cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have some concerns for eBay execs to conisder...

The metrics will show you:

• How often you receive return requests for "items not as described."

Greetings.  I am a long time seller of t-shirts and coffee cups.   In 2012, based on negative consequences of the DSR system back then, and having tried everything in the book, I finally came to the conclusion that walking away was the only logical answer.  I did.  Publically.  The problems then were the same as today, it centered around dissatified customers.  I still sold on ebay (didn't close my store) but I went close to year without lifting one single finger to grow my eBay business, instead I worked passionately on an exit plan.  BUT... in mid 2013 Ebay introduced "managed returns"... Intrigued, I believed that that just might be the fix I was looking for.  I opted in and noticed a remarkable difference.  Buyers were still lying to get a free return so I decided if this was all over the cost of a return I'd work that into my selling equasion... so on 1/1/14 I came back to ebay with all my heart and went with a free return model.  It worked wonders!  Better than I could even imagine.  I haven't looked back.   

However, buyers are still giving fraudulent reasons for wanting the return.  things like "missing parts" (on hats, mugs and t-shirts) and all kinds of other dumb reasons.  I have never cared.  I have never reported them.  If they want a return they get it! Period.    My biggest probelm was in the realm of coffee mugs.  I didn't want to bring to the market the same things everyone else was doing and I found a supplier back in 2012 for a great quality plastic coffee mug.  While my local hallmark store was selling it no one on eBay was... so I jumped in!  About 5% of my buyers bought by looking at the picture only and expected a ceramic coffee mug regardless of the description.  I worked with Laura Chambers and her team and applied all their ideas with no results.  A certain segment of people were shopping picture only, not even reading the title, let alone the description and then complaining and returning the mugs as "SNAD".  I've handled this just by rolling my eyes and giving out the returns.   Finally on 1/1/2018 i made the decision to attempt to fix this by offering choice listings and bringing in ceramic mugs to handle the 5% who can't read.  Now they have to select which one they want.  So far, I've had no returns this year, but I'm not entirely through this process yet.  

My concern that I want your team to strongly consider is rather or not you're putting too much "faith" in the word of the buyer and the responsibilty of the seller to overcome niave buying.   My guess is that you now want us to report every buyer who gives a reason for a return that is clearly fraudualent.  But I'm uneasy with that because I wanted eBay to move away from a "buyer verses seller, fight to death" world.    Devin Wenig had hooked me up with Dieter Newlin back in 2014 and we had indepth discussions about this very thing.  I'm thinking the closer we can get to a world where "right and wrong" doesn't matter as much as just taking care of the customer does the better off eBay will be.  Now, I know we can't all get there, there are MANY models that can't embrace a "free return" world, but for those of us that can... shouldn't just taking care of our customers be the main thing?   This is especially true in clothing.  There is no greater way to overcome the touch and feel weakness of online shopping than standing behind our items with a free return that is mediated by eBay and guaranteed to them.  Words and pictures can't over come this... trust me I've tried since 2003.  We just can't always fix stupid, and we're always going to face a segment of the population that is educated on the 5th grade level scale or under and they just aren't all Harvard graduates with highest IQ's. My concern is that internal eBay is surrounded by smart people that don't reflect the real world, LOL.   Rather than pitting buyer against seller, placing enimity between buyer and seller, can't we just move as close as we each can to a "free return" model and then stand behind those who offer it, knowing that if our returns are out of whack, the free market system will take us under if we don't climb on top of it ourselves? Then simply limiting returns of those who abuse the priveledge if necassary... without getting sellers involved.   

To be clear, I'm not outright condemning this move, but I'm just concerned that it's, IMO, a step in the wrong direction especially for those embracing the free return model.   I get returns all the time because a medium shirt doesn't fit and therefore is SNAD.  I get them on hats that are "missing parts and pieces" ???? Really ????.  I've gotten them on my own unique shirt sold exclusively on eBay because it "is not like the Irish shirt I bought at the mall last month" ??? Figure that one out!    In the end does it matter?  No... the customer want's a return and they don't even have to ask me for that... it's pre-approved and guaranteed to them by eBay!  (AWESOME BTW!) A Free return is the least I can offer them on a purchase that they can't touch and feel before buying and can't try on and look at themselves in the mirror before paying.  Let's make that the WINNING HAND!  Because really, IT IS!

I don't mean this in a critcal manner... just ponder it internally and maybe hire a few high school drop outs to hang around you so you can learn how a sub-set of people think that will provide you smart people with quality entertainment and help you rethink some of this. 🙂   Or... go to your nearest walmart and watch people  enter it through the exit doors all day long!  Back in my day we didn't have motion detectors... we had mats you stepped on and the doors were one way doors with ENTER and EXIT... and if I had a dollar for each idiot I saw hit the glass in the 80's I'd be almost as rich as Mr. Wenig.  LOL...     Is the reason for the free return really that important????   I think not.  it's more entertaining than educational.  Think about it.  

Danny

photo HONEVILLELOGO-1.jpg

Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Re: I have some concerns for eBay execs to conisder...

I am an avid supporter of Ebay and have been selling a very long time.  But Ebay is NOT MY PARTNER.  Ebay is a venue in which I PAY to sell on.

Let's define that word shall we:

a person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others, especially in a business or company with shared risks and profits.

Ebay does not share my risk of profit or loss and therefore is not my partner.  

Ebay shares it's risk of profit and loss with its shareholders, not with its customers [sellers].

Ebay is a VENUE in which I CHOOSE to give my business to.  I like selling here for the most part, but Ebay IMHO is overstepping into trying to micro manage its sellers in some respects in a short sighted effort to seek more profits by making buyers happy in the hopes they will buy more often.  This is short sighted because some [certainly not all] of the policies are hurting the sellers, stiffling their profits and causing them to go elsewhere.  As sellers migrate away from Ebay or diversify on the internet more, so will the buyers.

Loyalty.  If Ebay would instill and promote loyalty then in the long run IMHO Ebay would see much greater benefits.

I'm aware that Ebay can not always back its sellers.  That is an very unreasonable expectation.  But there are things that Ebay can do but are unwilling to do that would promote the feeling of loyalty instead of damaging it more and more at every turn.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

@raquel_bayarea wrote:

@golf-usga wrote:

Really? This is good news to ebay employees?

The good news?  That buyers lie to get free return shipping?
The good news?  That buyers lie and give false statements that slander the seller?
The good news?  That even when the buyer admits that they got exactly what they ordered but decided they wanted to return it and claim some silly FALSE snad reason, the seller is slapped with a case, their metrics suffer and they are possibly getting increased fees because of it?

The good news?  Ebay knows that buyers lie, ebay knows that cases are false.  eBay knows that buyers are scamming sellers?

But the good news? It happens to everyone?

Good news?  What am I missing?

@golf-usga - You are right that we still have more work to do to partner with you to direct buyers to file return requests for the correct reasons and encouraging positive communication. 

The good news is related to how a peer benchmark is determined in the upcoming Seller Metrics tool. A number of scenarios are considered so that when you see the Not as Described return requests so that the requests driven by remorse are not skewing your results. Scenarios include:

• List on the same eBay site and in the same category
  • Share the same assessment lookback period (3 or 12 months), as determined by transaction volume
  • Have a similar “average selling price”
  • Sell items with similar item conditions—generally new or not-new conditions
  • Offer a similar return policy—usually returns accepted or returns not accepted policies
  • Sell items with similar buyer-facing delivery estimates

We have not forgotten to be proactive about solving for Seller Protections. Learn more about what we announced earlier this year on where we are increasing focus for protections: 

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/seller-protection.html#seller-protec...

What does 'same category' mean? I sell antiques only. Where can you possibly come up with 'similar' on anything for antiques?

I list in toys and hobbies, vintage/antique toys, mostly cast iron or the other category for pressed steel toys(which are NOT under vintage/antique toys, so you also need to list under vintage/antique toys, other.

Am I going to get put in the same category as someone selling brand new toys? If so, how is that considered even remotely fair?

And the answer to "Really? This is good news to ebay employees?" - it is - they probably get a higher bonus from the extra 4% they will be getting from sellers that got shafted by their new metrics. It certainly isn't good news for sellers.

@d-k_treasures wrote:

@raquel_bayarea wrote:

@golf-usga wrote:

Really? This is good news to ebay employees?

The good news?  That buyers lie to get free return shipping?
The good news?  That buyers lie and give false statements that slander the seller?
The good news?  That even when the buyer admits that they got exactly what they ordered but decided they wanted to return it and claim some silly FALSE snad reason, the seller is slapped with a case, their metrics suffer and they are possibly getting increased fees because of it?

The good news?  Ebay knows that buyers lie, ebay knows that cases are false.  eBay knows that buyers are scamming sellers?

But the good news? It happens to everyone?

Good news?  What am I missing?

@golf-usga - You are right that we still have more work to do to partner with you to direct buyers to file return requests for the correct reasons and encouraging positive communication. 

