cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Your tracking number is not recognized

Ebay approved a return on a defective item, I printed the ebay supplied shipping label, but when I try to enter the number into the textbox and correctly select the carrier USPS it says, "Your tracking number is not recognized."

When I the identical number into the USPS tracking web page it shows the package status.

It's impossible to contact ebay as far as I know. And it's very important that we enter the shipping number in order to get the refund if I understand that policy correctly. Ebay's saving bank not taking phone calls, but they're screwing us on customer service.

What are my options?

Message 1 of 13
latest reply
1 BEST ANSWER

Accepted Solutions

@mscir wrote:

What are my options?

Don't enter the tracking number.

eBay issued the label, eBay already has the tracking number, eBay is watching for its first scan.

You'd only need to enter a tracking number @mscir if you buy your own label to return the item

View Best Answer in original post

Message 2 of 13
latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

@mscir wrote:

What are my options?

Don't enter the tracking number.

eBay issued the label, eBay already has the tracking number, eBay is watching for its first scan.

You'd only need to enter a tracking number @mscir if you buy your own label to return the item

Message 2 of 13
latest reply

I had the same problem and ended up going into Chat to make sure the correct tracking number was added.  Up until then ebay was nagging me to provide a tracking number, so I was pretty sure the tracking from the ebay label had not been included.  There is no place within the new 'purchase history' that has replaced 'resolution center' that shows the tracking from an ebay-created return label.

jaja, I am not convinced one part of ebay knows what another part is doing, so a little confirmation for security's sake is called for, especially when you might not get your money otherwise.

Coffee is my friend.

T&S Tool #10mm ratchet
Message 3 of 13
latest reply

The error message has been updated to be less helpful ... but it's the same time-waster trap, still.

2018 Can't upload return Tracking Number

The message above is what displays when trying to upload a tracking number to a return request.

Should I purchase my own label or continue hitting my head against the wall?

2017 So, ebay has the tracking # in their system for a return

This is with the ebay shipping return label that I got in my e-mail. Tried to input the tracking number into ebay and I got that message: "The tracking number you have provided already exists in our system. Please use a valid tracking number for this return."

2016 Can't upload tracking to return case

I received an item that is SNAD, seller accepted the return and I received an ebay return label. I printed the label but I cannot add the tracking number!

Message 4 of 13
latest reply

Thanks everyone who replied, the page is very poorly constructed. My last 2 problems with disreputable sellers have forced me to try to deal with ebay to resolve them, both times I spent a lot of time and was disappointed with the results. For years I've preferred ebay over amazon because it's easier to contact the seller, but I'm going to use Amazon more and see if I can avoid ebay.

Message 5 of 13
latest reply

Sometimes the scan does not work so.... I'll emailed them

Message 6 of 13
latest reply

Right, except eBay literally tells us to add the tracking number or else we won't get our refund...

Message 7 of 13
latest reply

Thanks so much for this. Why can't Ebay just give a brief instruction?

Message 8 of 13
latest reply

Still looking for USPS TRACKING NUMBER FOR ORDER#

05-08547-76481.  Just deadends...Please explain? Your payment 

system is a complete wreck!

Message 9 of 13
latest reply

How did you email them, what was the email address you used

Message 10 of 13
latest reply

Why doesn't eBay say that in that section, then? eBay and PayPal are so incompetent when it comes to questions and difficulties like this!

Message 11 of 13
latest reply

What is it with all of these zombie threads being resurrected? 

download.jpg

I have been imported from Australia and this is my posting ID
Message 12 of 13
latest reply

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 13 of 13
latest reply
About this board

Welcome to the Returns board! Here you can discuss returns with other members.

Returns related questions? Whether you're a buyer or a seller, check here to get started: