cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Managed payments SUCK

This new payments system sucks. I don't get my money right away & it's not going into my paypal account. It is screwing up my accounting and making it harder to pay for shipping as I have to transfer money into my paypal to pay for shipping. I don't know which items they are giving me my money for. They get to hold onto it in their bank and are making millions on interest while they have it thinking we are stupid and have no idea what they are doing. It is making things so much harder to sell on here. No wonder the honest dealers are leaving, I'm about to call it quits as well. I want to handle my own funds. I'm not a 14 year old that needs help managing his money. Tell eBay to GIVE us back our MONEY!

Message 1 of 361
latest reply
360 REPLIES 360

Re: Managed payments SUCK

More money in their pockets, we have to play by their stinky rules but they do not, the got some agitators here who "like MP" well, I suspect they get some leftovers for their time and hard work telling us a lie, some lousy fees discount. Truth is MP is a nightmare and a huge blow to every seller! New fees are ripoff as well, well documented here.

Message 91 of 361
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

A bit of info which may be news to some, but eBay is no longer "processing" payments on Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday, if not all of it.  So the "7 days a week" is down to 4 days or 4-1/2 days, and yes, that's quite different than what was promised because many sellers do more business on the weekends.  So WHY would a payment processor NOT be processing on the weekends - other than to hold our money?

Another thing with MP is that people can STILL pay with PayPal even now, but eBay has rigged it so even THEN your money isn't seen or touched by you - though it's STILL in PayPal.  This must've taken a bit more finagling than we've been told, and I've actually put several test transactions through eBay and spoken with the wizards at PayPal about this.  They reluctantly admitted than yes, PayPal still sees eBay purchases paid with PayPal, but they deliberately HIDE those from you eBay sellers due to their recent agreement with eBay.  Understand the driver in all this is eBay, and it seems to be getting so eBay is way too comfortable with providing misinformation to sellers to hide what is really occurring.  It's the typical MO - promise it all, and give much less.

Message 92 of 361
latest reply

@shtf-armor wrote:

Yes, "more money in my pocket" is total BULL. Now eBay gets 10% of my sales, PLUS 3.5% for the transaction? Not to mention, the 10% seems to be on the TAXED price to customer, so I'm essentially paying a tax on their tax.

Honestly, I like the way the hub works, but i cannot stand managed pymts.

Offering free shipping to customers already eats approx 12-18 dollars from each transaction, and then I'm charged 10% on top of that.

To be frank, my butt hurts a bit since this new program was implemented. I'm no big fan of oaypal, but at least when each item was "paid, ship now," I could scan my emai and ensure the funds were there on real time. Now, when it bottlenecks on weekends and holidays, I'm having to keep extra eyes on my bottom line to be certain it's legit.

10% of my sales made ebay almost as much as it made me, after I subtract all overhead.

Tack the transaction fee on, and ebay makes MORE PROFIT of my sale than I do.

Ingenious? Yes. Disingenuous? You betcha.

@shtf-armor 

37.JPG

mam98031  •  Volunteer Community Member  •  Buyer/Seller since 1999
Message 93 of 361
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

A bit of info which may be news to some, but eBay is no longer "processing" payments on Friday, Saturday and most of Sunday, if not all of it.  So the "7 days a week" is down to 4 days or 4-1/2 days, and yes, that's quite different than what was promised because many sellers do more business on the weekends.  So WHY would a payment processor NOT be processing on the weekends - other than to hold our money?

Another thing with MP is that people can STILL pay with PayPal even now, but eBay has rigged it so even THEN your money isn't seen or touched by you - though it's STILL in PayPal.  This must've taken a bit more finagling than we've been told, and I've actually put several test transactions through eBay and spoken with the wizards at PayPal about this.  They reluctantly admitted than yes, PayPal still sees eBay purchases paid with PayPal, but they deliberately HIDE those from you eBay sellers due to their recent agreement with eBay.  Understand the driver in all this is eBay, and it seems to be getting so eBay is way too comfortable with providing misinformation to sellers to hide what is really occurring.  It's the typical MO - promise it all, and give much less.

@Anonymous 

It is unfortunate for sure.  Ebay went to Business Day only processing back in August of last year.  I still see some of my payments clearing on Saturdays.  But Available funds will only transfer Monday Through Friday.

It isn't "rigged".  MP is now your money processor, not PP.  Buyers can use PP and then money comes into your MP account.  This is by design because PP is no longer the money processor once you enter MP.  YOu can't have it show both places since the money never enters your PP account when a buyer pays, it enters your MP account.

