cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware of scammers

If you are a seller that is interested in keeping their customers happy, you are a mark for a scam.  First, the scammer finds an item that is totally underpriced.  Second, they claim the postage is too high for the underpriced item.  If they succeed at getting the seller to lower the shipping cost, they buy the item.  Upon receipt of the item, they move to the next step.  They find a minute detail and claim the item is not perfect.  If they don't find a flaw, they make something up, such as odors and even bugs.  Not wishing to hassle with a low-cost item, the seller returns their money.  They won the game - which it is because the money involved is not huge. The real problem for the good-hearted seller is that they get a mark against them in their performance rating and end up with a Below Average rating.  At this point, many of these sellers simply give up and drop out of Ebay.  Bad move -- instead, report the buyer and let the game catch up with them.  

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Beware of scammers

@delstamps wrote:

If you are a seller that is interested in keeping their customers happy, you are a mark for a scam.  First, the scammer finds an item that is totally underpriced.  Second, they claim the postage is too high for the underpriced item.  If they succeed at getting the seller to lower the shipping cost, they buy the item.  Upon receipt of the item, they move to the next step.  They find a minute detail and claim the item is not perfect.  If they don't find a flaw, they make something up, such as odors and even bugs.  Not wishing to hassle with a low-cost item, the seller returns their money.  They won the game - which it is because the money involved is not huge. The real problem for the good-hearted seller is that they get a mark against them in their performance rating and end up with a Below Average rating.  At this point, many of these sellers simply give up and drop out of Ebay.  Bad move -- instead, report the buyer and let the game catch up with them.  

NOPE.

I have an ironclad defense against the hypothetical scam you dredged up out of nowhere.

NOTHING I sell is "totally underpriced"

EVERYTHING I sell is free shipping so there is nothing to negotiate.

If they have a complaint my standard answer is "I'm sorry you are not happy. Feel free to return it for a full refund" That requires them to open an INR claim. I immediately send a prepaid shipping label for which I do not get charged until and unless they actually send it back. You would be surprised at how many times they never send it back. Their intent is to get a discount or get it for free. If they have to return it then they never get either. Then I file a complaint with eBay for misuse of the return process. After a few of those the buyer will find his return privileges revoked.

View Best Answer in original post

Message 4 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

Beware of scammers

True

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

I would never haggle with a buyer over shipping costs or anything. I don't deal with buyers who try to change my TOS. They end up in my BBL and that's the end of it. 

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

@delstamps wrote:

NOPE.

I have an ironclad defense against the hypothetical scam you dredged up out of nowhere.

NOTHING I sell is "totally underpriced"

EVERYTHING I sell is free shipping so there is nothing to negotiate.

If they have a complaint my standard answer is "I'm sorry you are not happy. Feel free to return it for a full refund" That requires them to open an INR claim. I immediately send a prepaid shipping label for which I do not get charged until and unless they actually send it back. You would be surprised at how many times they never send it back. Their intent is to get a discount or get it for free. If they have to return it then they never get either. Then I file a complaint with eBay for misuse of the return process. After a few of those the buyer will find his return privileges revoked.

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

@delstamps 

Thanks for the advice and post, however as a seller I am here to make money, not incessantly argue & haggle with customers.  Make your customers happy, they pay the bills, not the scammers.  Your no returns policy will not hold water either.  No returns does not mean no refunds.  All buyers have a 30 MBG and can return what ever they bought for really no reason.  I would look to change that policy.

To be honest, you're selling a lot of used and vintage items. It's usually the high dollar electronics that the biggest scam targets.  Your shop is cute too, but I guess there's a scam for everything now days.  Sorry for your experience.  Hang in there. 

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

Hi @delstamps 

There is no need for a scammer to target underpriced items and haggle over postage. Virtually any buyer can get any item for free by invoking eBay’s 30 day Money Back Guarantee by opening a Not As Described case. They will get a full refund. There is no avoiding that risk.

If your buyers are complaining about odors or bugs or anything else, i would start by giving them the benefit of the doubt. Not every complaint is a scam, and my experience has been that most buyers are honest.  

In 15 years I have never been scammed out of an item as a seller on eBay, and i  offer free returns (and avoid listing in high scam categories).

Wishing you best of luck moving forward.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

You are correct.  I have to get tough.  By giving refunds without returns, I am just inviting these game players.  They are not pro-scammers in it for the money.  It is just do it as a challenge to get free stuff.  New policy:  "Pay the quoted price and the necessary shipping cost or find another seller.  If you don't like what you get, send it back."  THANKS

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

If/when a buyer complains about the shipping cost, presumably in an effort to get it cheaper, the smart seller tells the buyer they will cancel per the buyer's request.

If the buyer actually completes the transaction and receives the item, if they want a refund, they will need to open a case.  The smart seller does not refund until he has the item back. 

And then he blocks this person.  

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

If you, as the seller, are refunding without requiring a return, then you, as a seller, are contributing to the problem.  Think about it.  

It is not a matter of getting tough.  It's a matter of doing the  right thing.  

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

ever wonder why scamming population only grows?

-"I do have another issue with a buyer who has been reported by me, and seemingly atleast! a dozen other people, but they are still not banned, and is actively trying to scam me now.....
their feedback is filled with "positive" "this buyer is a scammer" .....FILLED! how are they still here?"

----The best thing you need to do is to report that buyer under the help and contact.

-But I have over a week ago, and other buyers months weeks and maybe a year ago
their was 3 months of all 'scammer' feedback when they purchased from me
I didnt read feedback until they attempted to get a full refund with no return
3 months after purchase... on a dvd
and they have received feedback since me as well
so they are stilllll out there scamming....

alright....so you are being made aware of a scammer who is actively still scamming, has scammed 30+ times in the past, still yet to be banned, and ebay just gonna let him keep going?

Disconnected by ebay rep.

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

Maybe you have forgotten this:  Buyers are not supposed to be given negative FB and a seller giving it risks a defect plus looks like a noog.  

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Beware of scammers

I'm having a similar situation going with scammers, we sell jewelry by the pounds .The buyer buys the big box of jewelry we ship it out , when the jewelry is received by the buyer they start a request saying the box was damaged during shipping but it's really the scammer see , they get the box of jewelry take out what they want putting a hole in the box taping it up then they want a refund of they're money and the seller is screwed not only out of they're money but out of the product they sell to . eBay needs to put a stop to this because if we sellers lose money so does eBay when people get tired of being scammed and stops selling on eBay well eBay loses money and sellers . I'm not standing for this any longer I'm calling eBay explaining the situation and if eBay allows this scammer to win they will lose a seller a member and money as well by me leaving eBay . It's a real nice world we live in today these scammers are like our government they get richer while keeping us in the poverty lines .  I for one will not put up with such going ons it's time for these scammers to pay for they're wrong doings . What you sow so shall you reap .

Message 12 of 12
latest reply