cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction ended w bid but need to cancel

Hi,

Yuck. I had a listing end with bids. 10 min before auction closed I noticed a big error in my listing. 

Entirely my fault! I offered the buyer a huge discount but she would rather cancel and I don't blame her. How do I cancel the auction after it closes with bids? Btw she had bid on 2 separate listings and won both and now wants to cancel both. Im fine with that but how to go about it?

Also I understand  there are fees attached and thats fine with me

Thanks

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Re: Auction ended w bid but need to cancel

@oscargrey wrote:

I think the cancel options are really vague. I would never guess that “ out of stock “ would also refer to sellers error. I it seemed if i used that option id be lying too. Its really confusing. Thanks everyone for your input! Ill call ebay tomorrow and they can walk me through the correct steps to take at this point. 

I see what you mean.  You are taking "out of stock" very literally and since you do have the item, it seems that that doesn't apply.  Think of it this way~if you can't provide the item in the condition the listing specified, you are out of stock.  Due to an error in the listing, you don't have the item in the condition specified.  

I appreciate your integrity, but again, this is your call.  Just wanted to provide perspective as to policy.  Whether or not you call, the perspective will be here should someone else need it or care to read it.

Many sellers I know won't file a buyer requested when it is not the buyer's fault, but their error.  They find that offensive to their integrity and abhorrent.  Others use buyer requested when it is really their error.  A true buyer requested cancellation is initiated by the buyer for their reason, not in response to a seller asking if they want to cancel because there is something wrong with the item.  Some want to avoid a defect.  Just the way it is.  

Wishing you all the best whatever you decide and as you go forward.  

Message 16 of 35
latest reply

Buyer bid on two listings most probably to get combined shipping.  If the one had not needed to be cancelled, most likely both sales would have gone through.

Buyer requested not really applicable in that case.

OP's call, two defects would hurt~just explaining the situation.

Message 17 of 35
latest reply

You are a person of integrity and you were not seeking loopholes.  I don't think anyone thought that.  You simply wanted information.  There is nothing wrong with that!

Please don't feel badly.  Just be very careful ongoing, and when you seek advice on this Board, wait until you have others weighing in so you have a complete picture.

Good luck to you!

Message 18 of 35
latest reply

Sorry, but I disagree with the advice given.

You explained to your buyer there was a problem.  Your buyer offered to let you cancel it.

I had a similar experience.  Actually a few as a buyer.  Seller contacted me about a problem and asked how to proceed.  I told them it was OK to cancel saying buyer requested.  I gave them permission to do so after they asked me.

This is quite different than someone cancelling saying buyer requested or problem with address when they just take it upon themselves to do so.

I think this advice is needlessly put this seller's account in jeopardy.  Seller and buyer worked it out.  

Message 19 of 35
latest reply

I respect your opinion, and I understand that there will be different interpretations on this.

Buyer didn't really have a choice, though.  Yes, the buyer said to cancel, but she didn't want something that was not as described, even at a discount.  She can't force the seller to have an item in the condition it was described.  She didn't want it at a discount, and she then didn't want the first item because the second one was not as described.  

A buyer cancellation request is when they change their mind for their own reasons, not because they are put in that position of having to request the cancel due to seller error.

Although it is kind of you and others to work with the seller, it is best if the buyer is not put in that situation.  If buyer wanted a refund, they just wouldn't have bought or bid in the first place.  Yes, sometimes mistakes are made and things happen~it is up to those involved to handle things as they see fit.

Hopefully the OP won't get negative feedback from this buyer.

It's up to everyone to handle this type of situation according to their choice.

Wishing all good luck as they go forward.  I can only suggest avoiding this situation by very carefully checking listings as they go live and immediately thereafter.  

Message 20 of 35
latest reply

@emerald40 wrote:

Sorry, but I disagree with the advice given.

You explained to your buyer there was a problem.  Your buyer offered to let you cancel it.

I had a similar experience.  Actually a few as a buyer.  Seller contacted me about a problem and asked how to proceed.  I told them it was OK to cancel saying buyer requested.  I gave them permission to do so after they asked me.

This is quite different than someone cancelling saying buyer requested or problem with address when they just take it upon themselves to do so.

I think this advice is needlessly put this seller's account in jeopardy.  Seller and buyer worked it out.  

Tell me what other choice the buyer had?

If the seller says there is an issue and they are not able to ship it, does the buyer have a choice to say "sorry I want you to send it anyway"?

Impossible.

Yes we all make mistakes, and I don't think anyone should be severely punished for that, but I absolutely think fostering this type of attitude that its "okay" to cancel at "buyers request" when that really isn't the case  just gives careless and irresponsible sellers a way to sneakily get around the rules and avoid defects which were put in place to hold sellers accountable for their listings.

Message 21 of 35
latest reply

This is a touchy topic.  

Many will feel that they need to take responsibility for their actions and take the defect(s).

Others won't.  Some will use buyer requested, whether the buyer actually did or whether they just got the buyer to request it.  They will get the buyer to agree to cancel and use that as the reason.

