen316 "No, you're missing the point. They said they have measures in place to DETECT these retractions... but they never said that meant they were DOING anything about it"  but yer know, I think missjen get's it.

I get the feeling (and am often told by other forum members, in support of ebay) that ebay can/will and does do SO much "to keep us safe", but the way I see it, ebey does what's best for ebay...

They can see scammers, they "deal" with rule breakers, and they can see if somebody is bidding on his/her own stuff, because they can tell when yer using the same ISP, SO, IF they can do ALL this,how the hell do we still have these MUPPETS,  retracting...20,30,100...1000,6000+ times, and STILL look to have a near perfect feedback score, let alone permitted to continue to TRADE on ebay?, well I guess the answer is a simple one...10%, the FINAL VALUE FEE.

Smiley Sad

Of course eBay does what's best for eBay. Nothing wrong with it, either- they're not a charity. But it just kills me that they always feel the need to act like they're reluctantly doing these things for OUR benefit... just like when they bought PayPal and then FORCED it on the eBay community to "keep us safe" from all these "scamming sellers" after telling us for years prior to the acquisition how "unsafe" PayPal itself was.

Chaos is NOT an "industry standard".
Message 14 of 24
latest reply

@gramophone-georg said to me.

"Of course eBay does what's best for eBay. Nothing wrong with it, either- they're not a charity "

I didn't think that was the case for a second, no...there entitled to charge a fee, a %, and that's only fair, my point is that in allowing the retractors, the jokers who are at it time and time again to operate, it is done (often, not always) in the process of shill bidding, so if they succeed, the END price is higher, so ebays "Final Value Fee" is higher.

Message 15 of 24
latest reply