cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

An Abrupt and Complete Stop in Sales: Why? What's Going On?

An Abrupt and Complete Stop in Sales: Why? What's Going On?

The baby needs formula!

The light bill needs to be paid!

The mortgage needs to be paid!

The cupboards are getting bear!

..........................................................I do not have time for these abrupt and complete stop in sales.   Sheesh!

PS:  I am not referring to this acct. 

Message 1 of 179
latest reply
178 REPLIES 178

Re: An Abrupt and Complete Stop in Sales: Why? What's Going On?

I ask the same ???? 1 sell in a month, I lowered my prices again today, My ???? is eBay trying to close its doors, (shuttting down)
Message 151 of 179
latest reply

It has been a pretty slow year for me too.  eBay is slow, sure, but I had cut out one of my spring shows because it had gotten way too expensive.  They went from one day to two days, doubling table costs and adding lodging costs, but neither my revenue nor profit increased by anything close.  I gave it a shot for two previous shows and quit.  So I was down to one local show and I sold $20 on a $50 table.  Ouch.

Anyway, toys have been in a really bad spot for a few years.  I buy most of my inventory from retail sales these days.  It's cheaper than buying from a distributor, with none of the downsides!  No lock-in, no restock fees, no damaged goods, no lousy assortments, no shipping fees, no misinformation, no delays.  Sure, there's tax, because nobody has their act together on resale exemptions, but it's a small price to pay.

But...since this is the real stores selling stuff cheap, it means I've got to sit on it to be able to make retail.  But...I was already doing that, so what's the difference?

The situation with toys is weird.  Some might say it's a "saturated market" but that's not quite true.  Collectors are noisy about how they can't find anything in stores.  Hell, I can't find much in stores.  But here's the thing.  Distribution there is like distribution here ten years ago.  Back then, we were very slow to receive waves and sometimes missed them.  I learned to jump on stuff when I saw it because I wouldn't have another chance.  Now it's more like waiting for cargo to wash up on shore.  Another lower layer of distribution hell.

Unfortunately, not having been conditioned by the experience, these people think they can still just wait and pick stuff up on deep discount months later.  They're finding out it doesn't work that way.  And they're angry, posting manifestos about the evils of scalping, because they just don't see what's really happening.  They'll learn or they'll continue paying aftermarket premiums.

Anyway, I've scheduled more local shows for the second half of the year, so hopefully that'll pull my numbers up.  Shows have been, on a revenue basis, consistently better than eBay.  I have sold more over a weekend sometimes than in six months on eBay.  The problem has been skyrocketing rent.  It's no worse than eBay, except that it's unconditional.  eBay's greed, on the other hand, chokes off sales so they take their high fees out of a trickle of sales, which would be self correcting if they had a clue.

Message 152 of 179
latest reply

@rktoyandhobby wrote:

It has been a pretty slow year for me too.  eBay is slow, sure, but I had cut out one of my spring shows because it had gotten way too expensive.  They went from one day to two days, doubling table costs and adding lodging costs, but neither my revenue nor profit increased by anything close.  I gave it a shot for two previous shows and quit.  So I was down to one local show and I sold $20 on a $50 table.  Ouch.

Anyway, toys have been in a really bad spot for a few years.  I buy most of my inventory from retail sales these days.  It's cheaper than buying from a distributor, with none of the downsides!  No lock-in, no restock fees, no damaged goods, no lousy assortments, no shipping fees, no misinformation, no delays.  Sure, there's tax, because nobody has their act together on resale exemptions, but it's a small price to pay.

But...since this is the real stores selling stuff cheap, it means I've got to sit on it to be able to make retail.  But...I was already doing that, so what's the difference?

The situation with toys is weird.  Some might say it's a "saturated market" but that's not quite true.  Collectors are noisy about how they can't find anything in stores.  Hell, I can't find much in stores.  But here's the thing.  Distribution there is like distribution here ten years ago.  Back then, we were very slow to receive waves and sometimes missed them.  I learned to jump on stuff when I saw it because I wouldn't have another chance.  Now it's more like waiting for cargo to wash up on shore.  Another lower layer of distribution hell.