Message 94 of 361
latest reply

OH NO... mam98031, it has EVERYTHING to do with the subject of this thread, which is:   the Managed Payment Scam is simply criminal.     the story about this being simpler & better for sellers, was & is a sick joke.    i've been selling on ebay since near the beginning.  every sale through PayPal.   every transaction immediate.   i had MY money instantly, for more than 20 years.    worked FLAWLESSLY,  EACH & EVERY TRANSACTION, ALL THOSE YEARS.   PERFECTLY.     JUST ONE PAYMENT OPTION.  NO BUYER EVER HAD A PROBLEM PAYING, & THE PAYMENT NEVER HAD A PROBLEM GETTING INTO MY ACCOUNT INSTANTLY.    WHAT COULD POSSIBLY BE SIMPLER?    the truth is:  NOTHING could be so simple, let alone simpler.   so when ebay started their misinformation campaign, many months ago, about how they were going to make things so much better for the seller, & so MUCH SIMPLER for the seller,  i knew what was coming.  see, you can't fix what isn't broken, & paypal wasn't broken.   

yep, i KNEW what was coming, because i've been here a long time, & i remember when ebay fixed what wasn't broken, in the past.   i'm just going to mention what i consider the two most blatantly & cynically immoral policy adjustments that rate mention alongside this Managed Payments scam.    i'm uncertain which was worse:  

1) what they refer to as the "buyer protection policy", which has forced many millions of dollars in losses on honest sellers by informing the buyer that if they want to return any item, simply use the words "not as described", & the seller's money is first seized & then returned to the buyer, regardless that the item is exactly as described.

or:

2) the decision to hopelessly tilt the playing field & make "feedback" a one-way street.   no, ebay feedback was not always the meaningless sham that it is today.    in the early days, the ebay marketplace was what is referred to as a free market. & it worked very well.    feedback was meaningful, because it was a level playing field.  both seller & buyer were free to leave feedback.       then ebay management came to the rescue, & removed the seller's ability to leave feedback.     why?    the answer is obvious & the reasoning is simple:    it wasn't to fix the feedback system.   the feedback system wasn't broken.    it was fair.     but ebay didn't care about fair...  they wanted more sales.     so if you tilt the field toward the buyer, & remove the  seller feedback, you automatically will increase sales.    sellers can no longer be warned of a problem buyer, & block the problem buyer.   further,

the buyer, having the feedback channel all to himself, is thus encouraged to abuse with feedback, knowing it cannot be refuted or returned, because the seller no longer has a voice in the matter.    so the seller is now totally at the mercy of the one-sided buyer protection policy, AND the one-sided feedback policy.  the buyer protection policy is meaningless, the feedback is meaningless, but ebay doesn't care because stacking the deck against the seller forces the seller to bend over backwards to please the buyer, fueling more & more sales.   

these three examples of controversy all demonstrate the single underlying & over-riding principle, or lack thereof, behind ebay management's policy decisions:   MAXIMIZE EBAY'S PROFIT, AT OUR SELLER'S EXPENSE.

the ideals of win/win, & fair play, were discarded many years ago,  & i bit my tongue & did my best to adapt.

the old issues regarding feedback & buyer protection abuse were & still are crippling & senselessly abusive to all honest & conscientious sellers, but this new Managed Payment Scam, is exponentially worse, whereas with the 2 old issues ebay robbed the sellers & rewarded the buyers, with the Managed Payment Scam, ebay's management is robbing the seller to further enrich themselves.    

Message 95 of 361
latest reply

ok, mam98031, here is FACTUAL & TRUE for you:     for as long as i can remember a buyer clicks the button on my listing,  my iPhone does a ca-ching,  & the money is in my paypal account.     virtually instantly.  when ever.

what ever day.    no problem

EVER ----------------------------         DO YOU GET IT???       paypal is as close to a perfect payment system as i have seen or can imagine.     paypal was flawless for me for the last 22 or 23 years.      & it was sooooo fast.......     instant.     not a problem for any seller i know.     but maybe a problem for ebay.

maybe ebay would have liked the money to move a little slower.   maybe spend a little time in ebay's accounts,

before it gets to the seller it belongs to.    maybe that's why ebay would spend untold millions of dollars over a period of many months to build their Managed Payments Scam so they can park OUR money in their accounts for a minimum of 3 days, & often longer.    please, anyone out there, try & find some other plausible motive for forcing millions of us out of the speed, reliability, & integrity, of paypal, on which we have come to rely for decades, & into their self-enriching Managed Payments Scam.     no, this is nothing but pure avarice...  greed.

Message 96 of 361
latest reply

Can you opt out?  Don't you have to do it by January 21?  I agree its crooked as hell and complete sucks.  Now you have to wait a week to get your money.  What in the world were they thinking.  I called and questioned them on it all and they told me it would save me money because I'm not being charged paypal fees.  Who are they fooling.  They raised there fees to 12.3% so where am I saving.  TOTAL **bleep**.

Message 97 of 361
latest reply

It's as bad as I think it is.  We shouldn't have to wait a week to get paid.  I have my money sent daily and it's taking forever to get into my account.  Also, EBAY raised fees so really your not saving any money PERIOD.  It's a joke and I want the old system back.

