cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auctions soon to be automatically relisted too?

This morning after 10 weeks of no extra free listing offers (besides the 50 each month) finally got a 100 free auction listings offer. Thrilled! Then read their paragraphs of fine print. This is frightening: "qualifying listings that do not sell during their first listing duration may automatically renew/relist outside the Promotion Period, and will be subject to standard insertion fees."     Not so thrilled anymore. What does "may" mean? Like they might relist & charge me, or they might choose not to relist?  Do we take a chance on this? If true then the baloney in their announcement about how the fixed price items will eternally relist & we will pay 35 cents each unless we cancel ahead of time includes ONLY those BINs & Fixed Price was a lie. Holy cow, really need this clarified before listing any more "free" items.

Message 1 of 71
latest reply
70 REPLIES 70

@mam98031 wrote:

@goodluckselling wrote:

I agree with this.  We have to really read the statement carefully.

"Qualifying listings that do not sell during their first listing duration may automatically renew/relist outside of the Promotion Period, and will be subject to standard insertion fees."

Auto renew listing are GTC listings and if this promo included FP/GTC listings then this rule would apply to those listing.

eBay has made no mention of auction listings being converted into GTC listings.

Good Luck Selling!

The specific promo was for auctions only.

Yes I know.  Where did I confuse you?

Good Luck Selling!

Message 46 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@magsmg101 wrote:

Just adding on to the last post.

I did get that auction/fixed price promo and that message had 4 bullets under restrictions & exclusions.

When I activated the offer there were 7 bullets.
Terms and categories changed.

I am not a frequent poster but I will give it a go anyway.

@Anonymous 

Hi @magsmg101, if you review the screenshots you provided you can see that the information in the additional bullets was already present in the original draft and is simply being reiterated. I believe you are concerned with the terms changing after activation and I can confirm that the terms are the same in both screenshots you provided, they are simply displayed differently. To clarify, the bullets that were not present in the first screenshot contain terms that were previously stated elsewhere on the page. 

Edit: I do see that Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment was not in the first screenshot as an excluded category, but I would need more information before I could get this reviewed further. Can you provide the URL to the terms and conditions as well as give me more detail on when this was first received and when it was activated? 

Message 47 of 71
latest reply

I was hoping to have it clarified as to whether the auctions will be automatically renewed if they don't sell.

Message 48 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moldy5 wrote:

This morning after 10 weeks of no extra free listing offers (besides the 50 each month) finally got a 100 free auction listings offer. Thrilled! Then read their paragraphs of fine print. This is frightening: "qualifying listings that do not sell during their first listing duration may automatically renew/relist outside the Promotion Period, and will be subject to standard insertion fees."     Not so thrilled anymore. What does "may" mean? Like they might relist & charge me, or they might choose not to relist?  Do we take a chance on this? If true then the baloney in their announcement about how the fixed price items will eternally relist & we will pay 35 cents each unless we cancel ahead of time includes ONLY those BINs & Fixed Price was a lie. Holy cow, really need this clarified before listing any more "free" items.

Hi @moldy5, when listing your item you may see a notice that the listing will automatically renew up to 8 times, or elect to have the listing renewed if it does not sell. If you see a notice where this is automatically going to happen, there would be no insertion fee. If you instead select an option to have this renewed, then a fee would apply. This is why it says that fees "may" apply, because it depends on what options are presented to you. You would be aware of what is going to happen at the time you list the item, as the listing form will clarify which scenario you are under. Different scenarios apply to different sellers based on business size.

This line is simply clarifying that if you elect to have your listings renew beyond the promotional period, or if your listings will automatically renew beyond the promotional period (based on business size this would automatically be applied as displayed in the listing process), fees may apply as normal. If you choose to renew/relist, fees would be assessed outside of the promotional period as they normally would. If eBay has applied this automatically (again, something that would be clearly stated to you in the listing process) then no fees would apply for those listings.

