cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just lost $10 to Paypal. Buyer purchased and decided no cancel 5 minutes later.

Buyer purchased an item and 5 minutes later sent me a cancelation request. My paypal fees of 10.28 won't be refunded. This is extremely upsetting. I get at least about 4-5 of this requests a month. I can't wait to dumb paypal now.

Message 1 of 43
latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

That doesn't start until May 7th.  So this time you should get your fees back, but in 5 days that's no longer the case.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 2 of 43
latest reply

What makes you think it will be any different with Managed Payments? That will be your only other choice (and I use the term loosely).
Message 3 of 43
latest reply

@pink.fish.rule wrote:
What makes you think it will be any different with Managed Payments? That will be your only other choice (and I use the term loosely).

Have you read the payments terms of use page?  Maybe you can learn a bit more if you actually read the policy?  Here is a link to the payments terms of use page.  Look under #4 section then the credits paragraph.

https://pages.ebay.com/payment/2.0/terms.html  You can also read info shared by eBay staff in this thread

https://community.ebay.com/t5/Managed-Payments/Managed-Payments-and-Paypal/m-p/29779797#M79

Good Luck Selling!

Message 4 of 43
latest reply

@dtexley3 wrote:

That doesn't start until May 7th.  So this time you should get your fees back, but in 5 days that's no longer the case.

And that's the problem...in 5 days a new doom and gloom sets in when we see a not as described case, return of any kind, or cancellation. 

Absorbing this loss as a "cost of doing business" is straight up baloney. 

Now ebay sellers are going to scramble to try to get into managed payments. 

Message 5 of 43
latest reply

**General reply**

Don't get me wrong - I HATE this change with Paypal, but do other payment processors refund transaction fees if a purchase is cancelled? I really have no idea. If they do, then Paypal has been behind the times and they are finally catching up.

AND...if Paypal is going to do that, then they need to get rid of the 30 cent (or five cent for micro) part of the fee and just go to a flat percentage like other payment processors.

Just my two cents FWIW

The easier you are to offend the easier you are to control.

We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did. - Thomas Sowell
Message 6 of 43
latest reply

@ersatz_sobriquet wrote:

@dtexley3 wrote:

And that's the problem...in 5 days a new doom and gloom sets in when we see a not as described case, return of any kind, or cancellation. 

Absorbing this loss as a "cost of doing business" is straight up baloney. 

Now ebay sellers are going to scramble to try to get into managed payments. 

When the '' cost of doing business ''  is just a nicer sounding  phrase  for getting unfairly  ripped off  then it's time to call foul .  The powers at be get away with doing  this stuff  because they can . There needs to be a way to make it so they can't ,,  rather than  going  broke . Tulips 

Message 7 of 43
latest reply

I've read your posts before, and you always seem to assume you're the only one to read the policy pages.

What's with that?

There is nothing in ebay's MP policies that states they will refund the processing fees for cancellations and returns.
Message 8 of 43
latest reply

Don't get me wrong - I HATE this change with Paypal, but do other payment processors refund transaction fees if a purchase is cancelled? I really have no idea. If they do, then Paypal has been behind the times and they are finally catching up. southern sweet tea 

So  I would like to ask them ,, when does this kind of stuff stop ? I think we all know the answer ,,   it never will . As long as sellers keep their mouths closed and keep  absorbing the costs   it will continue on and on . Then the day will come that one side has made all the profits and the other side has gone out of business . Tulips 

Message 9 of 43
latest reply

@turquoisetulips wrote:

Don't get me wrong - I HATE this change with Paypal, but do other payment processors refund transaction fees if a purchase is cancelled? I really have no idea. If they do, then Paypal has been behind the times and they are finally catching up. southern sweet tea 

So  I would like to ask them ,, when does this kind of stuff stop ? I think we all know the answer ,,   it never will . As long as sellers keep their mouths closed and keep  absorbing the costs   it will continue on and on . Then the day will come that one side has made all the profits and the other side has gone out of business . Tulips 

I've seen a lot of sellers I know moving to local facebook sales lately....

Message 10 of 43
latest reply

Have you spoken to a PayPal rep about this fee? after all the buyer is the one that cancelled not you so why are you getting stuck with it? Just yesterday i spoke with a rep about this issue and i asked about the transaction fee and they stated if the buyer does what you said and cancels they will be charged the fee!
Message 11 of 43
latest reply

@extrememobility wrote:
Have you spoken to a PayPal rep about this fee? after all the buyer is the one that cancelled not you so why are you getting stuck with it? Just yesterday i spoke with a rep about this issue and i asked about the transaction fee and they stated if the buyer does what you said and cancels they will be charged the fee!

I think the Paypal CS agent may not know what they were talking about.  I don't see that in the policy as published by Paypal.  Would be nice if Paypal held the seller harmless when the buyer cancels or asks to cancel before the item is shipped, but I'm not holding my breath for them to do this.

Member of the Grumpy Old Man crew
Message 12 of 43
latest reply

So why can't PayPal or other crooks just hire a bunch of CS from the Philippines or wherever and just have them buy things off eBay then cancel immediately and make tons of money off of us poor slobs?

Message 13 of 43
latest reply

so buyer gets money back,seller doesn't,kind of a double standard
Message 14 of 43
latest reply

i went to PP and this is straight from the help  page:

If a refund I send is accepted, are the fees from the original transaction credited to my account?

You receive credit for your original transaction fees based on the kind of refund you issue.

• When you issue a full refund using the Issue Refund link on the Transaction Details page, we credit your full variable transaction Fee
  • When you issue a partial refund, we credit a percentage of the variable transaction fee, based on the amount of the refund.

Message 15 of 43
latest reply