cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About the 30c fee.............

In wkly chat, there was a question about the 30c fee refund: (https://community.ebay.com/t5/Weekly-Discussion-with-eBay/Community-Chat-February-23-1-00-pm-PT-Gene...

message # 46)

@mam98031 wrote:

Another seller wanted to pop in and ask this question but it appears they weren't able to make it, so I'll ask.

We get this concern from many posters regarding the upcoming full credit on Cancelations that are requested by the buyer.  

Going on historically how Ebay handles stuff like this, even though the Winter Update was silent on this, they mean Cancellations that the buyer actually requests during the first hour after the purchase via the formal method [for the lack of knowing what it is really caused].  If a buyer simply emails the seller at some later time asking for a cancelation that won't count.  Which unfortunately where most of mine come from.

But in a nutshell, what is the position of Ebay so we can better answer this questions?

Hey @mam98031 

The full credit refund only applies to a buyer initiated cancellation, which are currently only available within the first hour of purchase/payment. Seller initiated cancellations after that will still receive a full refund of any Final Value Fee, but the 30 cent transaction fee won't be included. 

I'm having a problem with that answer ........defining the credit as being applicable ONLY to the buyer initiated cancellation within the lst hr of purchase/payment.   That seems to ignore/exclude buyer requests thru emails AFTER the the lst hr.  I certainly read the explanation in the Winter  Update to include all buyer requested cancellations.........and from the lack of questions about it in the Q & A, I think  that may have been true of many.  This was the verbiage in the Winter Update:

Per-order fee credit for cancelled transactions

Currently, eBay keeps a $0.30 per-order fee when an order is cancelled due to a buyer request. This is in line with fees that other marketplaces and third-party payment processors apply in similar buyer cancellation cases. We're excited to announce that starting March 1, 2022, eBay will refund the entire final value fee, including the $0.30 per-order fee, when you approve a buyer’s cancellation request. We recognize that buyers may cancel transactions for various reasons at no fault of the seller and we want to support you by refunding 100% of the final value fee.

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2022-winter/business.html#fees

If Ebay had meant to limit the credit to "buyer requested within an hr", they certainly did not make that clear in the update.........and as such, I would like to request a recheck as to what they did mean.......

tyler@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

jasmen@ebay 

Thank you. 

Message 1 of 58
latest reply
57 REPLIES 57

Re: About the 30c fee.............

Hey tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - did eBay change course on this decision to limit the $0.30 fee refund only to "buyer initiated cancellation, which are currently only available within the first hour of purchase/payment"?

I had an order on March 26th, buyer sent a message 3 hours after paying asking to ship to a different address (it was a scam to avoid paying sales tax, but that's a whole other issue) - so not in the 1st hour and not through the "buyer initiated cancellation" process.

I cancelled order at that point using problem with buyer's address reason - variable FVF was immediately refunded, but $0.30 wasn't, which I figured was exactly how it would go based on the answers we had been given here about the limitations of that refund policy.

However on April 1st, I see a "Per Order Fee - Cancellation Credit" of $0.30 in my Payments history for that transaction.  Happy to see it, just want to make sure this wasn't an April Fool's trick. 😉

Message 16 of 58
latest reply

Curious if anyone else is seeing this? If you've had cancellations outside the 1st hour/buyer initiated process since March 1st, have you received an order fee cancellation credit days later?

Message 17 of 58
latest reply

Had one buyer cancel request within the hour. As with you, I got the $0.30 after cancelling.

Same as you, I have been credited (March 31) for 2 other cancelled transactions.

One was buyer request in a message. No formal request. Buyer error.

The other credit was on a cancel that I initiated for an insufficient address.

Message 18 of 58
latest reply

Thanks @buyselljack2016 - glad to hear I'm not crazy and that it seems that eBay may have reversed course and listened to our "feedback" on this.

