cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any credits or help in the stimulus package for us Ebay sellers?

I was just wondering if the proposed stimulus package may offer anything to us Ebay sellers. Could we be considered gig workers? Is it viewed as a legitimate job? Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 28
latest reply
27 REPLIES 27

Re: Any credits or help in the stimulus package for us Ebay sellers?

https://community.ebay.com/t5/COVID-19-Community-Hub/COVID-19-Small-Business-Government-Support-Reso...

Everyone has options. Just be sure the best option is right for you.
Message 2 of 28
latest reply

Not to be too cynical but... ".... helps those who help themselves".

Those who assume we will receive no help, and plan accordingly, will come out on top.

Message 3 of 28
latest reply

@goldrushfinds wrote:

I was just wondering if the proposed stimulus package may offer anything to us Ebay sellers. Could we be considered gig workers? Is it viewed as a legitimate job? Any thoughts?

From what I have read, it seems that filing a 2018  tax form may be key to getting/not getting stimulated.

Message 4 of 28
latest reply

Thats not very nice, they were asking a valid question. You know some of aren't big volume sellers and don't have high incomes, so we rely some of what we make here. And BTW outside of any stimulus money, my question was if EBAY would consider lowering fees (not waiving all of them).

Message 5 of 28
latest reply

I have already decided for myself. If Ebay does not make a free subscription to the store (10000), I will unfortunately temporarily close it. I wait until the evening of March 31. To suggest that you move your subscription payment a month in advance is bullying. Where will I get money in a month if sales are small?

Message 6 of 28
latest reply

The self employed should qualify for unemployment under CARES, as far as I've read. lis there's an additional $600 weekly benefit for 13 weeks which adds to $7800. But check with your state's EDD website regarding self employment.
Message 7 of 28
latest reply

A lot of people who sell on Ebay may think of themselves as self-employed when in fact the state & U.S. Govt. consider what they do as a ---HOBBY---A lot depends on if you sell enough to file a tax return.
BEST of LUCK to ALL---STAY SAFE
Message 8 of 28
latest reply

Do you file a tax return and do you include your income from your eBay sales? If so, yes you are entitled to funds. If you don’t include your eBay income you would not be entitled to any funds for loss of revenue. There are many who sell here and make a living selling here yet they don’t claim it on their taxes or don’t file at all. Maybe they are below the threshold to get a 1099 from PayPal and so they’ve never paid taxes on that income. Those people won’t receive funds beyond the stimulus checks that everyone who makes under $100,000 will get. 

Message 9 of 28
latest reply

The US gov’t doesn’t consider it a “hobby” if you have over $20,000 in gross sales. 

Message 10 of 28
latest reply

Read my post again---Maybe you will get it the second time around----Its discouraging that no matter what somebody posts on these boards that somebody always has to contradict others posts with their ---2 CENTS---when most of there 2 cents is not even worth a penny
Message 11 of 28
latest reply

If anyone has a link to the application. Please post it. We've been on lock down in California for over 3 weeks. In those 3 weeks. I would have visited over 20 Auctions and Swap meets. Numerous yard sales and thrift stores also. You can't make money if you have nothing to sell. The Family eBay sellers are just as Unemployed as the Waiter

Message 12 of 28
latest reply

Where did you get your information from? I do taxes and deal with agents all the time. NO State or Federal Agent. Has ever called eBay or something they Tax a Hobby. In All the years I've been doing this. I've never heard that. Did someone at the Food Court tell you this? This is not a time to start portraying  Important information as Fact. When all it is GOSSIP

Message 13 of 28
latest reply

It is Better to File and not Get. Than to NOT file and REGRET

Message 14 of 28
latest reply

@goldrushfinds   Its a good question ... we file a joint tax return so we will receive what the Government will send.  The tax return already includes the Schedule C for the retail sales that includes internet sales. 

I view selling on eBay as a business, it's  set up as a sole proprietorship and receives a 1099K annually from one source (PayPal).  I have not researched if that is allowed or not for government relief but I can say without hesitation that Covid-19 has negatively affected that business.  Sales are not the issue but acquiring inventory is and THAT is directly related to quarantines due to Coronavirus.

Regards,
Mr. Lincoln - Community Mentor
Message 15 of 28
latest reply