Message 98 of 361
latest reply

Your wrong about the interest they are drawing based on average balance in account, it is something all banks are doing now. Even though the money is only there 24-48 hours or more. 

Message 99 of 361
latest reply

Paypal is legally a bank and must follow all federal guidelines for banking. And yes it does have a charter.

Message 100 of 361
latest reply

I ran a 125 Million dollar a year retail business thats over 2 million dollars per week until I retired. We strived to clear 7% after all expenses many large businesses operate on less than 10%

Message 101 of 361
latest reply

@tennesseecoin wrote:

I ran a 125 Million dollar a year retail business thats over 2 million dollars per week until I retired. We strived to clear 7% after all expenses many large businesses operate on less than 10%

That is somewhat driven by the industry in which the company is in as well.  I was in manufacturing for the aircraft industry, we made other things too, but mostly various things for aircrafts and our goals were 10-15%.  

Message 102 of 361
latest reply

Anonymous
Not applicable

What you may be missing about payments coming through PayPal is that PayPal told me they STILL provide the money immediately, as they did previously - but that eBay is vectoring to their MP system instead - EVEN THOUGH PAYPAL HAS ALREADY "PROCESSED" IT.

We work with several other venues and have our own website, and those payment received through PayPal on those venues STILL appear in PayPal immediately and are available for transfer to our banks immediately.  So eBay is getting the funds already processed by PayPal - and eBay does NOT need to "process" them again - but they're holding them anyway.  It is a means of providing eBay with cash that they can then use interest-free for 2-4 days.  THAT is rigging the system.  When someone pays using PayPal, PayPal IS the money processor, and eBay really needs to do nothing further on that payment.  It does get tracked within PayPal to your account as well - it's just that the source of the payment, if coded as "eBay", causes the entire transaction to be omitted from your visible PayPal account.

Thus PayPal has been part of this well, likely figuring this was better than being completely locked out of eBay's business entirely.

I've been in programming since 1976, and this isn't rocket science, but goes on all the time in financial circles.  This is is simply at the level most folks are working with.

It isn't matter of it showing in "both places"; no one expects that at all.  However, eBay does not need to do further processing on it at all either, but are using our money for free.  If you calculate out to estimate how many people are using PayPal for payment times tens or hundreds of thousands of people each day, that's a LOT of money floating around without being paid interest on - enough to say, run a 35 billion dollar company without tapping into bank credit lines.

Message 103 of 361
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

What you may be missing about payments coming through PayPal is that PayPal told me they STILL provide the money immediately, as they did previously - but that eBay is vectoring to their MP system instead - EVEN THOUGH PAYPAL HAS ALREADY "PROCESSED" IT.

We work with several other venues and have our own website, and those payment received through PayPal on those venues STILL appear in PayPal immediately and are available for transfer to our banks immediately.  So eBay is getting the funds already processed by PayPal - and eBay does NOT need to "process" them again - but they're holding them anyway.  It is a means of providing eBay with cash that they can then use interest-free for 2-4 days.  THAT is rigging the system.  When someone pays using PayPal, PayPal IS the money processor, and eBay really needs to do nothing further on that payment.  It does get tracked within PayPal to your account as well - it's just that the source of the payment, if coded as "eBay", causes the entire transaction to be omitted from your visible PayPal account.

Thus PayPal has been part of this well, likely figuring this was better than being completely locked out of eBay's business entirely.

I've been in programming since 1976, and this isn't rocket science, but goes on all the time in financial circles.  This is is simply at the level most folks are working with.

It isn't matter of it showing in "both places"; no one expects that at all.  However, eBay does not need to do further processing on it at all either, but are using our money for free.  If you calculate out to estimate how many people are using PayPal for payment times tens or hundreds of thousands of people each day, that's a LOT of money floating around without being paid interest on - enough to say, run a 35 billion dollar company without tapping into bank credit lines.

I'm not missing that fact.  I've very familiar with how PP works.  I'm unsure as to why you think I don't.  What you are missing is that when a buyer submits a payment via PP to a seller's MP account, PP is no longer acting as the money processor.  Show while the person from PP told you this, they are incorrect in the fact that PP is NOT the money processor on the transaction, MP is.  PP processes the information, but the actual money is processed by MP once we are in MP.

You are suggesting that PP is acting as the money processor and MP is acting as the money processor too.  They both are not doing the same job.  Nor are both companies being paid for actually doing the money processing.

Message 104 of 361
latest reply

I 100% agree. I got my first dose of it today. I sold an expensive item on Thursday last week, and its monday now....and I just got a message that the payment has processed and funds are sent, which will take 3-5 business days. Like woah, wait a second....I was told that I would get the money is 3-5 business days....in my bank. So now its going to take a week or longer? This is totally garbage. I should have the choice of whether I want to stay with the old system or switch to the new one. Is there a way to reverse it once you've signed up?

Message 105 of 361
latest reply