Message 49 of 71
latest reply

Thank You Trinton, I finally got my answer!!! As I understand you, since my listings do NOT say they will automatically relist by you guys & I have NOT checked the "please auto-relist this" box there will be no relist by either of us. And no surprise fees for me. Thank You again!
Message 50 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@drusalina wrote:

I didn't get the 100 Free Auction because I have been so vocal on the boards.  They are punishing me for saying the truth.  "they can't handle the truth."

I am only going to relist a few items w BIN and I am making sure it says 30 day.  I will see when they start the GTC if I will list.  It depends on the rules.  If they let you cancel the listing before the 30 days, with out  penalty that will be a big factor.  

I don't like auctions and stopped using them, because of so many non-paying bidders/buyers.  I only list with BIN w/ immediate payment.  That Stopped the non paying buyers and I had a lot less stress. 

Hi @drusalina, I just want to clarify that your board activity would have no impact whatsoever on what promotions you recieve. Various teams will create promotions to send out, and while specific subsets of the Community are selected (ie. buyers, sellers, new sellers, electronics category, store subscribers, etc), the individuals who receive promotions within those subsets would be randomly selected. The teams that create promotions would not look at your posting activity here on the discussion boards and in fact, would generally not have access to a record of your posts. You are free to speak your mind as you see fit here as long as it is in accordance with our Community Guidelines. No hidden "punishments" will be applied - if you violate eBay or Community policies, you will receive clear communication about this and barring any loss of eBay privileges, would not receive fewer/no promotions due to corrective action taken.

Message 51 of 71
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

@moldy5 wrote:
Thank You Trinton, I finally got my answer!!! As I understand you, since my listings do NOT say they will automatically relist by you guys & I have NOT checked the "please auto-relist this" box there will be no relist by either of us. And no surprise fees for me. Thank You again!

Hi @moldy5, correct! Unless you choose to renew/relist, or eBay has applied this automatically at the time of listing (which would be clearly stated in the listing form and have no insertion fees applied), your auctions will not renew/relist after the initial duration. No surprise fees or anything like that slight_smile

Message 52 of 71
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@magsmg101 wrote:

Just adding on to the last post.

I did get that auction/fixed price promo and that message had 4 bullets under restrictions & exclusions.

When I activated the offer there were 7 bullets.
Terms and categories changed.

I am not a frequent poster but I will give it a go anyway.

@Anonymous 

Hi @magsmg101, if you review the screenshots you provided you can see that the information in the additional bullets was already present in the original draft and is simply being reiterated. I believe you are concerned with the terms changing after activation and I can confirm that the terms are the same in both screenshots you provided, they are simply displayed differently. To clarify, the bullets that were not present in the first screenshot contain terms that were previously stated elsewhere on the page. 

Edit: I do see that Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment was not in the first screenshot as an excluded category, but I would need more information before I could get this reviewed further. Can you provide the URL to the terms and conditions as well as give me more detail on when this was first received and when it was activated? 

Please show me where in this screen shot  the auto renew/relist shows up.

In the "message" invitation to the promo it does not have the "may auto renew/relist" info.

That bullet point is only seen after activating the promo.

Before:

TERMS AND CONDITIONS

By invitation only and applies to XXXX ; offer is not transferable.

*Source: eBay Q3 2017 Internal Data.

15% lift reflects conversion when moving from no returns to 30-day free returns. Individual results may vary. eBay does not guarantee that each seller will experience the same lift. Free returns: seller pays return shipping no matter the reason for return, with no restocking fee.

Please note: Invited sellers must activate the Promotion by selecting " Activate offer" in the invitation email or on the Promotion landing page. Items listed prior to a seller activating the Promotion will not be eligible for the Promotional Rate.

