cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Buyer Filed INAD Case for Missing Parts...then Changed to Buyer's Remorse

We sold a Night Vision Scope that had a huge lens on it (it weighed over 30 lbs). It was old, but worked with some issues. We selected "Parts or Not Working" and "No Returns". We mentioned the following: all the physical defects (scratched body, lenses, and mirrors), functionality issues, that we didn't know the history of the item, we reiterated that it was for Parts or Not Working in the written description, took an ample amount of high quality photos showing the condition and flaws, and also stated that it would be disassembled (the scope from the lens) and shipped separately. The buyer filed an INAD case claiming he didn't get the Scope part and that the unit was disassembled. After a few unanswered messages telling him that USPS tracking had showed that the Scope had been delivered, he admitted that it had been.  He also admitted that if he realized the condition of the item and that it was going to be disassembled, he never would have purchased it. It's not a hard item to reassemble, and this guy is a professional reseller of these items (so I'm sure he'd have no problems connecting the scope to the lens). He also said that the item is not "name brand"; we never said it was. So, my question is...what are my chances at winning a case of pure buyer's remorse on a "Parts or Not Working" / "No Returns" listing, where the buyer obviously didn't read the full item description, and his  initial "Missing Parts" claim is bogus???

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Buyer Filed INAD Case for Missing Parts...then Changed to Buyer's Remorse

Chances are 0.0%. Buyers have Money Back Guarantee, so all you can do is tell buyer to 'return for refund'. If they opened a Not as Described, you received a message stating to send him a return label or authorize ebay to issue the buyer one. Doesn't matter what the buyer did after that initial return reason. 

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Tell him to return both parts for a full refund.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return both parts for a full refund."

If you don't he will likely win anyway.

With a Buyer's Remorse claim, he has to pay for return shipping.

When you get both parts back, refund and add him to your Blocked Bidder List.

You can stew over this, but you may as well get something saleable back and only be out the cost of shipping to him.

"I regret you are unhappy with your purchase. Please return both parts for a full refund."

BTW- why would you both disassemble the scope and ship the parts separately?  Surely it would be cheaper to package them together? 

You should be able to ship USPS unless the dimensions are very large.

https://dbcalc.usps.com/

Not every transaction will go perfectly, and cameras and camera parts appear to be a high risk/high fraud category.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

@grovitesalesinc wrote:

So, my question is...what are my chances at winning a case of pure buyer's remorse on a "Parts or Not Working" / "No Returns" listing,

If the buyer files an INAD, theres a 99.9% chance the buyer will win.

Have a great day
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@grovitesalesinc wrote:

So, my question is...what are my chances at winning a case

Zero.   Sellers cannot win a Money Back Guarantee case ... even if the buyer is lying, tells you he is lying in a separate message, and has a username of "I_Am_Dishonest".

You take the return, refund the money when it is received, and report the buyer for abusing the Money Back Guarantee to circumvent your return policy.  If this buyer gets reported for similar abuse too may times, then eBay will end his ability to return items.

If it is any consolation, I don't see any errors in your listing ... it looks like you did everything right.  You just encountered one of eBay's abusive buyers.

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

BTW- why would you both disassemble the scope and ship the parts separately?  Surely it would be cheaper to package them together? 

You should be able to ship USPS unless the dimensions are very large.

https://dbcalc.usps.com/

Not every transaction will go perfectly, and cameras and camera parts appear to be a high risk/high fraud category.

Shipped disassembled to avoid damage. The night vision scope is not a camera part- it's for hunting.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

I would ask the buyer to review the listing and close the INAD case. The buyer simply didn't read the listing. Or you can call eBay and ask them to read the messages from the buyer. 

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Or you can call eBay and ask them to read the messages from the buyer. 

Ebay no longer reviews "ebay messages from the buyer"  to refute a phony SNAD claim.   Part of our new enhanced improved protection for sellers around here.   

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

Thank you all for your replies. I've been in the eBay game full time for about 8 years now. I don't get many returns, and usually they are legitimate (damaged during shipping). Back when I started, eBay was a bit more willing to look at the details of the case and not automatically side with the buyer. Especially if the item was a true Parts or Not Working/No Returns listing, and the real cause was "Buyer's Remorse". I'm in Managed Payments, so eBay handles my payment transfers directly. They have put the allotted amount on "hold" and I'm pretty much paralyzed until the case goes away. I called Customer Service last night, and the young man said that because the buyer's initial claim was because he hadn't "received the housing" he couldn't close out the case. Now that the buyer admitted to having received all the parts, and just being upset that it was disassembled (a clear case of buyer's remorse), I was hoping for a sunnier disposition. I was on hold for 2.5 hours and then the house phone died. Now, I'm sitting with my smartphone plugged into the wall and starting the holding process all over again. There's never a good time for a return, but with all that's going on in the world and retail markets, this really hurts.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Appears the C-S agent was confused. Since the buyer filed INAD even for a bogus non "missing" part, the request will never be closed out in your favor or the reason changed by C-S to buyers remorse.  You'll need to accept the return asap or the system will simply refund the buyer, with no return required.

The current policy is that the seller must accept all INAD returns and then after receiving the item back issue a full refund (or partial up to 50% if the item is returned damaged or switched and seller is TRS or a free return listing). 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

All I can say is good luck, I'm getting screwed the same way currently. Sold a Parts/non working item, buyer opened an INAD because it was broken, and eBay is telling me to eat s**t in so many words.

They told me that if a buyer says INAD, no matter what, you lose your seller protection. They refuse to close the case even though their own policy dictates that this is a false INAD. 

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

They did for me within the last 2 weeks. 
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

If I were you, I would accept the return. Once you get it back and the case is closed in the buyer's favor, file an appeal. Appeals are final decision. File the appeal on a phone call and ask eBay to decide while you are on the phone. You can use the listing and the messages from the as the evidence. 

Or you can ask the buyer to look at the listing and close the INAD on their own. They didn't read the listing and should take ownership for that. If you allow them to do a regular return, that is up to you. But they may be in agreement to return at their own expensive (they should be, they simply didn't read and should fund their own mistakes). 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@cream_couture wrote:

Doubtful but if they did you are the only one.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply