cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I sent an item without tracking and the buyer says they haven't received it.

I have the receipt with the address, but the estimated delivery is four days ago.  What should my next steps be?

Message 1 of 12
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@anne_mike_sam 

Unfortunately, this is a lesson on the importance of having tracking on all your packages. 

No proof of delivery via tracking, you must refund.

I wish that there was something else that I could tell you.

Wishing you the best moving forward, 

Grandma 

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 12
latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

@anne_mike_sam 

Unfortunately, this is a lesson on the importance of having tracking on all your packages. 

No proof of delivery via tracking, you must refund.

I wish that there was something else that I could tell you.

Wishing you the best moving forward, 

Grandma 

Message 2 of 12
latest reply

Exactly what I was going to say, Grandma.  Good advice.  Hopefully it wasn't an expensive lesson learned.  Never ship without tracking.

evry1nositswindy  •  seller since 2013
Volunteer Community Mentor

Message 3 of 12
latest reply

I have the receipt with the address, but four days before the estimated delivery. 

Tell me to see because there are more days. Maybe a delay in the mail. Why was the item sent to him without being tracked? Isn’t that risky?

Message 4 of 12
latest reply

@anne_mike_sam wrote:

I have the receipt with the address, but the estimated delivery is four days ago.  What should my next steps be?

@anne_mike_sam 

Your next step is to wait. If your buyer opens an Item Not Received claim, you'll have to refund. No case, no refund.

Message 5 of 12
latest reply

Yep.  eBay has taken the whole thing into a fantasy land where all items will have tracking purchased for them, and will be recorded at the other end.

I sell low priced, small items that I cannot justify the expense of tracking for.  When I get one of these "not recieved" complaints, it's almost always a "case."  It does NOT matter what you do.  EBay has determined that you are in the wrong.  Even though it's through coercion.  That is to say "You signed the agreement," even though the only answer they gave me when they shut my account off because I did not agree to their new terms was, "You have to sign the agreement, or you cannot sell on eBay..."

I cannot purchase the tracking envelopes for my items, because eBay will not cover seeds, and there is still no guarantee the postal worker will scan on the other end, this not being a format they are used to.  If there's a case opened, I have to refund them, or take hits from the algorithm.

Message 6 of 12
latest reply

On this one, nothing but refund the buyer. The next step, never ship without a tracking number. 

Message 7 of 12
latest reply

@anne_mike_sam 

Unfortunately,  it sounds like this may not be the venue for your items any longer. 

If you look at all of the issues that plague sellers and buyers, in today's world, I believe that you may understand the necessity of tracking any and all packages sent.  It is for both the seller and the buyer.

The world is changing and either we find a way to work through it all or we don't.  My hope is that you do.

To all your future successful sales,

Grandma 

Message 8 of 12
latest reply

Call their Postoffice. Someone did that to me , luckily the postman knew the guy and  he did pick it up. To add to his petty larceny  he listed the Golf Club  with the serial number I had on my listing. Caught him red handed , should have turned him in. 

Message 9 of 12
latest reply

I don’t agree on this one. Some items aren’t worth selling with tracking. Plenty of sellers sell this way. Sure, it is a risk that your customer indicates that the package was never received. But, if you can save $200 on shipping costs in a year, and only pay out $20 in items not received claims, then you are golden..

Message 10 of 12
latest reply

Good news!  The buyer was very kind and patient and the item eventually made it!  Yay!  Still learned my lesson.  Pay for tracking (or make the buyer pay) unless you are willing to refund.  Thank you everyone!

Message 11 of 12
latest reply

Then it isn't worth selling, and it isn't worth the risk. @powell-memorabilia 

Maybe it's just me because my average sale is $97.00. I don't want to sell anything under $20.00. Seems like too much work. 

Message 12 of 12
latest reply