The good news is related to how a peer benchmark is determined in the upcoming Seller Metrics tool. A number of scenarios are considered so that when you see the Not as Described return requests so that the requests driven by remorse are not skewing your results. Scenarios include:

• List on the same eBay site and in the same category
  • Share the same assessment lookback period (3 or 12 months), as determined by transaction volume
  • Have a similar “average selling price”
  • Sell items with similar item conditions—generally new or not-new conditions
  • Offer a similar return policy—usually returns accepted or returns not accepted policies
  • Sell items with similar buyer-facing delivery estimates

We have not forgotten to be proactive about solving for Seller Protections. Learn more about what we announced earlier this year on where we are increasing focus for protections: 

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2018-spring/seller-protection.html#seller-protec...

What does 'same category' mean? I sell antiques only. Where can you possibly come up with 'similar' on anything for antiques?

I list in toys and hobbies, vintage/antique toys, mostly cast iron or the other category for pressed steel toys(which are NOT under vintage/antique toys, so you also need to list under vintage/antique toys, other.

Am I going to get put in the same category as someone selling brand new toys? If so, how is that considered even remotely fair?

And the answer to "Really? This is good news to ebay employees?" - it is - they probably get a higher bonus from the extra 4% they will be getting from sellers that got shafted by their new metrics. It certainly isn't good news for sellers.

Well  I will stay as a  buyer  and  not as a seller once  they start up Adyen payments .   If I see a large  drop off sellers  then I will look at other sites .  Ebay has killed the golden Goose. 

Message 18 of 34
latest reply

There has to be some way to help the buyer make the right choice for the return. If the buyer mistakenly chooses a reason that does not translate to the issue then there should be some help from Ebay regarding this issue. How is this going to happen when all of this is automated? A seller should NOT be penalized for something like this at all. Who is going to challenge these if they happen? Ebay/seller. This is where this policy is really confusing and could be extremely detrimental to the seller. Are you kidding me? A possible 4 % hike in fees for issues like this that can pile up fast on an account ? I can see why some people would be worried about this. This is going backwards to the day Ebay gave penalities to sellers for SNADS back before Mr Wenig obliterated this because it apparently cause a lot of problems/and or sellers complained about it enough to get this gone.

Message 19 of 34
latest reply

You can do everything right here, free ship free returns, 30 to 60 day returns, excellent item, ship on time and then get slapped with penalties for a buyer choosing the wrong reason for a return. Whoa nellie! That's not too good Ebay.

Message 20 of 34
latest reply

@vintagecraze50 wrote:

You can do everything right here, free ship free returns, 30 to 60 day returns, excellent item, ship on time and then get slapped with penalties for a buyer choosing the wrong reason for a return. Whoa nellie! That's not too good Ebay.

Well they took took a big step back to 4 years ago. 

Message 21 of 34
latest reply

Personally, after all the programming glitches I doubt any numbers on sellers dashboards will be correct. That 4% is going to be awfully tempting to just flunk out some sellers for the added cash. Where is the transparency when your measured up against other sellers?

Is the 4% across the board on all your items or just on the  catagories where you flunked?

Reminds me of the DSR stars that showed up on accounts that were only used to buy with and never sold a thing...

Whoops... just a glitch.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 22 of 34
latest reply

RIDICULOUS!!! THERE IS NO GOOD NEWS. 

DO YOU REALLY THINK THAT?

I HAVE SOME OCEAN FRONT PROPERTY IN KANSAS IF YOU ARE INTERESTED. THE GOOD NEWS IS THAT IT IS REALLY CHEAP FOR AN OCEAN FRONT LOT!!

Message 23 of 34
latest reply

Four year ago many small sellers were at serious risk for loosing their selling accounts due to numerous false SNADS. Now, many if not most were not using free returns to combat this as buyers frequently used/use false SNADS to obtain free ship back and other issues. Perhaps the use of free returns now may stifle this but that DOES NOT address the mistakes buyers make when they start a return request.  A case in point, I had an INR for a 300 dollar item that was shown to have an attempted delivery and was waiting buyer pick up at the P.O.. I had to talk to two different CS agents to get this INR off my record. Buyer MISTAKENLY filed INR not realizing the package was waiting for pick up. This buyer was informed explicitly in our listing and via email after purchase that ALL our items are signature tracked. The CS agent told us they could not close the case first time becuase they said the package was at a P.O. 100 miles from the delivery point, which was absolutely wrong as the package was at a branch of this person P.O. 15 miles away. These are the king of issues that can come up . The case was resolved properly in the end. Nothing wrong with this new policy as long as these cases are resolved properly. We hope.