What is the Promotion?
Invited sellers ("Sellers") who activate the offer and then create a listing in the auction-style format or auction-style with Buy it Now format, pursuant to the terms and conditions set forth herein ("Qualifying Listing"), will pay no insertion fee per item ("Promotion") for up to 100 listings during the Promotion Period (as defined below). All existing selling limits on your account (as well as category and item limits) still apply, and may prevent you from creating the maximum number of listings in this Promotion. The Promotion is in addition to the free listings per month as part of the everyday rate plan.

The Promotion excludes items listed in 1-day or 3-day duration.It does not apply to final value fees or optional advanced listing upgrade and supplemental service fees. Final value fees will be applied to the total amount of the sale, including the cost of the item, shipping, and any other fees a seller may charge—excluding any sales tax. Fees for optional listing upgrades (such as reserve price, Gallery Plus, listing in 2 categories, etc.) still apply. For listing in 2 categories, you will be charged at standard rates for the second category.

Who's eligible?
This Promotion is available to invited sellers who: (i) received an email and/or message in My eBay; (ii) activated the promotion from the invitation email or on the Promotion landing page; and (iii) meet eBay's minimum seller performance standards. Please sign in to My eBay and view your Seller Dashboard to verify whether your account is currently meeting the standards.

When is it?
This Promotion will begin on Sunday, March 03, 2019 at 00:00:01 PT (12:00AM plus one second), and will end on Saturday, March 09, 2019 at 23:59:59 PT (11:59PM plus 59 seconds), for listings on www.ebay.com (the "Promotion Period").

How do I activate the promotion?
Sellers that have been invited to participate will automatically receive the Promotion after they activate the Promotion from the invitation email or the Promotion landing page, and then create Qualifying Listings on the US site at www.ebay.com, or eBay Motors at www.ebay.com/motors (Parts & Accessories and Automotive Tools & Supplies only) through the Sell Your Item form, eBay Seller Tools, eBay Mobile applications, and most third-party tools. Any listings created prior to the time of activation will not be eligible for the Promotion. For sellers listing with any tool other than the latest version of the Sell Your Item form, the Promotional Rate may not be shown during the listing process. Instead, the discount will be reflected in the "Seller Account" section in My eBay, under the Account tab, as well as in your next invoice.

Restrictions & Exclusions

• This Promotion excludes 1-day and 3-day durations. • The following categories are excluded: eBay Motors Passenger Vehicles; Motorcycles; Boats; Power Sports; Other Vehicles; Motors Local Market; Real Estate; Classified Ad listings; Heavy Equipment; Food Trucks, Trailers & Carts; Imaging & Aesthetics Equipment; and Commercial Printing Presses. • All Qualifying Listings must comply with all applicable eBay policies, including eBay's Duplicate Listing policy that allows for the removal of duplicate fixed price listings. • The Promotion excludes listings created prior to activating the offer and listings with a start date prior to, or after the Promotion Period. However, Good 'Til Cancelled listings that renew during the Promotion Period are eligible for the Promotion.

Reference code: 5922

Visit our Privacy Notice and User Agreement if you have any questions.

Copyright © eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. 2­14­5 Ha­mil­ton Av­enue,S­an Jose, C­A 95­12­5.

Message 53 of 71
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

@drusalina wrote:

I didn't get the 100 Free Auction because I have been so vocal on the boards.  They are punishing me for saying the truth.  "they can't handle the truth."

I am only going to relist a few items w BIN and I am making sure it says 30 day.  I will see when they start the GTC if I will list.  It depends on the rules.  If they let you cancel the listing before the 30 days, with out  penalty that will be a big factor.  

I don't like auctions and stopped using them, because of so many non-paying bidders/buyers.  I only list with BIN w/ immediate payment.  That Stopped the non paying buyers and I had a lot less stress. 