To each his own.  Everyone will not be of the same opinion~and everyone will be convinced that they are right.  Just the way of the world.  

Message 22 of 35
latest reply

I would not worry about trying to call eBay to change the reason to get yourself a defect.  Your 1st problem may be getting the CS to even understand what you are trying to do, as they may not have a script to follow for such a situation.

I agree with those giving the explanation that it was an OOS situation, but down the road you may well get an undeserved beating from eBay for something, so it will just even out in the end.

Message 23 of 35
latest reply

I completely agree with you. Seller doesn't need to take an out of stock defect when the buyer agrees that they would like to cancel. If ebay has to punish a seller everytime they miss a flaw and communicate well with the buyer on that issue, ebay should take a look in the mirror as to missing a flaw here and there. No grooming of the seller to take a defect for the team is necessary, especially since the seller does not know at this point how serious an out of stock defect is. Just a few of them and he will be banned for life. 

Message 24 of 35
latest reply

The thing you don’t understand is that a buyer can also be banned for life if they start canceling a lot of transactions so it is the sellers responsibility to make sure their listings are correct. 

Lets put it this way, lets say i bid an win an item from you that you described as being new but than you realize that the item is not new, i for sure will not want that item so when you contact me i will tell that yes you can cancel the transaction because the item is not new but that does not mean i am the one asking to cancel i am just giving you the option to cancel it by saying you are out of stock not that i asked you to cancel it because that is far from the truth, you made the mistake and you should take the blame or if you dont want to take the blame just leave it as is and dont even bother canceling and just pay the final value fees because this is what is all about sellers wanting to recoup their final value fees.

Message 25 of 35
latest reply

Everything is actually working out. After the items cancelled Im giving the buyer a really good deal and shes really happy with that.

My confusion came with the invoice. It had 2 separate purchases on one invoice. Combined shipping. When I cancelled the one she requested the other one  ( with the error ) automatically canceled too. So I assumed that was fine. Well now i can relist the item and give buyer a really good deal. And fair deal. She is very pleased

Message 26 of 35
latest reply

I would like to point out this because its probably not common.

1) Buyer won a bid 4 days ago. That is a very nice item, no issues,  and had other bids. I did not recieve payment intitially because.....

2) Buyer was waiting for another auction to end and won ( 2 days later ) She  was waiting to pay for the first item because she wanted a total with combined shipping. Absolutely fine. Makes sense!

3) it was the 2nd auction that she won that a problem was discovered, just moments before the auction ended. Because that item had a problem she decided she wanted to cancel both auctions and I was  fine with that arrangement. Even though the first auction she won was perfect, no problems whatesoever, I agreed to cancel. I did not request she cancel the good auction. She did and we were both fine w that.

4)  Now she would like to take me up on one of my initial offers . Something I offered to make it right and whole. 

We are working together and hopefully in the end it will work out great for her. Im not at all trying to run from from any fees that may occure because of my negligence. 

Thanks all! i hope my detailed explanation of what happened is clear and makes sense.

Message 27 of 35
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

I completely agree with you. Seller doesn't need to take an out of stock defect when the buyer agrees that they would like to cancel. If ebay has to punish a seller everytime they miss a flaw and communicate well with the buyer on that issue, ebay should take a look in the mirror as to missing a flaw here and there. No grooming of the seller to take a defect for the team is necessary, especially since the seller does not know at this point how serious an out of stock defect is. Just a few of them and he will be banned for life. 

Ebay wants buyers and sellers to work things out among themselves.  This buyer and seller did.  Just like the seller who contacted me as on how I wanted to proceed.  We worked it out.  I did not see why this seller should be punished for a mistake.

Now this is quite different than a seller who lists an auction for 7 days with no minimum and then says oops it was broken.

I am talking about a seller who lists something that is obviously incorrectly priced.  $50 instead of $500.  It happened to me.  I bought it.  Seller contacted me.  I was not going to take advantage of her obvious typo.

This seller made an honest mistake.  Her buyer is willing to just let it go.  Nothing wrong with that.

It would make for a much better place here if sellers and buyers worked together rather than against each other.

Message 28 of 35
latest reply

@oscargrey wrote:

Everything is actually working out. After the items cancelled Im giving the buyer a really good deal and shes really happy with that.

My confusion came with the invoice. It had 2 separate purchases on one invoice. Combined shipping. When I cancelled the one she requested the other one  ( with the error ) automatically canceled too. So I assumed that was fine. Well now i can relist the item and give buyer a really good deal. And fair deal. She is very pleased

I'm very happy this worked out well for you, OP!  It sounds like your buyer is pleased as well; that is great, too!

Message 29 of 35
latest reply

OP, you might cause more issues than not if you call CS over this.  Don't worry.

You learned a lot from this, but most importantly, you have handled this situation with your buyer just magnificently.  She is pleased and that is no small accomplishment!

Hats off to you~~a great job on your part, I congratulate you!rainbowwine_glassbirthdayunicorn

Message 30 of 35
latest reply