Unfortunately, not having been conditioned by the experience, these people think they can still just wait and pick stuff up on deep discount months later.  They're finding out it doesn't work that way.  And they're angry, posting manifestos about the evils of scalping, because they just don't see what's really happening.  They'll learn or they'll continue paying aftermarket premiums.

Anyway, I've scheduled more local shows for the second half of the year, so hopefully that'll pull my numbers up.  Shows have been, on a revenue basis, consistently better than eBay.  I have sold more over a weekend sometimes than in six months on eBay.  The problem has been skyrocketing rent.  It's no worse than eBay, except that it's unconditional.  eBay's greed, on the other hand, chokes off sales so they take their high fees out of a trickle of sales, which would be self correcting if they had a clue.

Well one thing that doesn't lie is the "Top Seller Market Share". We've observed multiple categories go from 40% to around 25%. This is extremely troubling.

Considering there's a correlation with more than one category, it seems this is intentional. 

Some might say this is a good thing as it gives the impression that other sellers are getting sales, but to be clear, this is a very problematic warning. As the top sellers are basically a metric of the "most successful seller" you could be on eBay. If top sellers are dropping, then the potential for everyone in the category is dropping too. 

Furthermore, it's also a sign that no matter what they do, sellers can no longer do anything to "stand out" from the crowd. Clear paths to "healthy competition" are core for any "healthy marketplace". If the most capable sellers on eBay can't even stand out from the crowd, what chance does anyone have? 

Finally, the question is "where is the traffic going". If top sellers are dropping, and smaller sellers (as you can see reported on this forum) are dropping, where exactly are the sales going...? From any research we can do (with Terapeak/etc), it seems the only to be making out well are new sellers or sellers with poorer metrics. AKA, a lack of quality control.

Without things like quality control, or a path to healthy competition, what are sellers supposed to do if they want to put in work to become a top seller on eBay...?

Right now it's frustrating because many sellers are seeing drops, and there's no path to improvement. Not even any advice or actionable suggestions from Senior Managers...

Message 153 of 179
latest reply

Management would have you believe that promoted listings and seller-initiated offers are the answer.  I did 3% promotions, with very little impact on hits, and offers of 25% below retail, with no takers.  Free shipping, when I offered it, made no difference, and it's exceedingly rare, like less than once per year, that combined shipping discounts come into play.

Even when I come here looking to buy something, searches that used to, and should, return hundreds of hits are lucky to break 20.  It really strikes me as a marketplace with more and more stale merchandise (mine included) that sellers have just given up on pricing right because it has no effect on how long something takes to sell.

Message 154 of 179
latest reply

I totally get what you're saying, but the fact is ebay intentionally sets us all up for failure. Someone clicks on one of my listings, then ebay shows buyers the same identical item from other sellers right inside my own listings.

So here I'm paying for a store subscription that doesn't even represent the products I sell at all.

Comparison of identical products has no place on people's listings. That should be in search results, thats what search engines are for. How many times have you walked into Target and saw an advertisement for Walmart? Never.

But this is what ebay is doing to all of us. The reason they do it is obvious too. They want to force us to drop our prices to nothing so they can get more sales and collect more fees, while sellers literally lose money on every sale they make.

To make matters worse, ebay allows mega sellers to sell their items for less than what it costs to sell and ship them. This is downright scandalous.

Look at the example you gave yourself. Notice there is a listing for that iridium runners game for $1 plus $2.75 shipping. It is literally impossible to sell any video game at that price without intentionally losing money. ebay and paypal collectively take 16% of the entire sale, then it costs a minimum of $3.50 and an average of $3.75 to ship one game. Keep in mind, you can't ship video games media mail, they must be shipped first-class.

So it costs over $4.00 at a bare minimum to sell and ship a single video game, and here there's a sellers selling this game for less than that. This is totally unacceptable that ebay would even allow this. You have people here intentionally trying to lose money, why I don't know. Besides ruining themselves, they're ruining it for everyone else too.

ebay's idea of being competitive is selling items for less than it what it costs to actually ship it.

To add insult to injury, ebay cuts its advertising, forcing sellers to pay for promoted listings otherwise they get no traffic at all.

All being said, if being competitive on ebay means selling everything for less than the shipping costs or the final value fees, then what is the point of selling here at all?

As if the economy wasn't bad enough as it is, and ebay makes it impossible for us to make a sale. I think the real answer is having my own website, ebay is in ruins.

Message 155 of 179
latest reply

@gamersbaystore wrote:

Even in the U.S. the pension my mom receives is not the norm. Most retired individuals here live on an average of $1,600 a month or less with social security, about the same as your dad's income. Our 72 year old neighbor gets just $1,100 a month.

My mom got more because of a private pension offered by her employer, which almost no Americans have access to.

I made close to $3,000 a month last year, and it was barely enough to cut the bills each month. I don't see how anyone can survive today. Our money is practically worthless, at least in the U.S anyway.

I'd still be making that $3,000 a month too if the economy hadn't crapped out again. Trump's tax cut gave the economy a boost for one lousy year, at the cost of $1.4 trillion dollars in debt! Now our money is practically worthless because of all that debt, out of control inflation.

Inflation at this time is 1.5%.  You're probably too young to remember 1979 and 1980 when inflation was between 12% and 14% - I recall prices rising so quickly that products in the grocery store would have 4 and 5 price stickers on top of each other.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 156 of 179
latest reply

I agree that sales tax is having an impact - at this time.  @sharingtheland - why I think it hasn't affected Amazon as much is that it's viewed less as a 'bargain' site and more as a 'practical necessities' site.  My sales on Poshmark really got hit when they rolled out sales tax there because it's basically a bargain site, and suddenly those bargains aren't bargains anymore. Same with eBay - my sales are OK here, but I sell stuff you mostly can't find anywhere else and my prices are pretty low.  FWIW, I think it'll settle out as people get used to having to pay sales tax, but B&M stores may gain a little due to this.

When you dine with leopards, it is wise to check the menu lest you find yourself as the main course.

#freedomtoread
#readbannedbooks
Message 157 of 179
latest reply

I did an inventory last week and found that out of the 510 listings listed i only had 470 showing on Ebay.  The other 40 maps were listed in my ebay and even had watchers but hey were not showing live on Ebay.

Message 158 of 179
latest reply

@rktoyandhobby wrote:

Management would have you believe that promoted listings and seller-initiated offers are the answer.  I did 3% promotions, with very little impact on hits, and offers of 25% below retail, with no takers.  Free shipping, when I offered it, made no difference, and it's exceedingly rare, like less than once per year, that combined shipping discounts come into play.

Even when I come here looking to buy something, searches that used to, and should, return hundreds of hits are lucky to break 20.  It really strikes me as a marketplace with more and more stale merchandise (mine included) that sellers have just given up on pricing right because it has no effect on how long something takes to sell.

Yep. 

In our testing, sponsored listings DOES make a difference. But it introduces new problems as well.

You can't possibly keep the cheapest price on eBay while also doing sponsored listings. And because of this, even if you're the cheapest price, that doesn't mean you'll show up well in search, because search does NOT always show cheapest items.

There's not really a solution for "showing the item + the sponsored listing" and showing up in search twice, because if they *only* showed your sponsored listings it wouldn't be fair (as you'd always pay additional fees).

There's not really a solution to both show "cheapest items" as well as "sponsored items" without taking additional "natural search results" off the page, and that leads to a decline in performance of search, as search is being cluttered up by doubles and/or items that are not the most attractive but appearing simply because they're sponsored.

I mean, these are not issues that could be balanced. They're straight up design issues. Ones that I've been bringing to eBay's attention since they were first announced over a year ago (and shared the issues with Senior Management who visited our location in person).

I'm not sure what else we could do, but it's inevitable for these things to cause problems. And rather than solve the issues, eBay is doubling-down on them and claiming they are "some of the highest seller rated features" (based on what statistics or surveys?) and that they are "so popular that they're going to make an even higher tier of Premium listings".

Adding problems on top of more problems... stacking more design issues on top of a system that is already flawed.  

In response to your last paragraph, I mean why would sellers bother pricing right at this point? It doesn't really grant you an advantage anymore when you have the best price point and sellers with Sponsored Listings are appearing on top of you, and/or you are not appearing consistently despite being #1 sales rank according to eBay's analyze tool. How do you even "price right" when you have to pay X% for sponsorships? If you go 3% sponsorship fee, that means you're either decreasing your profits by 3% (which is not realistic for any company doing their own shipping/handling), or increasing price by 3%.

Any sellers who have sold new items in competitive categories knows eBay is ruthless and you already are skimming profits as close as possible. So there's not much choice. Either you cut staff to be able to pay for that 3%, or you increase the price. Does that *really* help your listing become more visible? Nobody will ever know. 

And because of this design, eBay's search has to try to include BOTH sides. Meaning it no longer is focusing on selling the buyer the "best offerings".

Message 159 of 179
latest reply

Yes my mom said inflation was really bad during those years. But people also had jobs back then, and today there are no jobs. 

But regardless of the current state of the economy, I don't see ebay as being a viable place to earn a living anymore either. I'm going to try and get my own e-commerce site up and running as soon as I possibly can.

I already have traffic too, I dont even need ebay's traffic at all. I could add links to 600+ videos on just one of my gaming channels and drive traffic to my store here 24/7. But its pointless because ebay tells all my buyers not to buy from me at all.

Wish I had never come back here and cant wait to get out.

Message 160 of 179
latest reply

If that were true and IT people were in on it,  this would be a very difficult secret to keep for long.  My opinion ebay just has too many sellers listing the same exact items trying to sell to an ever decreasing number of buyers.

Message 161 of 179
latest reply

And yet ANOTHER thread just popped up from a buyer not able to make payment for a purchase they really need. This is getting almost comical. How can eBay think they are doing a GOOD thing, even for themselves? And yet we get silence from ebay on this issue.

At this point it's pretty obvious that ebay is thwarting sales with purpose. Their purpose? PROMOTE your listings, then MAYBE you'll be seen every now and then. I really wish this would get more attention. Ina needs to write an article every day until ebay does something.

Message 162 of 179
latest reply

Why would ebay or a seller feel this would be enticing to buyers?  If I scroll past you it is because I'm not interested in this item but maybe would be the next one.  If I have to scroll past you again, then I become annoyed. If it keeps happening I block you.  There is already enough to have to get through without seeing each item twice.

Message 163 of 179
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

If that were true and IT people were in on it,  this would be a very difficult secret to keep for long.  My opinion ebay just has too many sellers listing the same exact items trying to sell to an ever decreasing number of buyers.

Why would the IT people be on it when what he explains literally fits the design of a control algorithm?

If we look at the other data provided by eBay, the patterns of the visibility/sales graphs also fit the same design. 

I mean, the patterns are hard to miss in our category of auto parts. Most of our business comes before 2PM PST from mechanics. Is it a coincidence that days that sell really poorly tend to have a half a days worth of sales between 8-midnight PST? 

Likewise, is it a coincidence that days that surpass your monthly average" by noon, somehow get absolutely no traffic for the rest of the day?

And continue that with volatile rollercoasters where every time you have some good days and your sales go up, you have a drop the next few days?

These are all the symptoms of a control algorithm. I mean, I could trigger our in-house software to do an update of our inventory through the eBay API and it would create similar looking graphs as it controlled/limited the load... with technical experience the patterns look extremely familiar. 

Message 164 of 179
latest reply

@kataggr-44 wrote:

Why would ebay or a seller feel this would be enticing to buyers?  If I scroll past you it is because I'm not interested in this item but maybe would be the next one.  If I have to scroll past you again, then I become annoyed. If it keeps happening I block you.  There is already enough to have to get through without seeing each item twice.

Exactly. 

This is one of the multitude of ways the Sponsored Listing system is flawed.

Which makes it insane that eBay is claiming it's "working out so well" and it's "one of the highest feedback from sellers from any system they introduced".

Us sellers know the truth. We see what has happened to eBay's search since it was introduced, and for both buyers AND sellers it's not good.

We also know better than anyone how "happy" we are with this feature. You can surf these forums to see for yourself. How often have you seen *anyone* saying "Wow these new sponsored listings are AWESOME!"? 

Yet that's what eBay claims they're being told. Not only how great they are, but that sellers are "begging for more"!

How many of you were surveyed about Sponsored Listings...?

Message 165 of 179
latest reply