cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are we still gonna get all these complaints about GTC?

now that you renewal is on that calendar date and not every 30 days?

YOU WILL NEVER GET CHARGED TWICE IN A MONTH FOR A GTC. NEVER.

Can the board go back to regular discussions.......

"Believe in something, even if it means sacrificing everything" Colin Kaepernick the new face of NIKE
Message 1 of 86
latest reply
85 REPLIES 85

Re: Are we still gonna get all these complaints about GTC?

@jason_incognito wrote:

Yes, you will.

My complaint about GTC is that when I take advantage of a listing special, I need to remember to go back and manually cancel all 100, 200, or 500 or I will be charged $30, $60 or $150 that I do not want to pay.

This change did not add or fix anything, because GTC was already available to any seller who wanted it.

All this change did was take away options that some sellers preferred.

Message 16 of 86
latest reply

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

As I've mentioned on here... the bigger issue with the GTC change isn't exactly the renewal schedule (That's primarily just a hassle) but the GTC algorithms are the big issue here. 

I expect as 1 month has passed, until the point we reach 90 days from this change, people will see the issues more clearly.

I've been using GTC since it was implemented and I still haven't seen the issues.  Once you folks finger it out, lemme know so I can jump on the band wagon.

I've posted on it extensively on the forums here. Your success may be due to your category of items, but as a whole, the algorithms have went down the drain since late 2017.

But I'll start with just some numbers:

EBay's stock report noted 4% decline in sales. Typically there's an increase, especially after 1st quarter as that is a busy time for many markets. 

Top Seller Market Share dropped from 40% to 27% in just one year (mid 2017-mid 2018). It is still continuing a slower decline, down to 25% now. 

All top sellers are plummeting (speaking from experience as we are #1 in our category).

2019-01-31_1401.png

Refer to included image. That's our performance, and the trend is continuing to drop year by year. 

You'd think suffering drops like that we would have lost our spot? Nope. We're still by far #1. Our competition dropped as well (Refer to included image).

We're the "most successful in our category" and had to cut our staff 1/3 of a size we once were, had to cut back to 2 less warehouses. It's not just us, the sales trends of all our competitors are to continue dropping. Our partners are feeling the same drops. While the market seen a drop on eBay at this time of year for the first time in 6+ years.

Meanwhile, the drop was only a small %, and top sellers are seeing drops ~33%. Where is the lost sales going to? Poor sellers. You know, the ones with only 80% positive feedback? Those paying additional 4% FVF for poor seller metrics? Those guys. 

Is this not something to worry about? 

I have much, much more data/research in to these issues as well. But these are some of the most problematic numbers to indicate problems.

Message 17 of 86
latest reply

Yes, we will. Just like we see complaints about sellers not being able to leave negs for buyers and having an FVF on shipping, both of which have been gone close to and over a decade now...

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 18 of 86
latest reply

Here's the only real complaint I have with GTC.  I have a few items listed that no one seems to be interested in, but I don't really want to cancel it mid month.  I've already used up the listing, might as well let it ride out the month.  But then, if I want it to not relist the next month, I have to try and remember to end that listing before it renews.  It's better to have the option of converting it to a fixed duration listing instead of having to babysit it or end it early.

Message 19 of 86
latest reply

I can see the issues already I do not need more time, My BIN solds have CRASHED since this implementation, I mean I can't tell you how bad. And the handful of listings I have allowed to run over have not picked up a single new view. That ain't gonna work for me. Oh and now I seem to be the only one having a glitch where my GTC are NOT rolling over but are frezzing when the time expires and a "SELL SIMILAR" notice gets logged next to them on my active selling page. This actually would be great if this stayed this way because they are acting and behaving like 30 day listings that have expired! The only difference is they are staying at the top of my ENDING SOONEST list and not going to ENDED!

Message 20 of 86
latest reply

I have to disagree with you on this, I still believe it is a backdoor way of accumulating fee revenue. Sellers who have thousands of listings like myself still have to end hundreds or thousands when they run out of prepaid allotment. this alone will generate millions I am sure by those who can't sit around a computer and end them all for whatever reason, like we all have a life being the biggest reason.

Message 21 of 86
latest reply

I know many people were suggesting that Ebay make the GTC listings renew every month instead of every 30 days, but there are some issues with this method especially for those with no stores. If items are now going to be renewed monthly almost all sellers would benefit most to have the listings start on the first of the month. If you list an item let's say on the 25th day of the month, it will only be listed for 5 to 6 days until it renews and uses up a free listing, and or a new fee will be charged. If sellers have new inventory to list, it would make sense to only list in the first few days of the month, so you get the most exposure time for that listing. It would have been easier if Ebay renewed the listings every 31 days regardless of the month, this way people could list new items throughout the month for a full 31 days. Of course the best solution is to at the very least bring back the 30 day duration listings. I'm no mathematician, please correct me nicely if I'm wrong about this. 

Message 22 of 86
latest reply

@vintagevitals68 wrote:

.... If you list an item let's say on the 25th day of the month, it will only be listed for 5 to 6 days until it renews and uses up a free listing, and or a new fee will be charged. .... I'm no mathematician, please correct me nicely if I'm wrong about this. 

I'm sorry, but you have misunderstood this. If you list an item on the 25th day of the month, then it will relist on the 25th day of each month after that, until it sells (or the last one sells) or you end it. More info:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#good-til-ca...

