cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A major way search is broken

Today I did a search on Collectibles -> Postcards.  eBay returned 8,000,000 Best Match results.  When I sorted by Time:  ending soonest, Time:  newly listed, Distance:  nearest first, and Price + Shipping:  highest first, eBay also returned 8,000,000 results.  But when I searched Price + Shipping:  lowest first, eBay returned only 2,800 results with a message:  "We’ve streamlined your search results to show you the best listings.  See more results".  At least when I clicked this link I did finally get 8,000,000 results.

2,800 listings is just 0.35% of  all the postcards listed, just 1 for every 286 postcards listed.  The initial 2,800 "best listings" showed NO listings under $1.00 and less than 240 listings less than $2.00.  The 8,000,000 listings showed over 240 listings under $1.00, and I didn't even try to count all the listings under $2.00.

Message 1 of 50
latest reply
49 REPLIES 49

Could be AI knows you are doing repetitive searches and thought you were having issues so varied the response.  Could also be Promoted Listings have interfered with basic search functions.  Could be a combination of the two or could be a different force beyond my thinking is at work.  I quit trying to figure out how eBay works and just remain thankful for the opportunity to sell.  

Message 2 of 50
latest reply

eBay has been filtering searches using the "Price plus Shipping: Lowest first" sort order for some time now. To see all results, users need to use the "See all results" link at the top of the results or choose a different sort order.

It is entirely possible that the nature or extent of the filtering has changed recently; some of the filtering does appear to be much more severe. Or eBay may be experimenting with the filtering; it is possible that different users are seeing differently filtered results.

The idea behind filtering the lowest first sort order makes a certain amount of sense: a search for widgets, sorted lowest first, would show results that are primarily widget parts, widget plans, widget books, broken widgets -- basically anything at all except actual working widgets -- before the user gets to see what the user is likely searching for. So filtering sounds like a good idea, in theory.

Whether eBay's implementation of such a filter can accomplish that in practice is another thing altogether, though. And whether what works for widgets works for postcards is another question.

Message 3 of 50
latest reply

How well does the search work, if you look for specific topics, such as Post Cards Portland Oregon? Wouldn't most people do a specific search, not a general all search. 

Message 4 of 50
latest reply

Usually when I search for postcards using words in the title on the postcard or on the subject line in the listing I get excellent results.  However occasionally this search also fails badly.  For instance yesterday I was looking at a seller with over 1000 followers who lists over 1000 postcard auctions per week.  I searched his store for linen and eBay returned 18 results with line in the title.

Message 5 of 50
latest reply

I searched his store for linen and eBay returned 18 results with line in the title.

From time to time, eBay changes how particular keyword substitutions work. That one sounds like an overzealous "correction".

Users can prevent such "corrections" or substitutions by putting a keyword in quotes when searching to force eBay to only find exact, literal matches.

If you are using a desktop browser, use the feedback icon in the lower right corner of the search results page to alert eBay to any issues you are having with the search.

Message 6 of 50
latest reply

@eburtonlab wrote:

eBay has been filtering searches using the "Price plus Shipping: Lowest first" sort order for some time now.

I can confirm that weirdness being discussed in how the number of results is affected by the choice of result ordering. "Price + Shipping: Lowest first" returns significantly less than half of the full result set seen in any other search ordering.

For example:

1. I'll enter "Schwinn speedometer" as part of my daily searching for things to buy. I make no other search restrictions; I just enter those two words.

2. The first results back have an unwanted Category restriction applied, so I have to clear that and re-search. I now have (in my latest test just now) 459 items, which will be ordered as "Best match" unless I choose a different order.

3. Any other results ordering will return 458 or 459 items, except for "Price + Shipping: Lowest first" which returns 160. At this moment I cannot see why that might be.

After I wrote the above in another thread earlier today (here), I had a chance to do a little more squinting at the surprisingly low result number returned only when sorting by Lowest First, and I'm thinking that it's failing to show multiple listings whose price and shipping happen to total exactly the same, possibly allowing one to be shown and omitting the rest in a misguided de-duplicating operation.

I saw a few listings that appeared nominally to total up to the same amount, so perhaps there are other factors included as well (e.g. estimated Shipping cost, regardless of who pays), but as I scrolled down the page, doing the mental math for each one, it did seem like no two listings of the 160 shown were obviously the same in total cost, so perhaps the other almost-300 listings that are included in any other result ordering (including Highest First) were being accidentally excluded as duplicates for this Lowest First option.

Message 7 of 50
latest reply

Interesting, I usually keep a couple hundred postcard listings up at all time. Been pretty consistent with selling 1 0r 2 per day until a few days ago. Something changed, now its crickets.  😕

Message 8 of 50
latest reply

I can confirm that weirdness being discussed in how the number of results is affected by the choice of result ordering. "Price + Shipping: Lowest first" returns significantly less than half of the full result set seen in any other search ordering.

eBay has been filtering Lowest First searches for a long time, but the filtering may have become much more severe lately, and the notification and see more results link may not be appearing consistently at the top of the results as it has in the past.

If you have saved searches using Lowest First sort and you do not want your results filtered, try adding the following string to the end of the page address, then save the resulting search:

&_blrs=recall_filtering

That should avoid the filtering.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=schwinn+speedometer&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_sop=15&_...

Message 9 of 50
latest reply

IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

I agree!

Been here since ebay started...

You could get a 4 character name.

There was a time when you would get different results if logged in or logged out.

I just look at this frustrating process as "It just Works".

BUT I DON"T LIKE IT EITHER!!!

Message 10 of 50
latest reply

Remember when ebay just used to match up the keywords you searched for with listing title keywords and just showed amazing results that were logically relevant? It was so refreshing to just go down a list of ll the items you searched for and made a selection based on your preferred criteria.... now with AI- 1 in 24 listings is actually relevant to your search and most are unrelated promoted listings or just plain wrong.   Why do they refuse to just show buyers what they search for?

Message 11 of 50
latest reply

Remember when ebay just used to match up the keywords you searched for with listing title keywords and just showed amazing results that were logically relevant?

You can avoid "streamlining" when searching by avoiding the Price plus Shipping: lowest first sort order.

You can avoid keyword substitution and automatic category navigation in your searches by putting a keyword in quotes to force eBay to return only literal keyword matches.

Other than sponsored listings appearing in the results -- which for a time could be filtered out using an ad blocker -- and keywords being matched to item-specifics instead of just titles, it is still possible to get search results that are quite similar to those results obtainable prior to the adoption of Cassini.

There are some other differences: inability to uniquely search certain punctuation characters, and the lack of wildcard characters. The old pre-Cassini search had an interesting way to find results that had any combination of m number of keywords out of a list of n keywords, while the current search interface more easily allows a simple Boolean OR search among a list of keywords.

Some of the current limitations of keyword matching can be offset by using filter options, which encourage sellers to conform to certain standards in the listing format through limited item-specific options. Try searching for pipe or hose by fractional measure of inner diameter, outer diameter or wall thickness to see a limitation of current keyword matching and the benefit of using filter options.

Why do they refuse to just show buyers what they search for?

eBay would rather show buyers a few things that eBay thinks they are likely to purchase, rather than including all the results that actually meet their search criteria that those buyers are (in eBay's self-interested estimation) probably not really interested in buying.

Those users that insist on logically-consistent and complete results can still get those, too; just not by default without using techniques like those described above.

Message 12 of 50
latest reply

"Any other results ordering will return 458 or 459 items, except for "Price + Shipping: Lowest first" which returns 160. At this moment I cannot see why that might be."

I've been having this happen for MONTHS and it drives me crazy!!!

Message 13 of 50
latest reply

That worked wonders!! 
Thankyou ever so much for this tip! 😍

Message 14 of 50
latest reply

That worked wonders!!

Thankyou ever so much for this tip!

You are entirely welcome. Glad to hear that worked!

Message 15 of 50
latest reply