Message 19 of 58
latest reply

@valueaddedresource wrote:

Hey tyler@ebay  velvet@ebay  - did eBay change course on this decision to limit the $0.30 fee refund only to "buyer initiated cancellation, which are currently only available within the first hour of purchase/payment"?

I had an order on March 26th, buyer sent a message 3 hours after paying asking to ship to a different address (it was a scam to avoid paying sales tax, but that's a whole other issue) - so not in the 1st hour and not through the "buyer initiated cancellation" process.

I cancelled order at that point using problem with buyer's address reason - variable FVF was immediately refunded, but $0.30 wasn't, which I figured was exactly how it would go based on the answers we had been given here about the limitations of that refund policy.

However on April 1st, I see a "Per Order Fee - Cancellation Credit" of $0.30 in my Payments history for that transaction.  Happy to see it, just want to make sure this wasn't an April Fool's trick. 😉

Hi @valueaddedresource! That's odd because we understand this credit feature like you do; that it's only applied within that first hour buyer requested cancelation window. We've not heard that they're expanding the per order credits past that. We'll see what we can find out but for now, I would enjoy those credits!!!

Velvet,
eBay
Message 20 of 58
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Hi @valueaddedresource! That's odd because we understand this credit feature like you do; that it's only applied within that first hour buyer requested cancelation window. We've not heard that they're expanding the per order credits past that. We'll see what we can find out but for now, I would enjoy those credits!!!

Thanks velvet@ebay  - just to be clear though, my understanding of how the update was worded was exactly what most around here believed (and what appears to actually be happening), which is that it would apply to any cancellation that is not the sellers fault.

The only place I've seen "officially" stating that it only applied to buyer initiated/1st hour is here in the community from Jasmen and Tyler, so that's why I'm wondering if this was a reversal or a misunderstanding of the original policy update.

Message 21 of 58
latest reply

velvet@ebay wrote:

Thanks velvet@ebay  - just to be clear though, my understanding of how the update was worded was exactly what most around here believed (and what appears to actually be happening), which is that it would apply to any cancellation that is not the sellers fault.

The only place I've seen "officially" stating that it only applied to buyer initiated/1st hour is here in the community from Jasmen and Tyler, so that's why I'm wondering if this was a reversal or a misunderstanding of the original policy update.

Hi @valueaddedresource! I know there was some questions surrounding this with the last update found here but we worked to clarify that it's what we've discussed, a seller can receive a per order fee credit if the seller accepts a buyer cancelation request. That's probably what you saw from Tyler and Jasmen. I'll include a screen shot below:

velvetebay_1-1649178396875.png

If you go to the Fee credits page here it also notes the following:

velvetebay_0-1649178235866.png

Velvet,
eBay
Message 22 of 58
latest reply

velvet@ebay 

velvet@ebay 

a seller can receive a per order fee credit if the seller accepts a buyer cancelation request.

THAT is what is NOT explained well in the seller update, but was explained by Tyler in this thread.

Velvet was correct, the refund of the 30 cent fee will be for buyer initiated cancellations, which is currently within the first hour of purchase.

Obviously that "within the first hour of purchase" is not noted in the help pages you quote either...........

Message 23 of 58
latest reply

I realize I did not ask the question............WHICH is correct?

Message 24 of 58
latest reply

@dhbookds wrote:

I realize I did not ask the question............WHICH is correct?

Hi @dhbookds! If I understand your question, you're wanting clarification as to what constitutes a buyer requested cancelation; which is what is currently receiving a per order fee credit. That specific request needs to happen within an hour of the sale taking place by the buyer going to the purchase and selecting the option to 'Cancel this order' from the More actions dropdown menu.

Outside of that hour, the buyer would need to message the seller to ask if they would be willing to cancel the sale and those cancelation requests are not included in the per order credits currently being offered. I'll include a link to the help page about 'How buyers can cancel an order' here if you'd like to learn more about those options. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 25 of 58
latest reply

Thanks for those screenshots velvet@ebay but as @dhbookds explained - they don't really answer the question or clear up the confusion.

