cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A nice little threat. What would you fine people do?

I sold a used working landline phone on January 22. Today I recieved this messege.

My response was:

And I would love to help but i don't take kindly to threats. I am a reputable seller as I have over 900 positive feedbacks. So do you really think I would put that at risk over 40 dollars? I sell lots of phones and test them all out and clean them with antiseptic wipes and detail them the best that I can. I doubt many sellers do that.

I am not sure why you waited so long to contact me and then come at me with accusations and threats. You catch more fly’s with honey...

So I have a few questions as I have never been in this situation. (1) would you refund the buyer? -- Even though the case was closed?  (2) Does this threat of "warning other buyers" hold any water? In other words should I be worried? And can they have ebay do something to my account? 

I try to run an honest buisness and I would really appreciate feedback so that I can take care of this situation and not worry about this anymore.

Thank you all.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: A nice little threat. What would you fine people do?

Your reply was unprofessional.

I would not refund the buyer.

The threat about warning other buyers is laughable.

The buyer has 6 months to a year to file a dispute with paypal or CC company even for used items.

If it were me, I'd string them along (troubleshooting, take 2 days to respond between messages) for another week or so for the negative feedback window to time out.  Then ignore and block.

They most likely broke the phone and now want you to pay for it unless they were abroad on their yacht for the past two months.

~Why be a second rate version of someone else when you can be a first rate version of yourself~

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

He is too late to request a refund on ebay.

However he has up to 6 months on paypal or through his credit card company to request a refund.

So the rest is up to you.

You can just ignore him and put him on your blocked list.

But you can expect negative feedback.

Or you can simply refund him.

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

Just ignore the threat and any messages you may receive from the buyer. Place the person on your BBL.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

@sandmansaleswrote:

The buyer has 6 months to a year to file a dispute with paypal or CC company even for used items.

If it were me, I'd string them along (troubleshooting, take 2 days to respond between messages) for another week or so for the negative feedback window to time out.  Then ignore and block.

They most likely broke the phone and now want you to pay for it unless they were abroad on their yacht for the past two months.

And you would consider that professional?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I try to run an honest business

Then I'd base the decision to refund on whether or not the item is defective, rather than whether or not the buyer was being a jerk.

Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@sandmansaleswrote:

possibly...

but it was proportional...

@sandmansaleswrote:

now that's unprofessional...

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

Since it's been edited and I don't know the beginning of the story - I'll reserve judgement - but will say - some older folks ( my parents ) have a heck of a time with the new phones, computers, TVs ect....

After having the same system for 5 yrs - they misplaced a phone and were going to buy a whole new system - I informed them there is a phone locator button on the base - they never knew it was there or what it was for.

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@giantrobotdinosaurwrote:

I sold a used working landline phone on January 22. Today I recieved this messege.

My response was:

And I would love to help but i don't take kindly to threats. I am a reputable seller as I have over 900 positive feedbacks. So do you really think I would put that at risk over 40 dollars? I sell lots of phones and test them all out and clean them with antiseptic wipes and detail them the best that I can. I doubt many sellers do that.

I am not sure why you waited so long to contact me and then come at me with accusations and threats. You catch more fly’s with honey...

So I have a few questions as I have never been in this situation. (1) would you refund the buyer? -- Even though the case was closed?  (2) Does this threat of "warning other buyers" hold any water? In other words should I be worried? And can they have ebay do something to my account? 

I try to run an honest buisness and I would really appreciate feedback so that I can take care of this situation and not worry about this anymore.

Thank you all.

Block them from your account ASAP.

http://pages.ebay.com/services/buyandsell/biddermanagement.html

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

Hello I used to respond the same way but learned that it doesn’t help to try to lecture or anything like that but I agree with you it’s frustrating I just try to give them political answers try to ask them questions about the product try to get them to say something that would give reason but anybody willing to threaten anybody over a sale of a landline phone is probably a little off  so there’s no need to try to have any kind of intelligent conversation just be political 

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Sandmansales, You sir, are truly a wise man! Your response was both clever and enlightening. It is a joy to observe an individual so skilled in their craft as you clearly are. Your statement " I'd string them along (troubleshooting, take 2 days to respond between messages) for another week or so for the negative feedback window to time out. Then ignore and block." was nothing short of brilliant, it nearly made me cry. You are my new hero!
Scott
Don't poke the bear with a stick!
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

@emerald40wrote:

@sandmansaleswrote:

Why not - serves a lot of the China sellers well.

"If a product doesn't sell, raise the price" - Reese Palley
"If it sold FAST, it was priced too low" - also Reese Palley
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@magikalnightwrote:

Hello I used to respond the same way but learned that it doesn’t help to try to lecture or anything like that but I agree with you it’s frustrating I just try to give them political answers try to ask them questions about the product try to get them to say something that would give reason but anybody willing to threaten anybody over a sale of a landline phone is probably a little off  so there’s no need to try to have any kind of intelligent conversation just be political 

I prefer professional over political.

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

If the case was closed dont worry about.  Block the buyer and move on.  best regards

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@lookng2015wrote:

@emerald40wrote:

@sandmansaleswrote:

Why not - serves a lot of the China sellers well.

Do you consider the way many of the Chinese sellers deal on here professional?

For me, they are the number one reason why I hit US only, then go to the ebay UK  board so I do not miss their listings.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply