cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auction ended w bid but need to cancel

Hi,

Yuck. I had a listing end with bids. 10 min before auction closed I noticed a big error in my listing. 

Entirely my fault! I offered the buyer a huge discount but she would rather cancel and I don't blame her. How do I cancel the auction after it closes with bids? Btw she had bid on 2 separate listings and won both and now wants to cancel both. Im fine with that but how to go about it?

Also I understand  there are fees attached and thats fine with me

Thanks

Message 1 of 35
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

Re: Auction ended w bid but need to cancel

The correct step now is to forget about that now... it's past, move on... taking care to proof read the listing details prior to hitting a 'submit' button.

Everyone here has made errors in the past, even the non human eBay bots. 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 13 of 35
latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

Go into your sold items, then find the listing, and see where it says "print shipping label"?

Underneath that, click on "more actions" and go to cancel transaction.

When you cancel, put in "Buyer asked me to cancel the transaction" (this is very important. This way, you will not get a defect on your account. Too many of those can cost you your selling abilities)

Since the buyer asked you to cancel after you offered to discount them, this scenario fits into that and you won't get defects.

Message 2 of 35
latest reply

Great it worked. thanks!
Message 3 of 35
latest reply

Actually, though, this doesn't fit into that scenario and it wasn't a true Buyer asked to cancel.  Buyer didn't change mind and ask to cancel.  You asked the buyer if they wanted to cancel because you had an error in the listing.  Since it was your error, you were technically out of stock.  Out of stock does give you a seller defect, but this wasn't the buyer's fault, it was yours.  

Many buyers are tired of being used a pawns by sellers to avoid getting the defect they should get~if they call Ebay and report you, which they very well could do, Ebay will know that this was falsely filed.  

Message 4 of 35
latest reply

How do you come to that conclusion? 

Your story of the events is speculation.... 'novel', indeed the OP does not explicitly define, but it's clear enough to dismiss what ends up causing more accusations to start flying around here.

Message 5 of 35
latest reply

Maybe i can call ebay and have them rcorrect it for me. Im mot trying to avoid  fees. I made a bad mistake in listing .  . Makes sense buyer shouldnt be to blame. As a buyer ive had to work w sellers mistakes before as well ( i have another account and buy way more than i sell ) as a seller ive never encountered this before

Message 6 of 35
latest reply

@irinahat wrote:

Go into your sold items, then find the listing, and see where it says "print shipping label"?

Underneath that, click on "more actions" and go to cancel transaction.

When you cancel, put in "Buyer asked me to cancel the transaction" (this is very important. This way, you will not get a defect on your account. Too many of those can cost you your selling abilities)

Since the buyer asked you to cancel after you offered to discount them, this scenario fits into that and you won't get defects.

Just for your information OP, this was bad advice by this poster, and unethical as well.

When you make a mistake you should own up to that mistake, which you seemed willing to do, The proper course of action would be to cancel for "out of stock", which would earn you a "defect". After just a 3-4 (maybe less even) of these defects your account can fall below standard and your selling privileges will be jeopardized, so try not to make these mistakes often.

In my opinion, it's important to maintain integrity and play by the rules, not find loopholes to circumvent discipline due to irresponsibility.

Message 7 of 35
latest reply

I agree. I didnt realize i was seeking out a loophole to get out of something . Buyer messaged me and said she wanted to cancel all her winning bids after i contacted her w my listing  error I then offered some options to make it right.  She requested after that that I cancel both her wins , even the good item that she won  2 days prior. That item is good and had  lots of bids and Im totally fine w her request.  I just wanted to know how to cancel auctions after auctions closed w bids

Message 8 of 35
latest reply

Right. I am owning up to my mistake totally 100%.
Message 9 of 35
latest reply

@oscargrey wrote:

I agree. I didnt realize i was seeking out a loophole to get out of something . Buyer messaged me and said she wanted to cancel all her winning bids after i contacted her w my listing  error I then offered some options to make it right.  She requested after that that I cancel both her wins , even the good item that she won  2 days prior. That item is good and had  lots of bids and Im totally fine w her request.  I just wanted to know how to cancel auctions after auctions closed w bids

Nope! You were not seeking out a loophole. That other poster was trying to get you to use a loophole. I was merely pointing out that it would not be ethical to do so.

However I do think it would be perfectly fine to cancel the second one at "buyer request" since that one truly as at the buyers request and is not due to your error, in my opinion.

Message 10 of 35
latest reply

I think the cancel options are really vague. I would never guess that “ out of stock “ would also refer to sellers error. I it seemed if i used that option id be lying too. Its really confusing. Thanks everyone for your input! Ill call ebay tomorrow and they can walk me through the correct steps to take at this point. 

Message 11 of 35
latest reply

Ah i see! Thanks
Message 12 of 35
latest reply

The correct step now is to forget about that now... it's past, move on... taking care to proof read the listing details prior to hitting a 'submit' button.

Everyone here has made errors in the past, even the non human eBay bots. 

Message 13 of 35
latest reply

You may find yourself in trouble if you use this method to avoid a defect - as buyers receive a notification that they asked to cancel a sale and the seller complied. Buyers are also watched to see who abuses the cancellation and return policies and some have lost their MBG due to this. Many have called and complained to Ebay that they did not ask for a cancel and that the seller was OOS or cancelled because they didn't get the price they wanted ect.. and the sellers are then dinged with a defect anyway and now are on Ebay's radar.

Message 14 of 35
latest reply

@oscargrey wrote:

Maybe i can call ebay and have them rcorrect it for me. Im mot trying to avoid  fees. I made a bad mistake in listing .  . Makes sense buyer shouldnt be to blame. As a buyer ive had to work w sellers mistakes before as well ( i have another account and buy way more than i sell ) as a seller ive never encountered this before

You impress me very much as a person of integrity~it shines from you.  No worries...you didn't/weren't avoiding fees.  You didn't know~and no one knows everything~only God!  If you do call Ebay CS, just tell them that you didn't know~this was your first experience with this and you are so sorry.  If you are careful and don't usually have issues like this, you will be fine.  

On the Buying Board, one of the most popular topics (feel free to check this) is Seller cancelled using Buyer Requested, But I Didn't Request it!  It's something they really don't like and is like adding insult to injury~they not only wasted their time, they didn't get what they ordered, and then it is their fault.

Your call, of course, as to what you will do.  I understand those that want to avoid defects as they can affect your selling privileges~everyone makes their own choices~it's their right.  It's good to know what the policy is, though, and that is why I posted what I did.

Message 15 of 35
latest reply