cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All Returns are Now Priority Mail?

I ship many items with USPS Ground Advantage, often with free Shipping for the buyer.

I used to get returns via USPS First Class Mail.

But now it appears that returns are coming via Priority Mail ever since the switch from First Class to Ground Advantage by USPS.

So an 8 oz item that I offer free shipping on used to generate a return First Class return label at about $4.50.

Now returns cost $9 - $10 (depending on location) for Priority Mail.

Why eBay are you shipping returns Priority Mail when the item is listed at 8 oz and is shipped to the buyer via Ground Advantage?  My return costs just doubled, thanks....

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Ebay has changed what they are doing now.. if you have automatically handle returns, ebay sends the buyer a return label, Priority Mail.. Not the cheapest way anymore. I checked and there is nothing where a seller has agreed or been informated about this change. I spoke with Ebay, the Customer Service Rep could not find where the policy had been changed. Ebay is just doing it and charging us Retail Return Priority Cost and they are pocketing the discount they get.. Nice to do to their sellers!!! 

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

Exactly.. They get 10 to 14 % on shipping cost, when priority they get more, but here is another angle for ebay, they are charging sellers priority mail "retail", not ebay's discount for returns.. That means ebay is getting the discount and pocketing it while taking advantage of their sellers.. 

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

@greenbraindesign wrote:

Exactly.. They get 10 to 14 % on shipping cost, when priority they get more, but here is another angle for ebay, they are charging sellers priority mail "retail", not ebay's discount for returns.. That means ebay is getting the discount and pocketing it while taking advantage of their sellers.. 

This thread is very old and likely some of the info is no longer correct.  

Are you assuming that Ebay gets that percentage on shipping from the carriers and can you support it with a link to where you found the info?  I've been looking for something for years.

Now on the shipping charged to the buyer yes Ebay gets the FVF on that amount, but you said "shipping cost", which is often different from what the seller charges the buyer.

You might want to check how you have your returns set up in your site preferences.  I ship mostly via Ground advantage and when I have a return and I issue a return label from the claim, it is using Ground Advantage.

Your other post said " if you have automatically handle returns", so I think you just need to look how you have that auto function set up.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Depending on the item and the price eBay quotes for the return label, I sometimes generate a return label outside eBay and upload it to the case instead, as it can be much cheaper.  It's a bit of a pain sometimes, but can save us a good bit.  I haven't noticed what service eBay was using for returns lately, I don't even look at that usually, only the price quoted when I purchase the return label for the customer.  Edit: Just realized this was an old thread, oh well.

Message 19 of 19
latest reply