cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginning September 2018, False SNAD claims will start to cost you more

Reading the new Service Metric page that eBay is about to introduce, notice that a high number of SNADs will get you higher fees ... combined with the email from a few weeks ago about returns, this also means lower visiibility and other competitive disadvantages.

With 2 exceptions (a broken item in shipping, and a manufacturing defect on a new item), every single one of my SNADs in the last year have been false ... they were buyers lying to get free return shipping.

eBay didn't you learn anything from the feedback fiasco?  We shouldn't have to be penalized for bad buyers.

(I have no problem with eBay penalizing sellers who consistently have SNAD issues, by the way.  But how can you tell if it is genuine or just a bad buyer?)

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Thank you for sharing. 

I am concerned about this:  Doos this mean that tracking will be required?

Shipping service promise

We've updated our selling practices policy to reflect the importance and requirement of maintaining your shipping service promise. Provide a great customer experience by using the class of shipping service you promised in your listing and uploading tracking information. If you use a slower shipping service than the one you offered, your items may be delivered later than your customer expects.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

Meantime on the Wallstreet journal I read Amazon is booting buyers that send back too many items compared to the other buyers that have purchased the same item. From what I have read, seems the bar is pretty low too.

Know where these problem buyers are going to buy from now?

Hey eBay, how about some industry standard on this one? I have read the standard line about "report buyers to eBay" yet I have also read, and seen the example of, about buyers with a horendeous return and scam level still here and that nothing is done about.

Sellers should not have to report anyone! The metrics on a buyer should be watched as closely as the metrics on a seller are.

This metric change is to push sellers into free returns and get yet more fees from its sellers.

i wonder how much of this silliness eBay would put up with if it was their merchandise being sold here.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

eBay forbids sellers rating buyers (once we were are member...equal), our customers.

However, eBay has no problem rating it's customers, the SELLERS.  Treating us like unpaid employees that must be punished for mistakes or meeting quotas.

Interesting business model.

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

I take returns for any reason.    I am one of the few fabric sellers that do.

Lots of times sewers will buy something and the color is just a little off,  or they did not realize what a challis was.      I even take back cut yardage.

My metrics against other sellers will  look bad.

I have a SNAD coming back today because the scale was larger than they thought even through they were provided with extra pictures and a ruler.  

I am going to be penallized for doing a good job.   

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

I sell electronics with a return rate of 17%, mostly fake "Doesn't work or defective" claims. Curious to how this will affect my store.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

Yes I read the Wallstreet Journal report as well. Who needs buyers who cheat the system with false SNAD claims. Amazon is right to ban these people. Why blame your sellers for buyer dishonesty? No wonder sellers are downsizing and leaving.

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@ecocomputertvrepairrecycling wrote:
I sell electronics with a return rate of 17%, mostly fake "Doesn't work or defective" claims. Curious to how this will affect my store.

Bottom line is it will cost you more to be seen.

My problem is I just don't trust eBay and the metrics they use. The programming around here is a joke, a bad one. I have zero trust in eBay's honesty anymore.

The Race is over
The Rats won.
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. 

Shipping service promise

We've updated our selling practices policy to reflect the importance and requirement of maintaining your shipping service promise. Provide a great customer experience by using the class of shipping service you promised in your listing and uploading tracking information. If you use a slower shipping service than the one you offered, your items may be delivered later than your customer expects.

@mcdougle4248 

Thanks for your question.

You are expected to upload tracking information if your buyer selected a tracked ship service option that you offered.
The policy update discusses the following two scenarios:
- Valid tracking information must be uploaded if the buyer selected a tracked shipping service during checkout
- A shipping service that is equal to or faster than the one selected by the buyer during checkout must be used for shipping the item

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

So are you saying that NOW tracking is REQUIRED, where before it was always touted to be for "seller protection"?

Crusader Cat is watching

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself. - L Tolstoy

"You are entitled to your own opinion, you are not however, entitled to your own facts."

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

@ymeagainlord wrote:
So are you saying that NOW tracking is REQUIRED, where before it was always touted to be for "seller protection"?

@ymeagainlord

Let's not forget that the shipping service level isn't (now) a reason for a SNAD, even though we all thought it was but were informed it's not.

Now it will be.

@srinivasavenkates_0 wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. 

Shipping service promise

@mcdougle4248 

You are expected to upload tracking information if your buyer selected a tracked ship service option that you offered.
- Valid tracking information must be uploaded if the buyer selected a tracked shipping service during checkout
- A shipping service that is equal to or faster than the one selected by the buyer during checkout must be used for shipping the item

what happens if we don't upload tracking but the buyer doesn't have or report any issues?

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

@usgamecollector wrote:

@mcdougle4248 wrote:

Thank you for sharing. 

Shipping service promise

@mcdougle4248 

what happens if we don't upload tracking but the buyer doesn't have or report any issues?

@usgamecollector

Thanks for your question. We have noticed that untracked deliveries can lead to cases for items not received. Adding valid tracking enables the seller and as well as the buyer to check the status of shipments anytime. Not uploading tracking information when the buyer selected a tracked shipping service during checkout is a policy violation and it is very important to keep this shipping service commitment to buyers to minimize chances of claims.  

Message 13 of 17
latest reply

What do you mean by violation? Will our accounts be suspended if we don’t upload tracking? If buyers are not opening cases why is it a problem? 

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

Not uploading tracking information when the buyer selected a tracked shipping service during checkout is a policy violation and it is very important to keep this shipping service commitment to buyers to minimize chances of claims.  

@srinivasavenkates_0: I think you may be confusing "policy" with "best practices." I see that you are a new seller yourself, and it doesn't hurt to become familiar with both, but in my own review of the Performance Standards pages, the closest I could come to any discussion of tracking as regards on-time delivery was this excerpt:

If there's no tracking available, we'll check with your buyer. If your buyer confirms

> the item was delivered on time—you'll be recognized for on-time shipping.

Ref: https://www.ebay.com/help/policies/selling-policies/seller-performance-policy?id=4347

(under "Transaction Defect Rate Requirements")

I'm sure you would agree that "[being] recognized for on-time shipping" is hardly a policy violation.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply