cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big decline in sales

Hello, over the past 2 weeks I  have been experiencing very low sales, not sure if it is something with my listings or what.  Anyone else notice a big decline in sales? Any info would be appreciated.

Message 1 of 61
latest reply
60 REPLIES 60

Re: Big decline in sales

I've been pulling my hair out thinking it was a "below standard" thing.  Maybe it is.  Anyway I see others are having a big drop in sales.    I've had a below standard for some time now not knowing what this even was.  Come to find out the buyers and/or myself did not close out cases that were opened.  The cases are resolved, feedback is excellent, and I'm dealing with this below standard thing.  So frustrating.

Message 16 of 61
latest reply

Hi - Blame it on the ebay. I know I do. 

Message 17 of 61
latest reply

Not a huge seller, but been doing OK. Sales are about the same if not slightly better than previous months.  Few more international sales than usual too. I sell a variety of stuff though. So not stuck in one niche/category. Would probably be better if I were better at listing consistently. But whatever. That's future lepke's problem.

Having said that, I am sure some people are having issues because of some of the changes eBay has done with categories and searching and whatnot. But people are also not stuck inside anymore. Then you have some areas doing away with the Fed unemployment bump. Not to mention this time of year is usually slow as it is.

If it was just the searching and normal May to July slowdown, it probably wouldn't be that bad. But the being stuck at home and/or unemployment running out is probably the biggest issue.

Am guessing if the Fed ends up throwing money at people again we'll see a slight sale increase. Not to mention if or when people get their tax overpayments. Even my state is taking their sweet time. And the monthly child tax credit stuff starting in (I think) mid-July should help some.

Message 18 of 61
latest reply

most likely due to how ebay changed the search system - seems they show only buyers they want to see your listings

Message 19 of 61
latest reply

I personally believe its the ads. I also think the push to spend more for the bottom line of eBay is noticeable. I guess what I am saying the promoted listings, the algorithms, are all working against sellers. Such as, you make a mistake or two your listings are dropped tremendously. I have a very rare figure that doesn't even show up on the first page of searches.  And in truth I didnt really drop the ball on any buyers. I just took a picture of the PO receipt for the tracking number. Because the payout will not grab postage from my bank account, which is very archaic. So, hence I have all these lopsided late mailings bringing my A.I. rating down. Which is actually just not true. Also I have refunds that stick in the Failure to Delivers column which eBay will not remove.   Its been a nightmare trying to talk to agents and never getting support.   

So I guess what I am saying is be on top of mailings and if you have a defect just give it away. Because the A.I. does not have a tolerance for you being human. 

Message 20 of 61
latest reply

I have only sold items that have to do with outdoors and travel. and slow sales since July. Do the math. Things won´t stay like this forever, just wait and see in a month or so.  For now I can only recommend you to list new items and check your inventory and get ready for better times.

Message 21 of 61
latest reply

I don't understand why they promote other sellers items on competing sellers pages! They are trying so hard to be "A"! I sell on there as well and I swear eBay is harder to deal with.

Message 22 of 61
latest reply

Yes I have also noticed the decline.

Message 23 of 61
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s been 3 weeks since I’ve made a sale on eBay. I honestly don’t think there are buyers. I sell the same items on other sites and they are booming. I pay more on eBay store subscriptions and fees than I actually make. 

Message 24 of 61
latest reply

Was selling a few items a day. Lucky if sold a few items in this entire last week. What’s going on???

Message 25 of 61
latest reply

Then it’s just you. Bc sales have been down collectively across all platforms for me, ebay has actually been the most consistent. 

Message 26 of 61
latest reply

september 2021  ebay customer suport has gone mising  and wont reply to me. im asking ebay to cancel a sale for a buyer the buyer is hating me thinking im scaming him because of ebay not doing there job and just taking people's money and not responding or accepting phone calls  come on ebay this is a e commers site not a shop in lockdown.

Message 27 of 61
latest reply

Ebay failed to realize the complexity of the ebay buyer/seller audience.  Ebay was not made up of just buyers and sellers. There was a large segment that was made up of small sellers that sold items they owned and did not need anymore, then in turn, purchased items they did need with the earnings gained from those sales.  Ebay either ignored this class of customer or is simply unaware of them.   Either way ebay alienated them as sellers.  With no income from ebay, these sellers are no longer buyers (at least on ebay).  They have moved on to other sites / venues.   With those small sellers gone, many of the deals they offered (selling used items at a low price) are gone as well making ebay less attractive to buyers.  It is the start of a slow spiral down…..

If ebay were to actually care enough to examine the statistics, the facts would bear the above supposition out.   This is why, I believe, sales are down.  

Message 28 of 61
latest reply

Yep, no more PayPal is killing eBay. I quit selling last summer.

Message 29 of 61
latest reply

same here

Message 30 of 61
latest reply