Message 24 of 34
latest reply

I love to sell on Ebay as well. Have not had many problems here because we do a number of things to mitigate problems.  It's sort of a damage control concept that we consider with each update. We assess the risks and then move on with whatever plan we can to control for loss. Using less resistance/friction for buyers has helped a lot meaning you offer returns, allow a generous window for these returns, use signature tracking and insurance. You never want to be in a position for a buyer to move to a chargeback because that is the worst case scenerio. 

Message 25 of 34
latest reply

@mam98031 wrote:

I am an avid supporter of Ebay and have been selling a very long time.  But Ebay is NOT MY PARTNER.  Ebay is a venue in which I PAY to sell on.

Let's define that word shall we:

a person who takes part in an undertaking with another or others, especially in a business or company with shared risks and profits.

Ebay does not share my risk of profit or loss and therefore is not my partner.  

Ebay shares it's risk of profit and loss with its shareholders, not with its customers [sellers].

Ebay is a VENUE in which I CHOOSE to give my business to.  I like selling here for the most part, but Ebay IMHO is overstepping into trying to micro manage its sellers in some respects in a short sighted effort to seek more profits by making buyers happy in the hopes they will buy more often.  This is short sighted because some [certainly not all] of the policies are hurting the sellers, stiffling their profits and causing them to go elsewhere.  As sellers migrate away from Ebay or diversify on the internet more, so will the buyers.

Loyalty.  If Ebay would instill and promote loyalty then in the long run IMHO Ebay would see much greater benefits.

I'm aware that Ebay can not always back its sellers.  That is an very unreasonable expectation.  But there are things that Ebay can do but are unwilling to do that would promote the feeling of loyalty instead of damaging it more and more at every turn.

Hi all, I have read each of your comments - I connect to the pain you share from prior requirements on open requests impacting your Seller Level and am encouraged hearing all the things you do to go above and beyond for your customers.  A few points to clarify:

• There are no changes to the Standards Performance Seller Program and requirements for your Seller level. Sellers are still only measured based on ensuring open requests from sellers are escalated.
  • The upcoming Seller Metrics peer benchmark is a tool is being designed to give you a baseline on the number of requests you have from your customers.  This tool will share your after-sale requests in comparison to sellers with similar listing and business size traits as yours.
  • Only sellers in the peer group with the highest rate of open requests from sellers will experience the extended delivery estimates and additional fees announced this week.
  • Accuracy is a priority for us in this new tool. We are actively focused on accuracy to 1. Ensure you have helpful information on the requests from your customers and 2. In a scenario where extended delivery estimates and additional fees are issued are not as a result of something out of your control as a seller. We focusing on accuracy in two ways:
    1. Ensure up front accuracy: Based on data and input from many sellers, we are building diverse factors to determine your peer group. We account for the possibility of remorse item not as described requests by having a high minimum returns threshold.
    2. Quick resolution when accuracy does not cover more rare instances outside of your control: When those factors are not enough to solve for situations out of your control, we will have means to adjust your evaluation to prevent the additional fees or extended delivery estimates.
  • We hear your feedback for improving the actual returns process to prevent remorse Item not as Described return requests. We have great conversations and staff answering your questions and collecting your feedback on the discussion board on Simplified Returns. Check it out here

Message 26 of 34
latest reply

wow.. my main cat is fan shop apparel & souvenirs...I sell mainly team logo clothing.. Im OBV going to get more retruns than my "peers" in the same catagory that sell hockey pucks or license plate frames .. This is pretty absurd.. Its NOT in any way shape or form a apples to apples comparison.. 

Message 27 of 34
latest reply

I sell fabric and am one of the few fabric sellers that take returns.

I am getting 2 fabrics back from a buyer.     She asked for extra pictures,  coins on a certain motif and the size of the plane.    Even with all that,   she is returning them because they are too white.

There is a seller that does not spell out Fat Quarter on her listings.    She charges as much for a 18 inch by 18 inch piece of fabric as a  yard.     Buyers are incensed when they receive an over priced piece of fabric,  but she wins all of her SNADS because buried in the description is what a Fat Quarter is.

Chinese fabric sellers do not ship until they approach the 30 day mark in order to avoid SNAD.   So when that piece of cheap silk with some undisclosed polyester comes,  it is a too bad so sad moment.

I sell desinger over stocks,  so when I sell the double brushed poly that has a soft brushed and napped surface like flannel is returned because they did not realize that it was fuzzy,  I am out of luck.

So I will be compared to sellers that take very few returns and bad customer service.    I will always be over that 1 percent mark,  not because I am a bad seller,   but because I am a good one.

I would think that clothing would be in the same boat.