This entire topic has *always* been about exactly how "when you approve a buyer's cancellation request" is defined.

While the answers given here have been explicit it is only within the 1st hour and only when requested through the cancel order option (not just a message), what we are experiencing in practice doesn't match that.

Also in a Facebook group I'm part of, a member who was unaware of the answers given here thought it should apply to a cancellation that was requested through a message after the first hour but didn't immediately receive the credit.

When she called support, they told her "We are crediting all these fees retroactively for the time being, so it will show up on your account in the next week or two"  - that matches up to what some of us are now seeing.

So it would seem somewhere along the line here the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or...a decision was made to be more inclusive with the definition of buyer cancellation but that hasn't been properly communicated.

Message 26 of 58
latest reply

Thanks for those screenshots velvet@ebay but as @dhbookds explained - they don't really answer the question or clear up the confusion.

This entire topic has *always* been about exactly how "when you approve a buyer's cancellation request" is defined.

While the answers given here have been explicit it is only within the 1st hour and only when requested through the cancel order option (not just a message), what we are experiencing in practice doesn't match that.

Also in a Facebook group I'm part of, a member who was unaware of the answers given here thought it should apply to a cancellation that was requested through a message after the first hour but didn't immediately receive the credit.

When she called support, they told her "We are crediting all these fees retroactively for the time being, so it will show up on your account in the next week or two"  - that matches up to what some of us are now seeing.

So it would seem somewhere along the line here the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing or...a decision was made to be more inclusive with the definition of buyer cancellation but that hasn't been properly communicated.

I know at the time, the Seller Update regarding this credit caused some confusion @valueaddedresource. We've tried to do our best to explain that the per order fee credit only applies to  transactions that were canceled within an hour of the sale, via the 'Cancel this order' process, where the seller has approved the buyers request to cancel the transaction. Any buyer requested cancelations that take place outside of that flow do not qualify for the credit. 

I hope that helps to clarify existing policy, and if I can find any news as to whether or not we're extending the per order fee credit to all buyer cancelations regardless of how they happen, then I'll follow-up with it here. 

Velvet,
eBay
Message 27 of 58
latest reply

velvet@ebay  tyler@ebay  - I've had another cancellation after the first hour/not through the drop down that received the $0.30 fee credit several days after order was canceled.

Again, I'm happy to see it, but I think we'd all be happier if we had a definitive answer as to whether this is working as intended and can be expected going forward or not.

Any updates on this?

Message 28 of 58
latest reply

Hello,

I believe that I am the one that started the issue with the .30 not being refunded.

As a follow up the buyer never cancelled the order and I cancelled the order (beyond the the 1hr window)the next morning. I never called Ebay about this but a week after the refund I received a refund for .30. Ebay true to it's word. So again we have a policy that is very unclear  and is bias against sellers. Some of the replies were in reference to me being cheap about the 30 cents.

I thought some of the replies were unprofessional. I wanted to make a point the the onus always falls on the seller. If the policy (which is totally unclear) states the buyer has to intiate the request for the refund thru whatever channels Ebay expect the buyer to use. The buyer is responsible for his own actions and he should be required to follow the rules as well as required from the seller.  Stop placing the responsiblity on the sellers!

And to the people that made unprofessional comments and have nothing better to do than riducle others and reply with unneeded  assine quotes are people that I really feel sorry for. 

Message 29 of 58
latest reply

velvet@ebay  tyler@ebay  - I've had another cancellation after the first hour/not through the drop down that received the $0.30 fee credit several days after order was canceled.

Again, I'm happy to see it, but I think we'd all be happier if we had a definitive answer as to whether this is working as intended and can be expected going forward or not.

Any updates on this?

I'm still working on this @valueaddedresource. Thanks for the follow-up and patience. 😊

Velvet,
eBay
Message 30 of 58
latest reply