cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Returns are Now Priority Mail?

I ship many items with USPS Ground Advantage, often with free Shipping for the buyer.

I used to get returns via USPS First Class Mail.

But now it appears that returns are coming via Priority Mail ever since the switch from First Class to Ground Advantage by USPS.

So an 8 oz item that I offer free shipping on used to generate a return First Class return label at about $4.50.

Now returns cost $9 - $10 (depending on location) for Priority Mail.

Why eBay are you shipping returns Priority Mail when the item is listed at 8 oz and is shipped to the buyer via Ground Advantage?  My return costs just doubled, thanks....

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Do you print your labels through ebay?   I've not had a return since ground advantage started to check, but my return labels have never cost me more than my initial label.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

No, I ship through a third party, Shipworks.  But it shouldn't matter, as the item should be returned by the same service it was sent with, I would think...

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Do you have the correct weight & dimensions entered on the listing?

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

I use an outside third party for shipping.  I am able to generate a label through the third party, send a link to the buyer (who does not have to sign into the third party website) so they can download and print.  I am charged the same as the label I originally printed.  Furthermore, I get charged a fee of .25 if the label is downloaded, but it expires after two weeks if the buyer does nothing and there is no charge to my account.  I've never had a problem.

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Yet another reason I do not offer free returns or free shipping, I think returns this holiday season will be a nightmare!, I Hope I'm Wrong!

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

yes, the correct weight anyway...

Message 7 of 19
latest reply

We have the same issue here and can not find any solution. Product / listing details set as 8 oz but return label was automatically given Priority to buyer. Anyone knows the reason?

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

According to the help files: (when you use Ebay return label)

When the buyer is returning the item to you, the cost of the label will be charged to your account once it’s scanned by the carrier. We may ask you to accept a billing agreement to authorize payment for these kinds of charges. If the buyer doesn’t use the return shipping label, you are not charged for the cost of the label.

Any time you use an eBay return shipping label, eBay will automatically select the cheapest return option for your item.

In some instances, return shipping charges are estimated rather than based on the actual weight of the package. These charges are based on rates negotiated by eBay, and are typically less than what you would pay the carrier for the same item.

If the expected shipping charges exceed the expected refund or the refund value of a replacement or exchange, an eBay return shipping label won’t be available.

https://www.ebay.com/help/selling/managing-returns-refunds/return-shipping-sellers?id=4703&st=3&pos=...

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@partsknight wrote:

Product / listing details set as 8 oz but return label was automatically given Priority to buyer.

Anyone knows the reason? 

Are you shipping @partsknight with labels you bought outside of eBay?

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Not true. I use eBay 99% of the time to purchase shipping labels. I have gotten MANY changed my mind returns - which are paid by the buyer as I don't offer free returns, and the last three this week, 11/17/23 were all returned via Priority Mail RTN service. One customer asked how I arrived at giving only x amount back and I told her we try our hardest to add any and all info about the item, measurements, details that help in determining if this is the right item to avoid mistake purchases/ returns. I also told them I noticed the return postage was Priority Mail - expensive. They paid $18 instead of $7 or less. I will not eat these costs and I will recommend sellers not offer free returns because of this **bleep**. I really believe that behind closed doors eBay made a deal with USPS to send all items via Priority Mail. eBay seems to be the "Teacher's Pet" with the government, collecting all taxes like we are children and can't get our pros to do our taxes for us. Also in the business side - eBay collecting the taxes allows eBay to take our cash flow and use it for themselves to increase net worth, report more gross revenue. We also know that USPS is and has been in the red - they have the best routes and everything - no reason for bleeding money, but they do in order to keep getting subsidized by our tax dollars. You can see by my example here that eBay has now increased USPS revenue on one order by over 100%!!!! Someone up there in the comments showed that the increased revenue on a large item is now 300% or more. And will these customers come back if they have to pay this? Oh and when did we find out eBay is charging this surplus waste of postage? Once we get the package back and demand us to give the customer their refund. They really think they can get away with this!!! Shocking!

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Well, perhaps eBay got tired of watching sellers make money on shipping, and now want to add that to their revenue stream. I would imagine that little work tweak "(estimate") in their policy has become another cash cow for them.

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

Not to mention USPS rates will be going up close to 6% after the 1st of the year.

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

You forgot that most USPS rates will be going up another 6% after the first of the year. PS:  The USPS does not get tax subsidies from us. They haven't since 1979 after Congress passed a law stating they had to break even.

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Heck, eBay already gets a commission on the postage. If they force returns to go Priority their percentage take will be even greater.

Message 15 of 19
latest reply