Message 28 of 34
latest reply

@raquel_bayarea

Hi all, I have read each of your comments - I connect to the pain you share from prior requirements on open requests impacting your Seller Level and am encouraged hearing all the things you do to go above and beyond for your customers.  A few points to clarify:

• There are no changes to the Standards Performance Seller Program and requirements for your Seller level. Sellers are still only measured based on ensuring open requests from sellers are escalated.

I think you missed the point.  I don't think any of us thinks that standards are changing within this particular Seller Update.  But this update had a note on it that stated the standards in which we are evaluated on WILL change in September.  So while your statement is correct, you are trying to mislead some of us into a sense of safety when in fact that is NOT the WHOLE truth.  

• The upcoming Seller Metrics peer benchmark is a tool is being designed to give you a baseline on the number of requests you have from your customers.  This tool will share your after-sale requests in comparison to sellers with similar listing and business size traits as yours.

I don't think anyone stated a concern about the new reports we will be able to see.  Reports are tools in which each of us can decide if we want to use them or not.  So for some it is a good thing and for some they just don't care.  This is not part of the update that has people concerned.

• Only sellers in the peer group with the highest rate of open requests from sellers will experience the extended delivery estimates and additional fees announced this week.

This is a concern and it goes right back to your first point.  And honestly I do not know why Ebay is so surprised that they are getting a push back from Sellers.  When Ebay started the Request for Return program/policy, they also said that if we resolve the RR while it is in the RR stage, it will NEVER be held against the seller.  Now Ebay is going back on that statement and quite honestly I don't understand why Ebay would think this is OK to do.

• Accuracy is a priority for us in this new tool. We are actively focused on accuracy to 1. Ensure you have helpful information on the requests from your customers and 2. In a scenario where extended delivery estimates and additional fees are issued are not as a result of something out of your control as a seller. We focusing on accuracy in two ways:
    1. Ensure up front accuracy: Based on data and input from many sellers, we are building diverse factors to determine your peer group. We account for the possibility of remorse item not as described requests by having a high minimum returns threshold.
    2. Quick resolution when accuracy does not cover more rare instances outside of your control: When those factors are not enough to solve for situations out of your control, we will have means to adjust your evaluation to prevent the additional fees or extended delivery estimates.

I realize that you are only doing your job and you are doing a GREAT job explaining things, but honestly your opening statement in this area rather laughable and in reality is simply not true.  In application and in how Ebay actually applies certain things, nothing could be further from the truth in regards to specifically SNADs/INADs vs BR Requests.  And this is a HUGE problem.

Ebay does not require a buyer to be accurate in the reason they select for filing a RR.  In fact when a buyer is NOT truthful and the seller can prove it through the buyer's own words in emails in M2M and occasionally on what they actually type out as an expanded reason inside the RR that it is NOT a SNAD but in fact a BR, Ebay will do NOTHING.  Absolutely NOTHING.  So while there are many SNADs filed by buyers out there, there are a whole lot of them that should have been BRs.  So the percentages Ebay is collecting for SNADs are so out of wack it is ridiculous and it is a useless number.  No accuracy at all.

You are welcome to look at my RR rate.  I can tell you that out of the SNADs I've had filed, only 1 or 2 over the past couple of years have been true SNADs.  All the others have been BRs disguised as a SNAD.  So this is fair to sellers HOW?  Ebay wants to count SNADs against us but they will do NOTHING to make sure they are a true SNAD.  And Ebay wonders why sellers are upset.  REALLY!!

• We hear your feedback for improving the actual returns process to prevent remorse Item not as Described return requests. We have great conversations and staff answering your questions and collecting your feedback on the discussion board on Simplified Returns. Check it out here

This is not a new concern.  It is one sellers have been upset about and voiced their opinions about for years.  Why would your link provide anything new for us?  Since Ebay is making this change in how stats are calculated for sellers in September, it is  obvious that our concerns just fall on deaf ears.  Ebay has done nothing to improve this situation, but they are certainly planning to make it worse in Sept.

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 29 of 34
latest reply

My SIL was booted off of Amazon.     She loves to return items for SNAD and than gets a refund and keeps the item.    She brags about the amount of free stuff she got off of Amazon.    Her newest acquisition  is a coffee table from Wayfair that had a little itty bitty 1/8 th of an inch scratch on the inside of a leg.

SHe can justify all of her returns.     A loose thread,   slightly off color,    sleeves too long.  

I am sure that Ebay is not going to put any type of safe guards for us.

Are we going to be up against the Chinese sellers in this metric,   most of who ship  in order to get pass the 30 day return ?   Sellers who reserve Ebay for the less than desirable stuff because they know that Amazon boots them off?

Message 30 of 34
latest reply