Message 23 of 86
latest reply

@vintagevitals68 wrote: .... If items are now going to be renewed monthly almost all sellers would benefit most to have the listings start on the first of the month. If you list an item let's say on the 25th day of the month, it will only be listed for 5 to 6 days until it renews and uses up a free listing ... . 

I think you have misunderstood the new policy.  If you list an item on the 25th, it will renew on the 25th of the next month, not on the first of the next month.

The announcement page has several useful examples:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2019-spring/marketplace-updates.html#good-til-ca...

EDIT:  Off to the slow-typists' corner!

Message 24 of 86
latest reply

@vintagevitals68 wrote:

I know many people were suggesting that Ebay make the GTC listings renew every month instead of every 30 days, but there are some issues with this method especially for those with no stores. If items are now going to be renewed monthly almost all sellers would benefit most to have the listings start on the first of the month. If you list an item let's say on the 25th day of the month, it will only be listed for 5 to 6 days until it renews and uses up a free listing, and or a new fee will be charged. If sellers have new inventory to list, it would make sense to only list in the first few days of the month, so you get the most exposure time for that listing. It would have been easier if Ebay renewed the listings every 31 days regardless of the month, this way people could list new items throughout the month for a full 31 days. Of course the best solution is to at the very least bring back the 30 day duration listings. I'm no mathematician, please correct me nicely if I'm wrong about this. 

I don´t think that is so.  If you list a few a day your 30 day clock starts on that day.  So if you list on the 25th in a month with 30 days it will be set to roll over on the 25 of the next month.  

Message 25 of 86
latest reply

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@jeannicho22 wrote:

@zamo-zuan wrote:

@jason_incognito wrote:

As I've mentioned on here... the bigger issue with the GTC change isn't exactly the renewal schedule (That's primarily just a hassle) but the GTC algorithms are the big issue here. 

I expect as 1 month has passed, until the point we reach 90 days from this change, people will see the issues more clearly.

I've been using GTC since it was implemented and I still haven't seen the issues.  Once you folks finger it out, lemme know so I can jump on the band wagon.

I've posted on it extensively on the forums here. Your success may be due to your category of items, but as a whole, the algorithms have went down the drain since late 2017.

But I'll start with just some numbers:

EBay's stock report noted 4% decline in sales. Typically there's an increase, especially after 1st quarter as that is a busy time for many markets. 

Top Seller Market Share dropped from 40% to 27% in just one year (mid 2017-mid 2018). It is still continuing a slower decline, down to 25% now. 

All top sellers are plummeting (speaking from experience as we are #1 in our category).

2019-01-31_1401.png

Refer to included image. That's our performance, and the trend is continuing to drop year by year. 

You'd think suffering drops like that we would have lost our spot? Nope. We're still by far #1. Our competition dropped as well (Refer to included image).

We're the "most successful in our category" and had to cut our staff 1/3 of a size we once were, had to cut back to 2 less warehouses. It's not just us, the sales trends of all our competitors are to continue dropping. Our partners are feeling the same drops. While the market seen a drop on eBay at this time of year for the first time in 6+ years.

Meanwhile, the drop was only a small %, and top sellers are seeing drops ~33%. Where is the lost sales going to? Poor sellers. You know, the ones with only 80% positive feedback? Those paying additional 4% FVF for poor seller metrics? Those guys. 

Is this not something to worry about? 

I have much, much more data/research in to these issues as well. But these are some of the most problematic numbers to indicate problems.

I agree with this whole heartily. I also believe that eBay can now boast to their advertisers that listings are going to last 30 days instead of 7 or 10 days. So their ads will gain more exposure at our expense

Message 26 of 86
latest reply

@ekmadonna wrote:

I have to disagree with you on this, I still believe it is a backdoor way of accumulating fee revenue. Sellers who have thousands of listings like myself still have to end hundreds or thousands when they run out of prepaid allotment. this alone will generate millions I am sure by those who can't sit around a computer and end them all for whatever reason, like we all have a life being the biggest reason.

Did you see the Spring Seller Update that was released today?  They have made it so no listing will be charged twice in one month.

Message 27 of 86
latest reply

@nobody*s_perfect wrote:

@vintagevitals68 wrote: .... If items are now going to be renewed monthly almost all sellers would benefit most to have the listings start on the first of the month. If you list an item let's say on the 25th day of the month, it will only be listed for 5 to 6 days until it renews and uses up a free listing ... . 

I think you have misunderstood the new policy.  If you list an item on the 25th, it will renew on the 25th of the next month, not on the first of the next month.

The announcement page has several useful examples:

EDIT:  Off to the slow-typists' corner!

I am right behind you!

Message 28 of 86
latest reply

GTC BAD!! BAD BAD BAD! Don't like! Make bad stomach ache inside of eyeballs! Make whole face blushy red and want to smash BAD keyboard!! Make a vegetable salad with hardly any tomato and lots of lettuce BAD! (I honestly don't care and should be listing other than worrying about these threads anyway)
Message 29 of 86
latest reply

Yes, there are still going to be complaints because it is still unwanted by a lot of sellers, and a pain in the butt. 

I don't like paying fees.  eBay's FVF is a necessary expenditure, which I accept.  But I have always been very careful not to pay insertion fees.  Small expenses add up.  Free listings or nothing.   GTC makes that complicated.

Of course, the easiest solution would be for me to only list 50 items a month.   Is that what eBay wants?  For sellers to list LESS items on their site?  What a great policy.

Message 30 of 86
latest reply