Hi @drusalina, I just want to clarify that your board activity would have no impact whatsoever on what promotions you recieve. Various teams will create promotions to send out, and while specific subsets of the Community are selected (ie. buyers, sellers, new sellers, electronics category, store subscribers, etc), the individuals who receive promotions within those subsets would be randomly selected. The teams that create promotions would not look at your posting activity here on the discussion boards and in fact, would generally not have access to a record of your posts. You are free to speak your mind as you see fit here as long as it is in accordance with our Community Guidelines. No hidden "punishments" will be applied - if you violate eBay or Community policies, you will receive clear communication about this and barring any loss of eBay privileges, would not receive fewer/no promotions due to corrective action taken.

Sorry Trinton, I no longer believe anything eBay tells me anymore.  The canned responses are just bla bla bla to me.  Like the jilted friend I have become and with all of the promises that eBay told me, they have all been taken away.  Like 100 Free listings a month, taken away and only have 50 now.  "Work hard and become a TRS"  I did that I worked hard to keep my TRS and then it was taken away because I can't afford 30 Day Free Returns and my USPS Carrier Laughed so hard when I told her about Guaranteed Delivery.  What about the Seller Protection eBay promised?  No mention of that whatsoever!

Then eBay constantly tries to entice with the Free Listing Sales, and I fall for it every time, building and building up the amount of listings.  Which all will be for nothing now.  Like a bug to the bug zapper I am fried!  I can no longer believe anyone at eBay anymore. 

When the Final Spring Update does come I am sure there will be a way for eBay to charge us if we end our listings early.  So no more Trinton.  I cannot take any more abuse from eBay. 

I will only list what I can and make sure that I wont' get hit with extra fees.  I can't do it.  I can't afford it, especially with the extremely poor sales since April of 2018.

The Software could be written to Help the sellers, not destroy them.  That is what is being done, it will destroy not only me but all of the other sellers who depend on eBay for bills, putting food on the table and those extra bills that pop up.  GTC will destroy and chase sellers away.   

I will not be buying more inventory and I certainly won't be buying anything here on eBay. The fun is gone from selling on eBay and eBay HAS HURT ME for the last time.  eBay HAS LOST MY TRUST COMPLETELY!

Change the channel!
Message 54 of 71
latest reply

I was hoping to have it clarified as to whether the auctions will be automatically renewed if they don't sell.

Did you get an answer yet?  Looks like a bunch of evasive spin. 

Message 55 of 71
latest reply

Hi ittybitnot, I just got the answer this afternoon from trinton@ebay. It's right after the ignition posting. I do trust them on this. But still ticked about our needing to sneak in there just before out Fixed Price listings end. What's interesting is so many different offers went to sellers. Some got the special wording about "may relist" & others did not.
Message 56 of 71
latest reply

Some got the special wording about "may relist" & others did not.

We are specifically looking for information for AUCTION listings.  My guess is that with the new real seller update they will finally let us know. .....In the meantime....LOL...

When ebay says MAY..... cover your head and run for cover.  I have been here for 20 years and in no way am I an expert in EBAY SPIN, but can smell a fish. 

Message 57 of 71
latest reply

OK, off & running too! Having fish for dinner but it does smell good. Noticed I screwed up my reply to you bigly. It's not supposed to say "ignition" . Meant to type "initial". I swear I am sober.
Message 58 of 71
latest reply

@moldy5 wrote:
OK, off & running too! Having fish for dinner but it does smell good. Noticed I screwed up my reply to you bigly. It's not supposed to say "ignition" . Meant to type "initial". I swear I am sober.

Are you sure.  Have you been into those Rum Raspberry slushies?  I'm waiting for my vodka raspberry slushy.  

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 59 of 71
latest reply

Yes mam, I am not fuzzy. Only on Friday nights. Hubby was jabbering about our son needing a new ignition thingy as I was typing to ittybitnot exactly when I was about to type initial. Crimony, you hit 66 years & the brain just takes a hike whenever. However, am thrilled to have gotten a proper answer to my question. It's all good! Cheers my Friend.
Message 60 of 71
latest reply